Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get Small Birds into the garden

• 11-05-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi Folks,
    Wanted to start attracting small birds into the garden! Its a good little summer project to do, also that in the colder harder months they will know where to come for food...

There are 6 cats in the neighbouring garden!
    I was thinking a bird table specially constructed would provide the best protection for the birds - all opinions very welcome on if this would be the best way to go about it? I was planning on constructing a bird table to suit with anti cat climbing on the bird table stem (have 2 harmless ideas on how to do that!..). I wanted to attract small birds so was thinking of constructing a bird table with small roof to provide safety for them to protect from bigger birds..

Location-wise I was going to locate it away from the wall and away from trees so out in the open a bit (this was so the cats cannot jump to it!) Would anyone have any advise - do you think this type of location would be a success!? - would this fly so to speak har har!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

We currently have a feeding pole/station in the garden. We keep it just away from the wall. There are a few cats that come looking but in the last 4 years that its been here, there have been no incidents so that seems to work. I'm not sure about a bird table as I've never had one.
    As for attracting small birds, it depends on what food you put out. Our peanut feeder attracts starlings and sparrows, our seed mix attracts the same plus robins, goldfinch and collared doves. The nyger seed attracts goldfinch, blue tit and the occasional siskin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bikefreakvinnie

Thanks for that - that sounds like a good option! Wonder would the birds be less likely to use if it was too much in the open and perhaps just out enough from the wall might be better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Don't fret about it being in the open. My most popular feeding station is 30ft from the nearest cover.

ah brilliant thats good to know thanks for that - I was thinking of making a bird table like the 3rd image down on the page link below:

world wide web .westyorkshireanimalsinneed.org.uk/page44.htm

not the clever anti cat contraption!...

as in put in www for world wide web

• Advertisement
Advertisement