Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice for overground journey from Philadelphia airport to NYC - family of 6

Options
  • 11-05-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi.
    I promise I did research this myself first, but it would be good to get the opinion of people who are more familiar with this trip.

A few observations:
    - Amtrak seems to be crazy expensive
    - Pre-booking of a taxi (for 6 people) at PHL doesn't seem to be that easy.

Anyway, from the couple of hours I've spent looking into it, it seems that pre-booking may not be necessary, so here's a tentative plan, A and B:

Plan A:

Take SEPTA & NJT trains from PHL to NYC Penn Station, as follows:

SEPTA from PHL to 30th Street Station
    SEPTA from 30th Street Station to Trenton Transit Center
    NJT from Trenton Transit Center to NYC Penn Station

IT doesn't seem necessary or feasible to pre-book these train tickets, so I'm hoping I can do this on spec, though I'm confused about 30th Street Station, it seems I can only purchase an NJT ticket from a vending machine, and not from a person? We'd be traveling on a Sunday so there seem to be really good discounts to be had (two kids free per adult) which I would like to avail of.

Plan B:

Take Taxi(s) from PHL to the kerbside pickup for BoltBus or Megabus and bus to NYC. I guess for this option I should pre-book our bus tickets?

Anyway I'd really appreciate any advice. Want to save money, but don't want *too* much hassle carting family + luggage around.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

My personal choice, if I was you, would be to take either the SEPTA train or a taxi to 30th St Station in Philly, and then take BoltBus or Megabus to NYC. Their stops are right outside 30th St Station. Just walk out the 30th St Exit, cross 30th St, and they are just a few hundred feet down along JFK Blvd. I would pre-book if you can, almost more to try for some of the crazy RyanAir-style discounts they occasionally offer.

You should not need to pre-book at taxi from PHL. There is normally a line of them waiting for any arriving passengers, with a dispatcher organizing the line. We needed an extra-large taxi (minivan) once, and the dispatcher called for one and it was there within a few minutes. There is a flat-fare of $28.50 for a taxi from PHL to Center City (which would include the Boltbus or Megabus stops), but as you would be using an extra-large cab for six people, it might not apply to you. Your other option would be to take two cabs. Edited to add: Taxis in Philly take credit cards.

SEPTA and NJT are both commuter rail systems, more like the Luas or DART than IE. From PHL, you pay right on board the train. I don't think either of them even have the option to book a seat ahead of time. On a Sunday, the train should be practically empty. SEPTA free fares only apply to kids under 5, half-price for kids under 12, and a lot of weekend discounts etc. don't apply to airport trains (which count as "Regional Rail"), so read carefully about any discounts you are counting on. You would need cash to pay on the train.

So SEPTA would probably be a bit cheaper, and a bit faster, but a taxi would save you a few hundred feet of walking as they would drop you right to the Megabus/Boltbus stops. And with small kids and luggage, a few hundred feet of walking can be quite a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Either the bus or train options should be fine. I've never taken the bus myself, but I've done the train connection to NYC numerous times.

Do not prepay for a taxi from the airport. If you need an oversize van, go to the ground transportation desk by each baggage claim area and they will set it up for you. The people at the desk usually try to avoid eye contact, but they will take care of you once they realize you're not leaving :)

I don't know SEPTA's policy, but do NOT get on a New Jersey Transit train without buying tickets before boarding. There is a $5 surcharge per ticket if you buy a ticket on the train. There is usually an office open at Trenton where you can buy tickets, but the machines are easy enough to use and will take cash or credit cards.

Kids are free on the weekends on NJT, and even if your kids are over the age limit, most conductors respond well to a friendly greeting and will pass no heed of kids on weekends.

30th St to Trenton to Penn Station is an easy and cheap way to get to NYC. Just make sure you don't accidentally get off at Penn Station Newark - when they mumble on the overhead speakers you may think you've reached NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

we did that route with megabus last month. the bus stop is a just a short walk from the back of 30th street station and takes about 90 minutes-2 hours to midtown manhattan depending on traffic.

pre-booking bolt or megabus is really the only option and of course be sure to have your reservation number to board the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I don't know SEPTA's policy, but do NOT get on a New Jersey Transit train without buying tickets before boarding. There is a $5 surcharge per ticket if you buy a ticket on the train. There is usually an office open at Trenton where you can buy tickets, but the machines are easy enough to use and will take cash or credit cards.

SEPTA have a pay-on-the-train surcharge on a sliding scale based on journey length. It'd work out as about $2 extra from the Airport to 30th St.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Too funny...I just looked into this last month

I would say your decision should be based on a number of variables

(1) How old are your kids?

(2) How much luggage will you have?

(3) Where are you going in Manhattan once you disembark from the bus or the train?

(4) How long is your overall trip?

(5) What day and time of day are you traveling?

If you've got young kids and a ton of luggage I would look into taking a limo-door to door including tip would cost about $400.

If you land at Penn Station or the Port Authority, then have to make your way to some distant part of Manhattan...again I would suggest the limo

If your'e coming for a week or less....is it worth wasting half a day going via public transport?

Personally if I was traveling alone or with teenagers I would be open to taking the train route...it completely doable but a little bit cumbersome

The only thing that would put me off taking the bus is if you are traveling close to peak hours, it could take forever to navigate into manhattan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Many thanks for all the help folks, it's much appreciated.

Answers for @whitey1:

(1) How old are your kids?
    14 down to 8

(2) How much luggage will you have?
    I'll probably carry/wheel a suitcase and the others will have a small bagpack each.

(3) Where are you going in Manhattan once you disembark from the bus or the train?
    Brooklyn, planning to get a taxi (or two) the the hotel when we arrive. Actually how difficult will it be to find a taxi for 6 in Manhattan?

(4) How long is your overall trip?
    5 days/4 nights in NYC

Sunday afternoon. Dropping rental car back in PHL, then public transport to/from NYC. By the way, is there ANYWHERE in Philly that we could deposit some luggage for a few days?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Manuel wrote: »
    Many thanks for all the help folks, it's much appreciated.

Answers for @whitey1:

Sunday afternoon. Dropping rental car back in PHL, then public transport to/from NYC. By the way, is there ANYWHERE in Philly that we could deposit some luggage for a few days?

Thanks again.
    ?? Why don't you drive the rental for to Brooklyn?

Fair question Father.

We fly into PHL, pick up the rental and drive to DC where we'll stay with friends for the week. We drop the rental back then and make our way to NYC for the rest of our stay, then back to PHL for flight home.

There's no parking where we're staying in Brooklyn and anyway the rental would be just sitting there for 4 days unused. I guess I could return the car to Alamo in NYC, but I imagine I'd be charged heftily for the privilege. Might look into it though, thanks.

The fact you have to make your way to Brooklyn once you arrive in NY changes the dynamic. I would now advise against trying to go the public transit route, because if you add up the total cost (not to mention the the time) of all the different legs, you're now getting close to the cost of a limo or driving the rental car.

It would be an adventure, but not one I would participate in with 4 kids

Thanks whitey1, fair point.

When I booked the accommodation through booking.com I thought there was parking available. Anyway, it turned out to be on-street parking, and when I enquired further I found out I'd have to keep moving the car around during the day - nightmare. That's when I decided to lose the car in Philly.

Now I'm considering keeping the car and maybe depositing it into a nearby parking lot for the duration of the stay in Brooklyn. On the face of it there seems to be 24-hour parking available nearby for ~$20 a day. Security would be a concern ....

It'll be an adventure alright, it's enough of an adventure already trying to plan the trip! :)

• Advertisement

The charge to return the car to a different location should be minimal.

Why pay to rent a car plus parking if you're not going to use it? You should drive to NY, drop off the wifey and kids where you're staying in Brooklyn, then drop off the cat at a NYC location e.g. one of the airports and make your way back to Brooklyn. Then if you have to, rent another car for the day to drive to PHL. You'll save money/time/hassle.

By the way, is there ANYWHERE in Philly that we could deposit some luggage for a few days?
    Thanks again.

I've dropped off luggage (but usually only for a day) at many of the higher-end hotels around the country. We just find the closest Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott and go to the bell captain or doorman and ask where we can leave our luggage until we check in. We drop it off, get on with our day and pick up the luggage later. I usually tip the guys $1 or $2 per bag.

You're awful ... but I like you :)

Actually, somewhere to drop the bags for the day is all we really need, would like to see a bit of Philly on the last day, as we don't fly out til 21.10.

Would any hotels offer this service legitimately for a fee?

I guess in this "post-9/11" USA it's not encouraged to deposit bags anywhere ... I don't think the main train station has lockers or a bag room for example (though open to correction) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

DEFINITELY drive the rental to Brooklyn. Once there, I'd opt for the parking lot option.

FatherTed wrote: »
    The charge to return the car to a different location should be minimal.

Why pay to rent a car plus parking if you're not going to use it? You should drive to NY, drop off the wifey and kids where you're staying in Brooklyn, then drop off the cat at a NYC location e.g. one of the airports and make your way back to Brooklyn. Then if you have to, rent another car for the day to drive to PHL. You'll save money/time/hassle.

On paper great idea....in practice this would be really difficult and time consuming for someone who doesn't know their way around.

Also one way car rentals can be super expensive.

Drive to Brooklyn, drop the crew off at the hotel and park the car up until you need it

whitey1 wrote: »
    On paper great idea....in practice this would be really difficult and time consuming for someone who doesn't know their way around.

Also one way car rentals can be super expensive.

Drive to Brooklyn, drop the crew off at the hotel and park the car up until you need it

I went on the Alamo website and checked, a full size car rental for 10 days renting and returning to PHL was $470. 10 days and returning to JFK instead was $593. So looks like the extra fee is about $123.

Thanks a million for all the help folks.

Having weighed it up, helped by all the good advice I've gotten here, I think I'm going to extend the car rental to the full duration of our stay. It's so much more convenient than lugging kids and baggage around on public transport. It'll cost a bit more but should be much less hassle. We'll pick it up in PHL and drop it back there when flying home. We can bring more luggage then too ...

There seem to be plenty of parking lots around where we're staying in Brooklyn where I can drop the car either for a full day or even the whole stay. Worst case scenario, maybe I'll have to move the car around a bit in the morning/evening, but I least I won't be dragging the family around with me.

Thanks again.
    /M.

Oh one other thing. Extending the car hire brings the total GPS hire up to about €100 which stings a bit ... do you think it's worth holding out and just going straight to the nearest Walmart to buy one over there? Any recommendations for a cheap-ish model that I'll be able to use in Europe also?
    Thanks.

Oh one other thing. Extending the car hire brings the total GPS hire up to about €100 which stings a bit ... do you think it's worth holding out and just going straight to the nearest Walmart to buy one over there? Any recommendations for a cheap-ish model that I'll be able to use in Europe also?
    Thanks.

You can buy a decent Garmin unit for under $100 - http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B0057OCDQS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400499648&sr=8-2&keywords=garmin

Or for $80 - http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B0057ODG6Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1400499797&sr=8-3&keywords=garmin

You won't be able to use these in Europe unless you buy an additional SD card with Europe loaded on it, which will cost you close to another $100.
    Of course, if you're tech savvy, you can always find a download out there for free :)

Advertisement