Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairdresser thinning out hair

• 11-05-2014 1:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭

Why do all hairdressers do this? I went to get my hair cut yesterday and asked for a trim and my layers trimmed and she took loads of weight out of my hair, which I didn't want. In fairness I didn't ask her not to, but I thought she'd mention that she was going to do it. My hair is very fine and looks stringy and thin when it's thinned out - I like the thickness of it when it's left to grow! I'm a bit upset now - it was just getting really long and thick and looked nice when curled or braided, and now it's really stringy and horrible.

Why do hairdressers always try to thin out your hair? Is this is thing that most people want? :confused: Am I going to be stuck with this for ages now before it starts to get thicker again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

They always do this to me Ugh I hate it and it gets damaged much easier when thinned I find!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

What do you mean when you say she thinned it out?

Did she use one of these?
    http://www.salonsupplies.co.uk/up/products/07ac96b619.jpg

Or did your hair just feel much thinner afterwards because of the layers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 ResidentHill

I just stumbled across this thread on the front page. I'm a man and I have these problems too! Barbers use the scissors Tiddlypeeps linked to. I don't understand why they would want to thin my hair and make me look bald. WHY?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

What do you mean when you say she thinned it out?

Did she use one of these?
    http://www.salonsupplies.co.uk/up/products/07ac96b619.jpg

Or did your hair just feel much thinner afterwards because of the layers?

Yep, she used those, and she said she'd 'thinned it out'. I felt irritated because I would have expected her to have asked, not gone ahead and taken loads of my hair out. Also, she put lots of layers in. It's not as if my hair is unmanageable or ridiculously thick to start with so it's always a mystery to me why most hairdressers assume I want it thinned. Is it just a thing they think people want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Olive8585 wrote: »
    Yep, she used those, and she said she'd 'thinned it out'. I felt irritated because I would have expected her to have asked, not gone ahead and taken loads of my hair out. Also, she put lots of layers in. It's not as if my hair is unmanageable or ridiculously thick to start with so it's always a mystery to me why most hairdressers assume I want it thinned. Is it just a thing they think people want?

I've never had a hairdresser not ask me if I wanted that, and I have a crazy thick mane of unwieldily hair where it is clearly needed. I'd be pretty annoyed if they did anything to my hair without asking.

If you find this happens often would you not tell them at the start not to do it?

• Advertisement

I've never had a hairdresser not ask me if I wanted that, and I have a crazy thick mane of unwieldily hair where it is clearly needed. I'd be pretty annoyed if they did anything to my hair without asking.

If you find this happens often would you not tell them at the start not to do it?

It has happened a lot in the past, but they always asked and I always agreed because I thought it could make the layers look better. This particular girl didn't do it last time, so I forgot to ask her not to, and I didn't realise what she was doing until it was too late. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I don't profess to be an expert in such matters, my hair always looks awesome. Were you like the ad on telly sitting there anxious as you seen more of your lush hair chopped off? And she was chewing gum rolling her eyes pretending to be polite but really thinking about someones status on fb. Don't go back there again simple.

LOL no, she was really attentive and took her time on it, the cut is good, service was good and she was friendly, but I just wish she'd asked me if I wanted her to thin it out so I could have said no. I'm just confused as to why so many hairdresser seem to want to thin people's hair? Since when was it good to have thin hair? :confused:

LOL no, she was really attentive and took her time on it, the cut is good, service was good and she was friendly, but I just wish she'd asked me if I wanted her to thin it out so I could have said no. I'm just confused as to why so many hairdresser seem to want to thin people's hair? Since when was it good to have thin hair? :confused:

No you have a valid point ,it is stupid. People pay to have ticker locks. " oooh I wish I had me some thin wispy hair" said nobody ever. Maybe they do it because they sell the expensive hair extensions at shop next door.

No you have a valid point ,it is stupid. People pay to have ticker locks. " oooh I wish I had me some thin wispy hair" said nobody ever. Maybe they do it because they sell the expensive hair extensions at shop next door.

LOL...it's just odd...has happened to me everywhere, in different counties in Ireland, in Manchester, in London...I'd love to know why 'taking the weight out of your hair' is supposed to be good. I liked the weight in my hair. *sob*

• Advertisement

LOL...it's just odd...has happened to me everywhere, in different counties in Ireland, in Manchester, in London...I'd love to know why 'taking the weight out of your hair' is supposed to be good. I liked the weight in my hair. *sob*

Ah so you know this is what they do and usually have your nun chucks ready, but just dropped your guard this one time because she lulled you into a false sense of security because she didn't do it last time?

This is amateur behavior for a gal such as ones self that gets her hair cut all over the world London , Paris Milan. You were hungover. Damn you sweet beer and cocktails.

Advertisement