Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QCA Query

• 11-05-2014 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Quick question can someone inform me as to what the calculation of the QCA is for 4th year (in basic terms).

My QCA is 3.1 and I'm just wondering whats the lowest QCA I can get to maintain my 2.1 (QCA of 3 (or greater) upwards for my course).

Is it true that say i got 2.7 (for example) this semester that id:

(2.7)

and then divide the difference by 4 in order to estimate how my QCA would drop by because forth year is worth half your degree and this semester is worth a 1/4?

Any advice would be very beneficial.

Regards,

Oldspice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Yes, 2.7 would be the lowest QCA you can receive this semester to average 3.0 overall.

You could have also done it as 3.1(.75)*y(.25)=3
    Where you have a QCA of 3.1 which is 3 quarters of your total course weighting completed, you have one quarter yet to finish and your target is a QCA of 3

As a side note, I'm amazed how often these QCA question threads appear where people don't seem to be able to do basis maths (not directed at the OP in this case as you had already worked it out and were just looking to confirm).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

Thanks much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What does the y stand for in that calculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

This semesters QCA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Yes, 2.7 would be the lowest QCA you can receive this semester to average 3.0 overall.

Where you have a QCA of 3.1 which is 3 quarters of your total course weighting completed, you have one quarter yet to finish and your target is a QCA of 3

As a side note, I'm amazed how often these QCA question threads appear where people don't seem to be able to do basis maths (not directed at the OP in this case as you had already worked it out and were just looking to confirm).

Never really looked into how it worked myself but how would it work if you had 2.6 and still had to count in a FYP worth 2 modules.. so not all of last semester is added up yet technically?

• Advertisement

Also dont forget you will get a 2.1 at 2.95 on discretion so theres a small bit of room in that.
    Im chasing a 2:2 myself, currently on 2.28 and need to get to 2.50

garv123 wrote: »
    Never really looked into how it worked myself but how would it work if you had 2.6 and still had to count in a FYP worth 2 modules.. so not all of last semester is added up yet technically?

It works the same way:

Existing QCA(Weight of completed modules)*Required QCA(weight of remaining modules)=Target QCA

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZomB13 F1Sh

It works the same way:

Existing QCA(Weight of completed modules)*Required QCA(weight of remaining modules)=Target QCA

Sorry for this man but I want to make sure I got the right calculation for mine (4th year also) if my accumulated QCA last semester was 3 what do I need to keep that for this semester? I'm not sure my answer is right (I got 3 :/) so any help would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Wouldn't it be + not * ?

Sorry for this man but I want to make sure I got the right calculation for mine (4th year also) if my accumulated QCA last semester was 3 what do I need to keep that for this semester? I'm not sure my answer is right (I got 3 :/) so any help would be great!

(3*0.75) + (3*0.25)=3 so yeah you're correct!

• Advertisement

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be + not * ?

Oops! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jesus, I calculated mine using the * and I thought I needed a QCA of 4.17 to get the next level of degree. Turns out 'tis actually achievable! :pac:

The discretionary band for the KBS is .10 isn't it so if I was to end up getting 2.9 I could still get the 2.1?

The discretionary band for the KBS is .10 isn't it so if I was to end up getting 2.9 I could still get the 2.1?

It's .10 if you are near a 2:2 so you get it at 2.50 or above. For a 2:1 I believe you have to be within 0.05 so would need to be 2.95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

ryanf1 wrote: »
    It's .10 if you are near a 2:2 so you get it at 2.50 or above. For a 2:1 I believe you have to be within 0.05 so would need to be 2.95

0.1 discretion band for all awards except 3rd class

ryanf1 wrote: »
    http://www.ul.ie/business/sites/default/files/files/KBS_Policy_on_use%20of%20UL_Discretionary%20Bands_11.pdf

if you're within 0.05 you get it automatically if you're between 0.06 and 0.10 its up to external examiners apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Here's another question if you have 10 extra ECTS or a B- from attending a summer school can that count towards anything or does it not make a difference at all?

Advertisement