Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Opinion in History Essays

• 10-05-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering how much personal opinion should I be putting in Essays? I normally tend to get high marks in essays (A2 level) however others in my class get higher marks, usually over 90 and having looked at their mock papers I can see they don't have nearly as much facts as me, but more analysis and opinion. Is this just my Teacher or is this the same in the LC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

Give your opinion as long as you don't make any bold statements and be able to back it up and don't make it biased ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Analysis should be done through out ie relevance of points and referring to the question. Giving your opinion should be left to the end. If you do 7 paragraphs and get between 8-11 on each (many examiners don't give 12s much) then you should get 60/60. By referring to the question in every paragraph, laying out your aims at the beginning and having a strong concluding paragraph with reference to what happened after the event e.g. Hitler lost the war and committed suicide. Goebbels' murdered his family then killed himself. Or something like that. If you do all that you should be able to get at least 30/40 without an opinion piece. Thus bringing you to >90%.

The key is getting 60/60 for facts. Many people get 28 or above in OE but don't get the A because they got 54 or so in the CM

Advertisement