Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Misery Love Company"...and other tragic comedies

Options
  • 11-05-2014 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭

As I face yet another week of, shall we say, character building injury recovery :(, I'm wondering if anyone would care to share their dreaded injury related story (or stories) to lighten the recovery load a little? No injury is too big or too small for this thread....and comedies are more than welcome. I'm just looking for that happy ending. ;):)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you want the one where I tripped coming out of turbo and ended up with stitches in my kneecap and a long term skin infection that didn't clear for six months?

Or the time I went over on my ankle two days before a half marathon, four days away from a trip to training camp? That was useable but dodgy for at least half the year. I also clattered onto my knee (not the one with stitches) at the same training camp and tore the bursa. Couldnt kneel on it for ages.

Clumsy bint, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Tripped over my lace while running & cracked a rib!!!! couldn't swim or run for a month!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Tore the tendon in my bigtoe in a little biking accident in hell of west last june, spent the best summer we've had in a billion years in a cast up to my knee :( my good wife says she had to look after 4 kids last summer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

While out cycling a few years back we were coming near the end of a spin. I sat up took my hands of the bars to relax and eat, when the saddle pillar broke I feel backwards landed on the rear wheel and not nice things happened between wheels rear brake and certain items. I will leave to your imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Fell over a speed bump during a race two years ago. Have only been back running consistently in around the last 3-4 months. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I don't do stupid things.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

First marathon, all the training done to perfection and three days before the event I was putting rubbish in my wheelie bin on a stormy evening when the lid blew back and nearly cracked my shin bone. Got through the marathon (badly) with a rather painful massive bump on my shin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I don't do stupid things.

Oh no you don't, missy...you and Solobally8 were known entities and my aces in the hole with this thread. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Oh no you don't, missy...you and Solobally8 were known entities and my aces in the hole with this thread. :D

If you get me started, I'll never stop. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Don't get me started! I could write a book. My whole life is a tragic comedy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

BennyMul wrote: »
    While out cycling a few years back we were coming near the end of a spin. I sat up took my hands of the bars to relax and eat, when the saddle pillar broke I feel backwards landed on the rear wheel and not nice things happened between wheels rear brake and certain items. I will leave to your imagination

Oh my god! Ouchy. You poor man, I'm in pain thinking about it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I got a dose of man flu once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

torn hamstrings, fractured wrists and ruptured ligaments all playing football.. very little tri related.. i think the hamstring injury taught me to back off and rest when i feel a twinge..it had been tight for weeks but i ignored it ( youth ) and it went in the middle of a match..

ruptured ligaments a couple of weeks before our honeymoon on part of which we had been planning to climb ( hill walk ) mount kinabalu in borneo.. so that was a real sickener.. on the plus side sitting by the pool for a week solid wasnt the worst recovery..

any time i put my foot in really cold water now its really painful..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Broke a collar bone in three places playing a "friendly" match. Came back waaaay to early and slipped the breaks about 10 weeks later in training. Also partially tore medial meniscus playing 5-a-side! Played plenty of competitive matches through the years and never so much as got a cut. Always in mess around matches!

Fortunately i wasnt doing tri to the extent i do no at the time and took the decision then to ditch ball sports completely as i got into tri a lot more. Not worth the risk! My friends don't even ask me if i'm interested in a kick about anymore as i always refuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hugged a German whilst swimming but he did not want a hug back, 2 broken ribs.

Chasing my eldest son around the back and tripped, wore my right arm as a sleeve around my neck. Completely shattered by humerus in numerous places and required metal plate & bolts.

Broke 3 toes in the same foot 3 times, all football related

Piriformis injury, lingered for a good while and still have the occasional problems from it. Have to avoid kick drills in the pool as that seems to trigger it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Piriformis injury, lingered for a good while and still have the occasional problems from it. Have to avoid kick drills in the pool as that seems to trigger it.

brilliant. you, sir, are a genius. i must find some injury that is triggered by 400m tt's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Lots across different sports

Rugby - school training. Had lost my gumshield a few secs earlier but chased my best mate to save a try. Last ditch dive to tap tackle, he scored anyway. His boot heel caught my chin and I bit through my tongue. Getting my tongue anethesised and stitched up was an experience

Dislocated shoulder throwing a javelin

Rowing - well, not really rowing. 3 weeks before national championships. Decided to teach my girlfriend inlinbe skating. Gave her my gloves, pads etc.. Fell and broke my hand. Total risk rowing as some bone had floated across the back of my hand. Swallowed pain killers and won the race. Hand never repaired properly

Running - Hill run running full speed down a steep wet rocky descent. Slipped and managed real air time before landing on my right knee. Split down to the bone with a thick lump of flesh hanging off. Quite unsightly but left a cool scar

Messing - missed a turn at the bottom of a descent. It was wet and muddy. Came off the bike at speed headfirst into a wall. Wrote off the helmet. Finished the race 1.5 hours later concussed. Had whiplash. Neck took months to heal. Garmin showed 56kmh to 0kmh in a heartbeat. I was lucky...

If this is about bein hard, he wins ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Fell 30 foot out of a tree when I was about 10, fell through a holly bush that was growing under the tree, lucky to land on moss and not rocks

Broken collar bone, U-15 football, bending over to get a ball and threw myself on the ground to get the free
    Fractured jaw playing the day after my brother in laws stag, ran into a guy as he bent to pick up the ball, had zero reactions and didnt put my hands out to save my face.
    Almost a year later fractured the other side of my jaw, less my fault this time as I was on the ground a dirty tramp kicked me in the head
    Have mangled four fingers

Galeforce - came off the bike after the big climb when some eijit didnt hold his line coming down the hill despite me roaring at him, tore all the skin off my left hand side, chased after ur man and f**ked the head off him :mad:

Tore ligaments in my shoulder two weeks ago when I came off the bike and knocked myself out

I also chopped off my little sisters finger with a hedge clippers when we were small :eek:

I was so desperate to post in this thread again I went and broke my leg.

The things I do to make you feel better Dory!

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »

I also chopped off my little sisters finger with a hedge clippers when we were small :eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

Oryx wrote: »

You are the best damn friend a gal could ever have!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Tried to cycle down some steep steps and got flung off the bike, tried it a second time and got fired into the side of a house and broke my nose. My brother tried it a few months later, dislocated his shoulder, broke his collar bone and his upper arm, all on the same side. Poor me.

Tried to do an Evil Knievel style 20ft gap jump on my bmx at home, didn't fully understand physics at the time (or now) and split my forehead open, more stitches.

Turned the car over once, broken nose again.

Couple of broken toes from working with poxy f'ing horses.

Lots of pretty spectacular accidents, especially the car, but always walked away with very minor injuries, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Missing a huge chunk off skin off my hip right now after coming off the bike on Sunday... Not enjoyable... Sticking to everything... First time for road rash...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »

I had thought this was a joke? Warwick tells me its not??? What happened?

Advertisement