Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing an electrical contactor

Options
  • 11-05-2014 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Contactor blew last night while turning on a light. Is this a job I can do myself or would it have to be done by an electrician? It seems like a fairly straight forward job but Im unsure how to isolate the fuse box. I would prefare to do it myself as not to have to wait for the landlord to get an electrician but if its not a diy job please let me know.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What do you mean the "contactor blew" ?
    What was the nature of the failure?
    I ask because it may have failed due to being undersized.

This type of work should be only be carried out by a qualified electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Are you sure its a contactor, they are rarely used in domestic lighting, do you mean a fuse the screw in type?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

It's ok its sorted now. There was a buzzing sound from one of the lights so I turned the light off, waited a while then turned it back on which in turn tripped the fuse/contactor/switch on the board (just the individual circuit not the main one). Last night when I tried to flip the switch back up it wouldn't go up just kept on flipping down so I assumed it was gone, but today it went back no problem. Thanks for the reply's.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

macnug wrote: »
    It's ok its sorted now. There was a buzzing sound from one of the lights so I turned the light off, waited a while then turned it back on which in turn tripped the fuse/contactor/switch on the board (just the individual circuit not the main one). Last night when I tried to flip the switch back up it wouldn't go up just kept on flipping down so I assumed it was gone, but today it went back no problem. Thanks for the reply's.

That was a mcb (miniature circuit breaker) that tripped, a short in a blown bulb could have tripped it ,but could also be a faulty light fitting or wiring.

Advertisement