Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CZ455 barrel change?

Options
  • 11-05-2014 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi every one i have a CZ 455 .22 thumb hole and as the sun its back out i have gone out a few times shooting but im stating to find the limit with the range i can shoot with the .22lr. Im looking for info on changing the barrel on my 455 to HMR .17 or HMR .22 any info would be grate thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

First do a substitution or get a new license to own the .17HMR barrel.
    Next get the new barrel. Lija do high precision barrels,
    http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/cz_455.htm

Then swop it over.

Video on changing them out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

You cant import a rifle barrell without an import licence, & you will have to go tru the hoops with AGS to change your licence, you likley will have to do a new application as some wont do subs if calibers are not the same, the easy road would be to just sell your 22 & buy the .17hmr, you wont regret the change .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sprite101100

Thanks for the reply guys so by what your saying its better for me to buy another rifle than getting the barrel. What would you recommend the wmr .22 or the hmr .17 i don't hunt yet as i cant find a place its why i bought the .22lr in the first pace and i was told the .17 can be hard to get license for would you know of a place or a group i can join. I did go out knock at doors looking for land to hunt on but you ether get told no not after the last bunch of F***rs that wear here or a gun club has dibs on the place and you cant use it or as i know it as (My ball) I do have access to 12 acres of land that i use but have never seen anything living on or flying over the place? the mane type of shooting i do is target shooting and love to shoot long range and found the limit on the .22 the other day grate gun but it just don't have the range im looking for i can count to 3 before the round hits on he scope any way thanks for the help lads and happy shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

How far exactly are you trying to hit? I know lads with range finders using the .22 on bunnies 150 odd yards.. they just know their clicks and off they go..

it takes a sub 1.8 seconds to get 500 yards by the way..

'hdz

Thanks for the reply i don't really know how far it is but i do know its more than 150 yards and at that range i don't have any trouble its one of the reasons i asked to use the land because i got bored with the firing range in the gun club as its only 100 yards. if i had to guess its about 400 Meters is 437.44532 Yards. i was using CCI mini mag @1050fps i normally shoot SK Lapua but not meany places stock it. my rifle is 2013 CZ455 thumbhole

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

i don't hunt yet as i cant find a place its why i bought the .22lr in the first pace and i was told the .17 can be hard to get license for would you know of a place or a group i can join
    You got the .22lr as a member of a range? Then put this down for the .17hmr/.22wmr and tick the hunting box too and supply whatever land permissions you have. You can now get the rifle for both target shooting and hunting.
    if i had to guess its about 400 Meters is 437.44532 Yards. i was using CCI mini mag @1050fps i normally shoot SK Lapua ...........
    You're shooting a .22lr at over 400 metres (440 yards)?

Eh, i wouldn't. The rifle is not designed nor capable of any kind of accurate shooting at those distances and without being offensive not in the hands of someone that does not understand drop and drift.

At that distance with a 50 yard zero you would have 40 feet of drop out to 440 yards/400 metres. Even a .17hmr or .22wmr would have a serious drop. ?They are not designed as a long range round. They are suited out to 150 yards easily and 200 yards while still retaining their ability to drop smaller quarry.

If you intend to shoot those distances i would suggest you look into a more suitable caliber and secondly judge your own ability to shoot such distances accurately and safely.

I'm not lecturing you, but there are lads shooting years that have come up through the various calibers getting experience with each, and are only now shooting those distances. It's not a simple case of point and shoot as you know.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Hi Cass i can only shoot .22lr subsonic at my club and the land permission i have is just verbal permission.
    at the moment im shooting out to about 300 yards at a 3" by 2" steel target using subsonic rounds and hitting about 8 out the 10
    but any more than that its pot luck i was thinking might be the scope and the fact i cant see the splash of the round?
    I was looking at a 303 last year when was selling my first rifle with was a CZ 452 .22lr but the only place i could shoot it was in the midlands
    that is why i bought the CZ 455 as i thought that i could change the barrels but boy was i wrong lol.
    Thanks for you advice

• Registered Users Posts: 35 outfoxing

duffy's in galway , sport .ie said he would import a cz barrel for me at a cost of about 160 euro the problem is as the lads said the extra cost of another licence , it was easier for me to change the rifle at around the same cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

The big difference I notice between the .22lr & any subsonic/target ammo and say the 17 hmr, not to mention a .303 :eek: is the NOISE..................even with silencers on the rifles. The neighbours on/near your permission might not appreciate you shooting lots of rounds with anything more than a .22lr with subsonic/target ammo (just a thought) and I've heard of lads nearly loosing permissions over same after said neighbours complained to the land owners :( This is why I only went for .22lr ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hi Cass i can only shoot .22lr subsonic at my club and the land permission i have is just verbal permission.
    Maybe i'm putting this wrong, but the restriction is a range rule and not a legal one. If you catch my drift. MEmbership to a range or land permissions are all that is needed to apply.
    at the moment im shooting out to about 300 yards at a 3" by 2" steel target using subsonic rounds and hitting about 8 out the 10
    but any more than that its pot luck i was thinking might be the scope and the fact i cant see the splash of the round?
    On a calm day? Because anything over 10 mph will have you struggling to maintain any sort of accuracy.

I once shot out to 400 yards with a .22 lr. I had to use the bottom of the bell of the scope's objective lens and even then it was pure pot luck. The round is so slow and subject to wind drift that you are really guessing at where it's going to land rather than where you WILL hit.
    I was looking at a 303 last year when was selling my first rifle with was a CZ 452 .22lr but the only place i could shoot it was in the midlands
    That is some leap. Perhaps look towards a smaller jump in caliber.
    that is why i bought the CZ 455 as i thought that i could change the barrels but boy was i wrong lol.
    Thanks for you advice
    As was said above you can change the barrel. Whatever the barrel costs, plus €80 for another 3 year license. Then you have a hunter in .17 and .22lr when you fancy doing the bit of target shooting.

If you switch rifles then you only have the .17hmr and if you fancy a bit of target shooting you've no .22lr anymore.

You just need to weight up your option and go for the option that best suits your needs. A dual barrel rifle or just the one caliber with one rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Thanks again Cass ya when shooting out at more than 300 yards im doing the same have the rifle set up for 150+ yards then just use the bottom of the bell of the scope to lob it in at that distance i can see the round dropping in true the scope. thanks for your help on this what i think i going to do is get another riffle in .17 HMR or try to get a go of one and see how i get along its better in my mind than just getting a barrel and having to pay for another license.

Dian Cecht
    thanks for the reply i do agree with you about noise it is one of the reasons i bought my riffle with the suppressor on it all i here is the bolt drop :). Me and a friend bought riffles together so that we could go out bunny bashing as my house mate loves rabbit and he is a grate cook sadly the land i shoot on has no wild life on it and as i type this i just realized why that is as it's just down the road from the army firing range so i don't have a problem with making noise as i do use supersonic rounds up there to and there loud!! but theres no bunny's :(

Out foxing
    Thanks for the reply but i think im going to buy another rifle in .17 hmr that's going to be fun having the two riffles on my back driving my Harley lol will be like your man out of raising arizona lol

Advertisement