Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone tomtom app query

• 11-05-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a tom tom app (Western Europe version)on my iphone and it works very well in Ireland and does not use data.

I'm told that if I use this app abroad it will use data. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm hiring a car for a week in Portugal and would like to use my app, however I wouldn't like to find a big data roaming bill on my return.

tx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

nightster1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've a tom tom app (Western Europe version)on my iphone and it works very well in Ireland and does not use data.

I'm told that if I use this app abroad it will use data. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm hiring a car for a week in Portugal and would like to use my app, however I wouldn't like to find a big data roaming bill on my return.

tx
    Once you have the maps downloaded to the device, it won't need to use data. The only thing to check in the settings is that you have told it not to use google for points of interest. I have Navigon, but I assume they are pretty similar, and that is the only time Navigon uses data, but I can turn it off in the settings if I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Johnmb wrote: »
    Once you have the maps downloaded to the device, it won't need to use data. The only thing to check in the settings is that you have told it not to use google for points of interest. I have Navigon, but I assume they are pretty similar, and that is the only time Navigon uses data, but I can turn it off in the settings if I want.

That is very good advice. I went to app setting and switched off data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

in iPhone settings there's a switch that disables data when you're roaming, make sure that's set properly.

what i do when i'm abroad is pick up a local pre-paid sim (most airports have vending machines with them) and use data locally. works out much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

It won't use data when abroad for normal useage just navagating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Whoever told you that was an idiot.
    tomtom is fully offline for maps etc unless you use the traffic updates etc.
    I've used mine in Poland without any data connection and even gave my phone to the taxi drive to find our hotel in Warsaw :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

It will only use data for live traffic .

Advertisement