If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PMA-720AE amplifier , left speaker produces no sound

Options
  • 11-05-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Slight problem here with this amp at the moment. I am deaf in one ear , my left one so Probably didn't realize this before lol.. But when I get right up close to the Speakers I notice that sometimes when playing records I'll get no sound at all from one speaker ? It's mainly the left but It happened in the past where no sound comes through the right. Now this is not all the time, This morning I was listening to a Biffy Clyro Vinyl and listened to the first side perfectly then switched to side B and noticed as soon as the second track on side B started all audio was gone on the Left Side.

I plugged in my Headphones to check if it was the speakers and heard the same thing. No sound on the left. Tried another few songs and found it was the same now on all tracks including the ones from Side A which worked perfectly earlier.

Any ideas ? 
    Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi folks,
    Slight problem here with this amp at the moment. I am deaf in one ear , my left one so Probably didn't realize this before lol.. But when I get right up close to the Speakers I notice that sometimes when playing records I'll get no sound at all from one speaker ? It's mainly the left but It happened in the past where no sound comes through the right. Now this is not all the time, This morning I was listening to a Biffy Clyro Vinyl and listened to the first side perfectly then switched to side B and noticed as soon as the second track on side B started all audio was gone on the Left Side.

I plugged in my Headphones to check if it was the speakers and heard the same thing. No sound on the left. Tried another few songs and found it was the same now on all tracks including the ones from Side A which worked perfectly earlier.

Any ideas ? 
    Thanks
    Hi MP,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - I have been out of the office for the last few days hence the delay!

That's strange, the PMA720 is normally completely bulletproof and its exceptionally strange that it loses one channel on one input ( ie turntable) is there any chance that it could be an issue with the turntable, possibly a loose tag out of the back of the cart? - I would try the 720 on alternative sources, if they are all down on one side then its either an amp, cable or speaker issue ( ie anything from the amp to the speakers) if its only happening on turntable then its either the turntable or the amplifier - a simple test is to pop 2 phono/RCA leads into the phono input on the Denon and just tip the ends of them with your fingers ( keep the volume at a reasonable level) if you get a 'pop' or 'buzz' on both speakers then its probably not the amp - turntables are generally really reliable but its really easy to drop a tag off the back of the cart so this would be the first place I'd go hunting..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Thanks John,
    I was thinking the same thing so am trying the cd player at the moment to see if I can reproduce it.

Could it be Cartridge alignment ? The Turntable also has a Line Out so I'll try that too using the AUX input of the amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Muppetkiller.

The cart has a number of cables which attach it to the arm. If one of these is not seeded correctly then it can drop a channel.

The line out (which must be preamped) could be plugged into an aux input or one that is not used except phono. Normally there is a switch on the turntable to turn on and off the pre-amp so check that otherwise you may not hear anything.

Testing it with another source will determine if it's the amp.

Keep us posted.

Thanks

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.