Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Paving: Dug down 6 inches, now what?

• 10-05-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,

Newbie to paving here. I am planning to pave my back garden with 400x400x40 paving slabs. I have excavated 6 inches from my back garden (see image) and need advise on the next steps. Please don't tell me I need to excavate further, don't think I could face picking up the shovel again!

Here's what I plan to do next:

1. (Not Sure) - put down anti-weed barrier. The garden had a fair number of weeds, is this necessary? I so, what should I buy?
    2. Lay down sub base. Gonna lay down 4 inches of sub base. What should I buy and where? Can someone recommend somewhere to buy it?
    3. Lay down 1 inch dry 8 parts sand to 1 cement mix.
    4. Lay down slabs.

Am I missing something? Also, I plan to make sure there is a 1:40 slope away from the house towards the back wall, whats the trick to making sure this slope goes in ok? Last question: I plan to use spacers between the slabs, where can I get these.

Many thanks any help!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Many thanks any help!!!!
    Great site for any questions you have.
    http://www.pavingexpert.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

Not an expert but have you a plan for drainage?
    Do you need the sub base of concrete?
    Looks like a lot of concrete to me would aggregate with a sand on top be better?
    Laid sandstone pavers (uneven thickness) on a sand base and cement pointing and it works.

Advertisement