Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 3 – May 11th, Armagh - Dublin 187km **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Jawgap wrote: »
    My only two gripes were the apparent lack of interest shown by businesses in Dublin
    In town there was a lot of places that didn't seem to take any notice of the giro. I went looking for a coffee, Cafe Sol opposite Kennedys was closed, the place next to it only had one lad working, the spot down closer to Pearse St only had two. Shot themselves in the foot really - could have been a bumper day for them.
    kencoo wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the warmdown/team trucks where in dublin?
    Yeah I was walking home towards Ballsbridge and they were all cycling down that way. Bizzare see 10 pro cyclists stopped at traffic lights. Interestingly they all ditched their helmets at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Watched the race in Castlebellingham,the main street was lined with people,very impressive,as normally its a very quite backwater off a village.Made me proud of Ireland today , and our people , for such a minority sport as cycling, us Irish really got out in numbers to see it.Now whats the chance that local cycle races can use the roads of east Meath, east Louth and Nrth Co Dublin without problems from the man??

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

i was at the second (i think) koh at Fews Forest over the border. great atmosphere on the road despite the downpours before and after the bunch passed. random snapped Cadel and all. Caught the end of the race just before they hit the quays. really quiet spectator-wise at the massive corner i was at. 8/9 people max

10322549_10154152214500305_8996569410316394691_n.jpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 melody_cool

Hey there everyone, hope you are all having a good day!
    A friend of mine who lives in Canada asked me to get her something from the Giro D'Italia for her husband who is a biking fan...where would I get merchandise/items?
    Thanks! Tina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

If your in Bari on Tuesday you should be able to get some stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

A friend of mine who lives in Canada asked me to get her something from the Giro D'Italia for her husband who is a biking fan...where would I get merchandise/items?
    Thanks! Tina.

chainreaction.com have stuff. Search giro and it comes up. Pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

random snapped Cadel and all.

Haha, me too, they were so fast I just done a few burst snaps with the iPhone and hoped for the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thanks! Tina.

Cycleways in a Dublin a few bits and pieces of their own merchandise.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Anyone else catch this? "These overlook the landscape"

http://i.imgur.com/iiC3qCM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Bizzare see 10 pro cyclists stopped at traffic lights. Interestingly they all ditched their helmets at the finish line.

They were lucky. Could have all been killed.

• Advertisement

Hadn't thought of that before, regarding Santoramita tweet. Is it something intentionally done at death, i.e. to lose the wheel ahead to make rival teams lose time or is it just universally seen as beyond the pale? Surely the implications would be too chaotic for it to be an employed tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

pelevin wrote: »
    They were lucky. Could have all been killed.

I was going into Balbriggan Garda station in the morning with video evidence of them running the same lights I got warning for rolling through one morning!

And don't get me started on the riding two abreast......they mustn't have seen the RSA's ad.

Jawgap wrote: »
    I was going into Balbriggan Garda station in the morning with video evidence of them running the same lights I got warning for rolling through one morning!

And don't get me started on the riding two abreast......they mustn't have seen the RSA's ad.

They're all against the little man.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 melody_cool

Thank you very much for the reply guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Thank you very much for the reply guys!

Apologies for the world and most people whom after walking and queuing for an hour or two before the caravan arrives,
    they then que browse ..peruse ...
    maybe then buy stuff then wait for all those feckin bikes to go by, then walk back another km or four .... And reply to someone on boards....who never bothered ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

What made the day today was that for the finish in town there was no rain. And for that reason today was my favourite plus it was at home so strolled into town and got to the outside of Kennedys about 10 minutes beforehand and what a great view. Funny banner there too:D

Then got to see the final presentations and finally to Merrion Square for the cycle show where I met Sean Kelly. What a gent and he was more than willing to chat away. Superb!

A couple of observations on the day. It was incredible that some people brought in prams and buggies into what was always going to be a very busy day especially at the finish line. I saw one woman with a dog!

Also the english commentator repeatedly pronounced Oisin Quinn's name as O Sheen. Surely someone could have had a word or maybe the Lord Mayor doesnt give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

godtabh wrote: »
    Scarcasim ?

Hardly. He was in charge of the organisation of these three days. It's also not the mcquaid that you are thinking of. It's his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Who is this O Sheen person you speak about....had he a bike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

I managed to get myself just with a view of the final corner/corners and got myself a fairly good video while snapping away at the same time, cool feature on my phone that I'm likely never to use again. But hey, results weren't terrible either.

Pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/4w8Lr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Well that was fun. Sensational crowds. For all the bickering pre-race about how the build up in the North was much more publicized, every town in Ireland today seemed to have far bigger turnouts than Antrim yesterday.

Spent the day in around the Europcar shop at the 700m to go mark - they had a lovely little setup/party there. Cheers to all there.

Watched the stage on Eurosport when I got home, fairly sedate day, lots of crashes and punctures but nothing too serious. Ironic after all my moaning about how crap the surface on Clontarf road was that it was Roche that got a puncture there!

Ie loved it but with the weather I can't see a grand tour rushing back to Ireland unfortunately. I'd say the cyclists will be delighted to be flying to Italy tomorrow.

Obviously you didn't watch last years Giro where riders battled rain, snow and hypothermia in Italy in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

SHOVELLER wrote: »

Also the english commentator repeatedly pronounced Oisin Quinn's name as O Sheen. Surely someone could have had a word or maybe the Lord Mayor doesnt give a ****.

faulty ireland was funnier (failte)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Excellent again. They've been in top form of late.

BnXHEYrCYAAil1F.png

Maybe its just me, but I think Paddy Power are an absolute disgrace. The shock-jock marketing attempts are not lost on me - and they clearly work, they have people (me included) taking about them, which is Objective #1 for them - but pathetic stunts like this are an embarrassment to the country on a day when we were trying to showcase all that was good about the country. Is "unpatriotic" too strong? PP CEO Patrick Kennedy obvious fancies himself as a chip off the old Michael O'Leary block, but on a day like this, to pull a stupid stunt like that - and especially following the bet he offered on the Pistorius trial - shows him and his low rent company to be a sad joke.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

BTW, has anyone picked up from Twitter any of the riders opinions on today stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    BTW, has anyone picked up from Twitter any of the riders opinions on today stage?

Heard a few complaints about rain but all said how wonderful the fans were and the country

Daniel Oss ‏@Daniel87Oss 5h
    Another stress day done.. Amazing people during the stages.. Really excited about this amazing Island!!! http://instagram.com/p/n3Wes-rhMa/

Cadel Evans ‏@CadelOfficial 5h
    Just getting used to this Irish style of Giro d'Italia...the people are much friendlier than the conditions

Team Sky @TeamSky · 5h
    Ireland, you did us proud, over to Italy now! View the best pics from stage 3 of the #Giro

Nicholas Roche ‏@nicholasroche
    Great atmosphere once again!! #BestFansInTheWorld

cycling podcast discussing in dept at bout 20mins in
    https://audioboo.fm/boos/2152946-three-days-in-the-emerald-isle

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

A friend of mine wrote on Facebook;

An amazing morning in Armagh but one thing sticks in my memory..in the middle of the large crowds in the paddock on the Mall, David Tanner riding bike number 47 while cycling through took his cap off and placed it on the knee of a young man in a wheelchair,no words spoke and he was gone..this young guy
    couldnt rush from team to team looking pics or autographs but through the kindness of David Tanner he had a momento he will treasure.Still a few good people left in this mad world yet..

My mate felt moved to write to David Tanner on twitter;

@davidjtanner In Armagh this morning noticed you cycling and placing your cap on the knee of a young guy in a wheelchair..a class act#respect

David Tanner replied on twitter;

@CUCHULAINNS it made my day!

That was what David Tanner of Belkin wrote on twitter. David Tanner is very highly thought of in Armagh this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Got wee video when passing through Larne up North yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMHxOTxx0g

• Registered Users Posts: 25 zymar

I couldn't agree with more blaaman, paddy power are gone to a new low they are a disgrace and total embarrassment, the northern Ireland tourist board and Failte Ireland must be utterly disgusted and everyone else trying to showcase cycling and the country well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Nico's diary..
    At this stage, 11 seconds is a lot of time lost and I'm disappointed with that, but most of the other GC riders also got caught out, so it could have been much worse.

What I have experienced over the last three days racing in Ireland was unbelievable. I know I'll never experience that again. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/its-strange-for-me-to-be-riding-the-giro-into-towns-where-i-have-raced-as-a-schoolboy-30265165.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Good joke, great advertising, nobody cares in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

It was so much fun (& nostalgic) watching the stage and recognising the route. Beautiful...

The bloke managing the number of TV adds during the stage was asleep though. At 3km to go he woke up, realised he is behind & decided to run a 1 minute add, just to repeat it again at 250m to go..... It has been a while since I last had an opportunity to display some choice words learned in Ireland to the neighbours....:o

Advertisement