Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

intermittent fasting for 24 hrs - qts

• 11-05-2014 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

May i have your opinion on something again please....intermittent fasting(not sure if spelled that right)I fasted 24hrs from 6pm friday evenin until 6pm yesterday. Do you think this helps with weight loss in any way at all? I was starving by 6pm and had some pasta and chicken but was still hungry and had a yogurt and 4 pieces of dark chocolate. Went to bed at 10.30pm wrecked and had best sleep i ever had in 5 years! Unable to exercise yesterday as have flu to but realy just wondering would you encourage such fast and im afraid after such a fast ill have put on weightThanks for any help at all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

May i have your opinion on something again please....intermittent fasting(not sure if spelled that right)I fasted 24hrs from 6pm friday evenin until 6pm yesterday. Do you think this helps with weight loss in any way at all? I was starving by 6pm and had some pasta and chicken but was still hungry and had a yogurt and 4 pieces of dark chocolate. Went to bed at 10.30pm wrecked and had best sleep i ever had in 5 years! Unable to exercise yesterday as have flu to but realy just wondering would you encourage such fast and im afraid after such a fast ill have put on weightThanks for any help at all

Not massively sure about long term benefits etc but I'll say one thing for intermittent fasting, I'll never confuse bored with hungry again.

I've absolutely no medical basis for this but I think it's good to remind yourself every once in a while what being hungry ACTUALLY feels like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No, it wont help with weight loss really - total calories matter the most, not when you eat them. It will help you stop eating as much though as you have a smaller window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I do 17-20 hours fasts most days. If you keep it up long term you'll.notice a lot of weight loss.

Unless you eat crap or a very very weird diet.

It's great for restricting calorie intake. A lot of the research has shown a plethora or benefits too.

Leangains. Com for further reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Yeah I inadvertently find myself doing approximately a 17/7 and it seems to work.

I'm not too sure about 24 hour fasting though but that's just me. There is something called the 5:2 diet where you fast for 24 hours twice a week and then you can eat freely (within reason of course!) for the other 5 days. Give it a try and see what you make of it.

Yeah I inadvertently find myself doing approximately a 17/7 and it seems to work.

I'm not too sure about 24 hour fasting though but that's just me. There is something called the 5:2 diet where you fast for 24 hours twice a week and then you can eat freely (within reason of course!) for the other 5 days. Give it a try and see what you make of it.

If you eat too many calories in those 5 days it doesn't matter how little you eat on the other 2, you'll still put on weight. Same deal with fasting for 20 hours, its total calories that matter the most.

• Advertisement

If you eat too many calories in those 5 days it doesn't matter how little you eat on the other 2, you'll still put on weight. Same deal with fasting for 20 hours, its total calories that matter the most.

This.

But the great thing about 19/5 as I already said is its very hard to eat too much in that time. 2000 calories in a few hours, assuming you're eating healthily, is tough to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭petals rocks1

How u mean 17/7???

Sorry this is so silly but what u mean by 19/5

5:2 diet where you fast for 24 hours twice a week and then you can eat freely (within reason of course!) for the other 5 days. Give it a try and see what you make of it.[/QUOTE]
    This.

But the great thing about 19/5 as I already said is its very hard to eat too much in that time. 2000 calories in a few hours, assuming you're eating healthily, is tough to do!

19 hours fasting and then 5 hour eating window. 17/7 for me is a 17 hour fast and a 7 hour eating window.

For example, I get up at 7, skip breakfast, don't eat until lunch time which is at 1 o'clock. I get all of my calories in between the hours of 1 and 8 (7 hour eating window) and then resume the fast.

I find it's more manageable than 24 hour fasting and it becomes a habit after a while so give it a shot if you want!

Omg im a dumbass! Thank u timetoshine. I get it!

I found the 24 hr fast hard going. Will try the 17 hr fast though. Thank u

• Advertisement

Look up leangains for more information or google intermittent fasting.

Best of luck!

19/5 sounds extreme but it's really not.

Lunch at 1. Snack around 3. Dinner at 6.

Rinse and repeat.

All I'm doing is skipping breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Are the benefits of intermittent fasting really that great? Like a leangains approach of 16/8 apparently has a lot of health benefits for hormones etc. I understand it's not going to be any better than any other diet for burning off fat as it's more or less all about calories in versus calories out but was more wondering about the other health factors that I see it claiming.

Go read the FAQ on lean gains. He explains a lot of the benefits and has all the references.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Go read the FAQ on lean gains. He explains a lot of the benefits and has all the references.

I know I've read it bit I'm sceptical over the benefits. I find these things tend to be exaggerated especially when coming from it's creator.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I know I've read it bit I'm sceptical over the benefits. I find these things tend to be exaggerated especially when coming from it's creator.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it is placebo. Regardless, it's a fairly easy lifestyle to maintain and as long as it isn't actively impeding progress then I can't see why not to go for it.

That's why I said he has it all referenced. It's not anecdotal. It's scientific.

That's why I said he has it all referenced. It's not anecdotal. It's scientific.

Its not unbiased though, he will only reference studies that back up his product.

That's what science is.

Using studies to come to a conclusion.

That's what science is.

Using studies to come to a conclusion.

No, it is not. Science is unbiased.

• Advertisement

Yawn.

Well all just move along now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

my own opinion. total unresearched but from watching how stuff effects me is that all these diet trends give health benefits initially due to a new or different stimulus on the body.
    but the results diminish over time as the body sorts an equilibrium for itself.

I eat a 16/8 or 15/9 day - cos it suits me. but my initial "holy fcuk fat loss!" is long gone.

I'll bet if I switched to 6 meals a day i'd see great gains initially too,.

food choices and food volume rather than timing or strategy is key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

my own opinion. total unresearched but from watching how stuff effects me is that all these diet trends give health benefits initially due to a new or different stimulus on the body.
    but the results diminish over time as the body sorts an equilibrium for itself.

I eat a 16/8 or 15/9 day - cos it suits me. but my initial "holy fcuk fat loss!" is long gone.

I'll bet if I switched to 6 meals a day i'd see great gains initially too,.

food choices and food volume rather than timing or strategy is key.

Like yourself this is just imo and just from experience of IF for 6 months. I did 18/6 90% of those 6 months. A few 24hr fasts and some 20/4.

I exercised 4/5 times a week as well. I lost about 3 stone. It was the best I have ever felt.

I attribute the weight loss over that 6 months to IF and Paleo. I've done the 6 meals a day + loads of exercise for years and never once came close to feeling as good while doing IF+Paelo.

Advertisement