Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you consider someone making 2000 a month poor?

Options
  • 10-05-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

This question is following a jokey debate between me and a friend. This would be referring to someone in their mid twenties living in Cork. This is after tax :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Is this person living at home with mommy and daddy, or are they out on their own with rent/mortgage and associated bills does this person have kids and spouse? does this person own a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 thecraicaddict

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Is this person living at home with mommy and daddy, or are they out on their own with rent/mortgage and associated bills does this person have kids and spouse? does this person own a car?

Living in a houseshare, paying 300 a month in rent. No car. My friend is convinced they're poor... I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Ok so after tax wage of E500 per week monthly rent of E300 and assume E250 per month for other things like food, esb, etc and assume that this person does not have large loan/debt. That leaves E1450 per month to do what ever they like with. So I would have to agree with you, this person is doing well and should be very comfortable and definitely not poor in the true meaning of the word

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Living in a houseshare, paying 300 a month in rent. No car. My friend is convinced they're poor... I don't think so.

HAHAHAHA :D I know so many people like this that think they're poor. They have no f*ckn idea what poor is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Living in a houseshare, no car... Let me guess, spends entire wage on booze / clothes? They might feel poor if they have nothing tangible to show for their work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭duffalosoldier

Poor??? Hardly.

Suppose they hook up with a spouse earning the same- €4000 a month will go a long way living in Cork....

.......if they were living in Dublin on the other hand......

Poor??? Hardly.

Suppose they hook up with a spouse earning the same- €4000 a month will go a long way living in Cork....

.......if they were living in Dublin on the other hand......

Yeah, Dublin is alot more expensive! I saw an article in the newspaper the other day about a cupboard under the stairs for rent in a Dublin city centre bedsit for 230 euro a month, Google it!

Being rich or poor is just a state of mind anyway, you can live ina mansion with butlers ann feel empty, like you have nothing, or you can live a modest lifestyle and feel like you have the world! This obviously would not apply to people in third world countries with no food of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

This question is following a jokey debate between me and a friend. This would be referring to someone in their mid twenties living in Cork. This is after tax :)

I actually find this somewhat offensive. No, even before tax, that wouldn't qualify a single person in their mid-twenties (in Cork) as being 'poor', assuming no dependents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

No they are definitely not poor. If they are have trouble meeting ends meet it's because they aren't managing their money correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Speaking as someone with a mortgage, wife and 2 kids to support on a similar income they are unfathomably rich to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I wouldn't possibly consider that poor. After tax that's a pretty damn good wage, especially if they only pay €300 a month rent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

No they are not poor. Give him a kick up the hole from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

They sir, are a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

And with all that money, I'd be willing to bet there's nothing put away for a rainy day either!

Fool...

professore wrote: »
    Speaking as someone with a mortgage, wife and 2 kids to support on a similar income they are unfathomably rich to me.

Good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Some people are time poor. Maybe the person is working long hours in an unpredictable customer facing job requiring huge eating out expenses, dry cleaning expenses etc. Maybe the person smokes and drinks a lot eating up any spare cash. Who knows??

I know that when I work late we resort to take out food costing a lot more than home made food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

With no car expenses and household bills smaller as more people to split with, that will be one hell of lunch bill every month

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

that's not poor I would think it is really good, jes I have about half that and pay for car, small loan and consider myself very lucky..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

that person deserves a massive kick in the hole.... what age are they? Im not surprised of that attitude, I know of people who clear more than 2,000 after tax a month, only have rent no kids and still have to ask parents to give them a dig out.
    on that amount at one stage I was paying 320 in rent, car repayment of around 200 a month, tax, insure and petrol, put away a bit each month for a rainy day fund, still have a social life and go on a holiday each year. I remember one day at work years ago I had car trouble and had to dip into the rainy day fund. I passed a comment at work thank god for the rainy day fund that I didn't have to ask my parent and one person turned around and asked whats a rainy day fund.. she never heard of a thing and when I ask did she have money aside for unforeseen events she goes no why would I need to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I'm mid twenties and make 1800ish a month after tax, but I have Dublin rent, car loan, car tax, car insurance, food etc to pay for... I'm not well off but there's always food on the table and I manage save enough for a decent 10-14 day holiday every year. Your mate needs, as has been suggested by others, a kick right up the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's all relative. Of course it's not "poor". If you can comfortably feed yourself and pay your bills you're not poor.

As most people said on this he needs a kick up the hole,
    Families being fed of less than that.

poor is struggling to feed yourself and pay for rent/mortgage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Hah, something wrong with my brain that I read the topic as: would you consider someone making 2000 (people) a month poor?

Thought it was an election thread.. hell no I'd never consider anyone who made that many poor.

that person deserves a massive kick in the hole.... what age are they? Im not surprised of that attitude, I know of people who clear more than 2,000 after tax a month, only have rent no kids and still have to ask parents to give them a dig out.
    on that amount at one stage I was paying 320 in rent, car repayment of around 200 a month, tax, insure and petrol, put away a bit each month for a rainy day fund, still have a social life and go on a holiday each year. I remember one day at work years ago I had car trouble and had to dip into the rainy day fund. I passed a comment at work thank god for the rainy day fund that I didn't have to ask my parent and one person turned around and asked whats a rainy day fund.. she never heard of a thing and when I ask did she have money aside for unforeseen events she goes no why would I need to do that.

It does not matter how much you have, if you are bad enough with money no amount is enough I guess. I personally could never feel comfortable unless I have a bit of money in the bank to fall back on.

aaronc182 wrote: »
    As most people said on this he needs a kick up the hole,
    Families being fed of less than that.

poor is struggling to feed yourself and pay for rent/mortgage!

That's a very good point, people on the dole live on almost a quatre of that.

Advertisement