Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 3 – May 11th, Armagh - Dublin 187km **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

omicron wrote: »
    Saw the entire Colombia team afterward, their average height is about 5'3'', they're tiny, even smaller than they look on telly!

Yeah that struck me at the TTT also. I hung around them at the paddock, not a word of English between them but seemed like a friendly enough organization. They are most definitely among the have-nots. They rented a fairly crappy looking camper van locally, really stood out compared to the mega-buses of Astana and Sky. I think Neri Sottoli take the prize as being the most broke-looking team around though. At least Colombia had a mechanics truck, Neri seemed to be operating out of a regular van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

MPFG wrote: »
    OOps split in the peloton ...not good fro GC guys ....Good for Mjka though as he is highest placed GC guy to get the advantage

It's only 11seconds so its unlikely to affect the overall result, but Roche was still unfortunate that he needed that bike change, he probably would have been in that front group, which would have given him a realistic chance of getting into Pink on stage 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    After seeing the peloton pass in Lusk today I can add "used team car" to the list of things I no longer want.

It was like seeing a touring car race following a bicycle race.

And you never called in to say hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

got there too late for the sprint, but managed to work my way slowly thru the crowd for some of the presentations, this is where being big&tall with long arms comes in handy

10369137_10154180946055604_271175846938796489_n.jpg

1498789_10154181015060604_3873854425920778853_o.jpg

10258158_10154181015490604_7411821361003095460_o.jpg

10333626_10154181020470604_2989781706686512118_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Bukman13 wrote: »
    It's only 11seconds so its unlikely to affect the overall result, but Roche was still unfortunate that he needed that bike change, he probably would have been in that front group, which would have given him a realistic chance of getting into Pink on stage 5.

Maybe but Santamorita is not happy on twitter about whoever dropped the wheel .....may have been OGE..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Kittel in red, Farrar and Ferrari fighting behind! The shot I have after this one Farrar has his forearm on Ferrari's leg! :cool:

HbPrVqV.jpg

Higher res here - http://i.imgur.com/dj32aao.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

omicron wrote: »
    Saw the entire Colombia team afterward, their average height is about 5'3'', they're tiny, even smaller than they look on telly!
    Yeah that struck me at the TTT also. I hung around them at the paddock, not a word of English between them but seemed like a friendly enough organization. They are most definitely among the have-nots. They rented a fairly crappy looking camper van locally, really stood out compared to the mega-buses of Astana and Sky. I think Neri Sottoli take the prize as being the most broke-looking team around though. At least Colombia had a mechanics truck, Neri seemed to be operating out of a regular van.

I managed to get a picture with Rubiano from Team Colombia and good lord he is tiny!!! He's 5'5 and 58kg, Im 6'1 and around 95kg.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Got into town early and walked the last 1.5km looking for a good vantage point. Picked out a spot on the tight right turn leading from south quays onto Lombard Street. Walked up to finish line and onto cycle show.
    Headed away for a coffee and came back at 3pm.
    In 90minutes the roads went from being empty to being thronged.
    Fantastic view about 100m inside the 1k marker.
    Cannondale hammering it around the corner for Viviani, but Kittel seemed well back - I would have said outside first 10.
    I ended up standing next to Ras Mumhan organiser who I found out has a brother who is a neighbour of mine.

Great day but over way too soon, but that's racing I guess.
    Good to see such a turnout.

mcquaid needs to go off now and get the tour de france back to ireland. was a great weekend for the whole island and shows what can be done when organisations on both sides of the border work together

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

neris wrote: »
    mcquaid needs to go off now and get the tour de france back to ireland. was a great weekend for the whole island and shows what can be done when organisations on both sides of the border work together

Scarcasim ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

well, just watched it now. That was fantastic. I was impressed by the number of people lining the streets. Well done Ireland.

It was also flipping great to see the peleton rolling along roads that I regularly train on. Bye bye any KOMs I had on those roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

Was in town to see the race so obviously wanted to catch up on all but the 2.3 seconds I saw, recorded it on Eurosport and just watched last hour, great crowds throughout and what a finish from Kittel! Hope we see him in TDF on that form

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Well that was fun. Sensational crowds. For all the bickering pre-race about how the build up in the North was much more publicized, every town in Ireland today seemed to have far bigger turnouts than Antrim yesterday.

Spent the day in around the Europcar shop at the 700m to go mark - they had a lovely little setup/party there. Cheers to all there.

Watched the stage on Eurosport when I got home, fairly sedate day, lots of crashes and punctures but nothing too serious. Ironic after all my moaning about how crap the surface on Clontarf road was that it was Roche that got a puncture there!

I loved it but with the weather I can't see a grand tour rushing back to Ireland unfortunately. I'd say the cyclists will be delighted to be flying to Italy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Man with camera being filmed by man with camera,
    Camera inception

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

MPFG wrote: »
    Maybe but Santamorita is not happy on twitter about whoever dropped the wheel .....may have been OGE..

Yea, he ain't happy because he would have been in a great position to take the race lead in stage 5 had there been no splits.

Hahahah, His tweet.

Ivan Santaromita ‏@ivansantino 3m
    Congratulations to peloton "amateurs" that have no legs or for follow team orders make cut-back in the last km to see who falls into the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Yea, he ain't happy because he would have been in a great position to take the race lead in stage 5 had there been no splits.

Hahahah, His tweet.

Ivan Santaromita ‏@ivansantino 3m
    Congratulations to peloton "amateurs" that have no legs or for follow team orders make cut-back in the last km to see who falls into the net

I can't blame him really ..great chance to take jersey in his own country...but what baffles me is I thought it was OGE team mates who dropped the wheel (mayeb I am wrong) & Matthews still has the jersey .....could eh be critising OGE .I thought they all loved each other

godtabh wrote: »
    Scarcasim ?

nope not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Doc07

Really enjoyed it even though it was all over in seconds. The Garda were fairly relaxed at the end. Got up close enough to say hello to Kittel as he walked off wheeling his little suitcase. Think I said hello to Tom Veelers also as he was heading down Baggot St for a warm down. Met a Boardsie pushing his small one in a buggy, forgot to ask your name, well done on the upgrade to A3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

how wet did they get? weather was nice for the finish, but I presume they went thru some nasty showers along the route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Well the wait was worth it. Good vantage point down at the Station rd/Coast rd/Strand rd junction in Portmarknock. Lots of excitement among the locals beforehand and they seemed happy enough afterwards given the short duration of the actual event.

Watching the recording of the race this evening and its amazing and great that so many turned out along the route given the perceived lack of publicity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

how wet did they get? weather was nice for the finish, but I presume they went thru some nasty showers along the route?

A few at the start but nothing major, not like the drenching they got yesterday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was saying to the OH earlier, that if I was not Irish, and had never been to Ireland, the scenery shots would have me seriously considering visiting

I live in North County Dublin and was amazed at how gorgeous everything I see as ordinary and everyday looked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Stheno wrote: »
    I was saying to the OH earlier, that if I was not Irish, and had never been to Ireland, the scenery shots would have me seriously considering visiting

I live in North County Dublin and was amazed at how gorgeous everything I see as ordinary and everyday looked

I was thinking the same thing - even D1 looked half decent.

I blame the sunshine tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thought everywhere looked great.

My only two gripes were the apparent lack of interest shown by businesses in Dublin - it seemed the larger the town the less inclined they were to put in an effort. Balbriggan, Skerries, Malahide etc all looked great. Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk not so much.

And my second gripe.......election posters especially in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Does anyone know where the warmdown/team trucks where in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

kencoo wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the warmdown/team trucks where in dublin?

Outside Aviva

Jawgap wrote: »
    And my second gripe.......election posters especially in the city centre.

well known dentist out my way didnt seem to have any of his taken down also saw a sinn feinn eu poster right on the finish line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I know as they approached the feedzone there was a shower of biblical proportions and there were small rivers running down the road.
    2 bottles landed at my feet were filled with warm tea.
    A lot of the break and peleton had their ,I preume, gabba's on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭omicron

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I loved it but with the weather I can't see a grand tour rushing back to Ireland unfortunately. I'd say the cyclists will be delighted to be flying to Italy tomorrow.

Not half as bad as a lot of the giro last year though!

Advertisement