Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army & Navy Recruitment 2014 Interview

Options
  • 11-05-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Army/Navy interviews and can give me a rough idea on what questions could come up and what I should respond with? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Army/Navy interviews and can give me a rough idea on what questions could come up and what I should respond with? Any help is appreciated.

Read the training and overseas section on military. ie back to front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

You should have received material about the interview. A list of competences which most of the questions will be asked and these will be based on your own personal experiences. You also should have received a form to fill in, sort of like a short cv, and they will also ask questions based on what you fill in. Again they are based on you own interests and hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

Just got back from my interview. It's very straight forward, 3 interviewers take turns asking about the exact categories in the email.

Just have examples of how you dealt with situations involving the categories in the past. And as said above know about the training and jobs within the defence forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TommyGuilfoyle

Thanks a million lads. Really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 limk2014

Are we going to be doing the psychometric testing stage after the interview stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Which email are you guys referring to regarding the categories you were asked questions on? I got the one calling me to interview today but it doesn't list that information. It's 2 Bde recruitment section I'm dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Which email are you guys referring to regarding the categories you were asked questions on? I got the one calling me to interview today but it doesn't list that information. It's 2 Bde recruitment section I'm dealing with.

For me it came as an attachment with the email inviting me to the interview

No attachment for me. Odd. Hopefully it might come along afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Axelf0128

I haven't heard anything for an interview I know a few that heard back, I got 74% above average in maths and 63% average in English, I'm a bit worried hearing that everyone got emails today

That's for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

My son received feedback from his army psychosometric tests last Friday. He did his fitness test in McKee Barracks. Has anyone from this group received an email re interview? My son has not heard yet! Anyone?

• Advertisement

Golfwidow wrote: »
    My son received feedback from his army psychosometric tests last Friday. He did his fitness test in McKee Barracks. Has anyone from this group received an email re interview? My son has not heard yet! Anyone?

I did mine in McKee as well and got my interview email today. I wouldn't worry about it. Given the volume involved, I suspect processing them is slow.

I'm curious though, does anyone know how many are left in the competition at the interview stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 athlone3

No attachment for me. Odd. Hopefully it might come along afterwards.

I got my email today and got no attachment either !? Wonder why that is ?

athlone3 wrote: »
    I got my email today and got no attachment either !? Wonder why that is ?

My son got no attachment either! Maybe a call to them would be a good idea?

If they didn't get an attachment for the survey or notes there will be a printed copy at the interview. I had my interview for the navy and that's how it went. Just for anyone else that might have an interview with them, you need to know a lot about what work they do

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭killer91

Hi guys, I just got a second email for my interview this week.

The email contains the attachment explaining the competencies like the one I got for the Navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

They didn't use the form they asked to be filled out in my interview. Never even took it off me

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hammerfist

How many examples were you asked to give for the competencys outlined??

hammerfist wrote: »
    How many examples were you asked to give for the competencys outlined??

It varied. I was asked one for one of the competencys, two for another one then three then one again.

It varied. I was asked one for one of the competencys, two for another one then three then one again.
    So, what are these competencies exactly?

Defence Forces General Service Recruitment

Candidate Interview Guide

The interviews for the 2014 Defence Forces Service General Service Recruitment Competition will take the form of a competency based interview. The competency based interview focuses the interview process around the past experiences of the candidate. You will be asked to discuss examples of past experiences structured around four competency areas as outlined below. Candidates are recommended to prepare at least 3 examples for each competency.  The interview will take approximately 25 minutes.

1. Ability to Work Under Pressure

In a career with the Defence Forces you will be called on, at times, to work in highly pressurised situations.

Definition

Remains calm when faced with conflicting demands or when working under time pressures or even life threatening situations.  

2. Teamwork

It is important that a Private Soldier is able to work with a variety of other people, most often in team settings

Definition

Works actively with colleagues in a supportive and collaborative way.  Is a reliable member of the team.

3. Motivation

To succeed as a Pte Soldier it is important to have a high degree of motivation

Definition

Can motivate themselves to work through routine and difficult tasks while maintaining standards.

4. Career Orientation

The Army is often said to be more than just a job - that it is a way of life.

Definition

Is genuinely interested and suited to a career in the Army.

• Advertisement

Golfwidow wrote: »
    So, what are these competencies exactly?

Just above this post is what I got in the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭TheStig13

how many people are interviewing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hammerfist

TheStig13 wrote: »
    how many people are interviewing you?

3 people

hammerfist wrote: »
    3 people

did your interview last long? where u asked to give many examples of competencies

Would you say u need to do a lot research for the interview?

how would you answer the career orientation one. bit unsure about that??

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ben1994

Have a strong knowledge about the army going in they will ask you a bit about it.

Ok so had the interview the other day, I feel it went really well don't think I could have done better being honest, just one question at the end when they ask you have you any questions, I had a question in me head before I went just to ask and I forgot it so i said, will that effect the score of my interview are you meant to ask a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭killer91

Axelf0128 wrote: »
    Ok so had the interview the other day, I feel it went really well don't think I could have done better being honest, just one question at the end when they ask you have you any questions, I had a question in me head before I went just to ask and I forgot it so i said, will that effect the score of my interview are you meant to ask a question?

I wouldn't sayso, I just asked about if I was successful when would I hear about a medical date.

I thought I did well meself, but its hard to know with the level of competition.

• Advertisement

killer91 wrote: »
    I wouldn't sayso, I just asked about if I was successful when would I hear about a medical date.

I thought I did well meself, but its hard to know with the level of competition.

Awh that's grand was doing me head in not knowing..
    Yea that's true but their were still a few dipsos left at the interview stage haha fingers crossed

Advertisement