Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions regarding accommodation

Options
  • 11-05-2014 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a 6th year and applied for accomodation during the week. I got under 100 on the waiting list so I know if I get my course in UCD I should get an offer for accommodation. However, I have a few questions.

Firstly, are people from say, Donegal given preference for accomodation over people from somewhere closer to Dublin, or is everybody treated equally in the accommodation system i.e. can you get an offer for accomodation regardless of where your from, as long as your on the waiting list.

Secondly, what way does it work once you get your offer for your course, are the people lower on the waiting list sent emails regarding accommodation first or do all the emails go out simaltaneously to the 700 successful accomodation applicants.

The UCD website does have a lot of information in detail on many aspects of the accommodation, but I couldn't find answers to these questions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

It's all to do with the waiting list. If you're from Donnybrook and were lower on the list than someone from Donegal you'd get a place before them. They'll send out emails to a couple of hundred people at a time when you actually book

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

Aspiring wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a 6th year and applied for accomodation during the week. I got under 100 on the waiting list so I know if I get my course in UCD I should get an offer for accommodation. However, I have a few questions.

Firstly, are people from say, Donegal given preference for accomodation over people from somewhere closer to Dublin, or is everybody treated equally in the accommodation system i.e. can you get an offer for accomodation regardless of where your from, as long as your on the waiting list.

Secondly, what way does it work once you get your offer for your course, are the people lower on the waiting list sent emails regarding accommodation first or do all the emails go out simaltaneously to the 700 successful accomodation applicants.

The UCD website does have a lot of information in detail on many aspects of the accommodation, but I couldn't find answers to these questions.

Thanks.

The 700 emails go out at once, they tell you roughly what time they go out at and you need to be sitting at your laptop pressing F5 repeatedly when it happens if you want to have some sort of choice.

The waiting list is entirely position, which is fair enough because if you're not in greater Dublin it doesn't matter how far away you are, you can't really feasibly commute. And if you are in Dublin you're not goign to fork out at least five and a half grand for campus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

omicron wrote: »
    The 700 emails go out at once, they tell you roughly what time they go out at and you need to be sitting at your laptop pressing F5 repeatedly when it happens if you want to have some sort of choice.

The waiting list is entirely position, which is fair enough because if you're not in greater Dublin it doesn't matter how far away you are, you can't really feasibly commute. And if you are in Dublin you're not goign to fork out at least five and a half grand for campus!

Yeah I think according to the website the emails go out at 4pm. I just wasn't sure if that was all of the emails or emails for those first on the list. All cleared up now, thanks both of you.

Advertisement