Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicke's Study Log

Options
  • 11-05-2014 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Less then a month left until Leaving Cert, I need to speed up and get everything ready for the exams as much as I can.

So, my story:
    I moved to Ireland from Serbia less than two years ago (August 2012), and started LC1 straight away. I have never spoke English before, however I did studied it at my old school for about 7,8 years.
    Basically I am very happy with my achievements, considering the huge change in society, language, school, people, city and everything else you can think of (even water tastes differently). I was living in a city with 2 million people, and now I'm living in a town with 15 thousand people. Huge change
    Therefore, my goal is to get about 500 points and hopefully move to Dublin and get my place in TCD, TR033 (Computer Science course).

"When a young man moves from small to a big city, he'll need time, but eventually he will get used to it. However, if a young man moves from a big city, to a small one, his soul will get used to it, only when his body gets old." - Me :D
    Haha, jokes aside.

Subjects I am doing:
    English HL
    Maths HL
    Applied Maths HL
    Physics HL
    Engineering HL
    Construction Studies HL
    Croatian HL

I have an exemption in Irish because I was born outside of Ireland, and I dropped German few months ago because I never studied it before, it was my only ordinary subject and I was getting Cs and Ds.
    Which means I have about 12 free classes a week, where I also do some study.

Mocks results:|
    English 62%|65 points
    Maths 48%|75 points
    Applied Maths 32% |N/A
    Physics 74% |75 points
    Engineering 77% |80 points
    Construction Studies 75% |75 points
    Croatian |no mock paper

This leaves me with 370 points in 5 subjects + at least 60 in Croatian (I'm fluent) = 430

I was very disappointed with both Maths and Applied Maths, because generally I am very good in Maths. I messed up my P1 in Maths because I couldn't concentrate because of the big storm that was at the west coast that day. After which I was so annoyed, cause I knew I've messed it up, and then I messed up Applied Maths on the day after that.
    Also I was doing Accounting in LC1 and because I've never done anything similar to it, I was finding it very hard, so I changed it to Construction Studies in October (LC2), where I'm doing pretty good.

However
    Hoping for:|
    English |C3 (not counting)
    Maths |B2
    Applied Maths |A1
    Physics |B2
    Engineering |A1
    Construction Studies |A2
    Croatian |B2

Which is about 555, way more than I need, but it is doable.

So, I hope this way of organizing will help me, and push me in the last run, last month, and that I will achieve my goal!

Feel free to post in this topic, comment on anything and everything :p
    What's the point of online study log if no one is going to interact, I could do it on a paper as well. Hope I'll motivate some of ye, and that ye'll motivate me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

10th of May:
    -Engineering - Iron Carbon Diagrams - revised
    --Physics - Electricity & Radiation - some bits revised
    However, I didn't do any exam questions, so I hope I'll get them done tomorrow.

11th of May:
    -Engineering - do exam questions - 2012 - Q2, Q3, 2011 - Q2, 2010 - Q2 2013 was already done in class
    -Physics - do exam questions on experiments and revise them along - 2013
    -Applied Maths - Revise Q2 and do homework for Monday
    -Maths - still to figure out (some exam questions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

your english is superb; well done. What do you mean by LC1 and LC2?

oncex wrote: »
    your english is superb; well done. What do you mean by LC1 and LC2?

Thanks :) Um, that's how they call it here, LC1 - Leaving Cert first year, LC2 - Leaving Cert second year

12th of May:
    Moved from yesterday :(
    -Maths - still to figure out (some exam questions)

Will add more tasks tomorrow.

- Applied Maths - Q2 a) parts 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002
    - Applied Maths - Q2 b) parts 2005, 2004, 2003
    - Construction - Drawings + Homework 1 + Homework 2
    - Construction - Q5 - U-values - 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

So this is quite a large chunk of work, but that's what needs to be done over next couple of days. I will be doing and marking here what have I done.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Best of Luck, I agree with oncex .. Your English is possibly better than mine :L

• Advertisement

ejayy wrote: »
    Best of Luck, I agree with oncex .. Your English is possibly better than mine :L

Thanks! :) Turn that to your side, make it motivate you. If I could score that grade in HL English with less than two years living in English-speaking country, you can score better!
    Good luck!

Fortunately for me I'm repeating so I'm not doing English I got a C1 in higher last year .. hate the subject! :P

Good luck to you too! :)

13th of May:
    Moved from yesterday
    -Maths - finish sample paper
    - Applied Maths - Q2 a) parts 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002 b) 2008
    (bold is homework for tomorrow, although I've done many of these questions on class, I aim to do them all at home, again)
    - Construction - Homework 1
    - Construction - Q5 - U-values - 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
    - Engineering - 2012 Q3

14th of May:
    I didn't do much yesterday :( so I'll try to be more productive today. My main problem is that I don't start studying before 8 pm, at least -.-

-Maths - finish sample paper
    - Applied Maths - Q2 a) parts 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2002 b) 2010
    (bold is homework for tomorrow, although I've done many of these questions on class, I aim to do them all at home, again)
    - Construction - Homework 1
    - Construction - Q5 - U-values - 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
    - Construction - Chimney Drawing

Hey can it ask you a question?

I only picked physics up this year and obviously don't have time to revise the full course, I really hate mechanics and I'm good enough at electricity, particle physics optics etc. would I be risking it if I don't do mechanics but I do the mechanics experiments??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

ejayy wrote: »
    Hey can it ask you a question?

I only picked physics up this year and obviously don't have time to revise the full course, I really hate mechanics and I'm good enough at electricity, particle physics optics etc. would I be risking it if I don't do mechanics but I do the mechanics experiments??

People do this every year. According to my teacher it is possible to leave out different sections and the most common one is mechanics. He said you are leaving yourself very little wiggle room though and you must know your other questions. Also question 5 is quite easy but it covers the entire course so

LoveLamps wrote: »
    People do this every year. According to my teacher it is possible to leave out different sections and the most common one is mechanics. He said you are leaving yourself very little wiggle room though and you must know your other questions. Also question 5 is quite easy but it covers the entire course so

Thank you ! Yeah its just im so bad at mechanics , while im decent at electricity, dont wanna be wasting my time where i dont need to!

Yes, Mechanics and Electricity are the topics that some people leave out. However, I won't really advise you to do so, if you're aiming for an A or even a B. If you do questions 5, question 12 and particle physics question, you're left with two more questions out of 5. Hopefully you'll know other questions so that Mechanics won't affect your grade.
    Generally it's a gamble, best way is to cover everything. Mechanics isn't actually that hard, especially if you're doing Applied Maths, like I do. Good luck! :)

To do
    25th of May:
    - Maths Sample Paper 1 (Edco D)
    - Maths Sample Paper 2 (Edco D)

Advertisement