Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army & Navy Recruitment 2014 Interview

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shanemulh92

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but since it says no "electronic entertainment devices" does that mean we can't bring a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Krisd2014

Not sure, a phone would be needed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rusty14

How can a new recruitment drive be started when they haven't finished with the current panel??? Surely all successful applicants should be placed first and then a new competition

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deanzel94

Lads what sort of clothes do we bring is it all just training gear or do we need normal clothes as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stemcg221

Deanzel94 wrote: »
    Lads what sort of clothes do we bring is it all just training gear or do we need normal clothes as well?

I'm bringing normal gear aswell...couple of pairs tracksuit bottoms and t-shirts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but since it says no "electronic entertainment devices" does that mean we can't bring a phone?

Yes you are allowed a phone but in your own personal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ClarkyTrd wrote: »
    Yes you are allowed a phone but in your own personal time.

Maybe. This is not universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ja1994

Anyone starting in galway on monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ire1995

Has everyone that applied in Dublin got a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deanzel94

Think so man have you heard back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 jkachill

Anyone else get Donegal on the 17th

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Krisd2014

jkachill wrote: »

I got Donegal on the 10th, is it the RDF OR PDF you're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 grevdawn

jkachill wrote: »

Did you get the email today?

Yeah around 11 this mornin

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Richie lee

Well lads, has anyone who applied to the curragh been contacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

Richie lee wrote: »

Yeah lad I got Donegal on the 17th of this month. Fairly unhappy with that considering my home barracks are taking lads in. Has anyone been rang by any barracks? I've been rang twice and when I rang back I can't get through.

Yeah lad I got Donegal on the 17th of this month. Fairly unhappy with that considering my home barracks are taking lads in. Has anyone been rang by any barracks? I've been rang twice and when I rang back I can't get through.

See us there mate

• Registered Users Posts: 27 grevdawn

Richie lee wrote: »

I'm still waiting for my email :/

Don't count on getting anywhere you want at any stage. There's every chance you won't be heading back to your home barracks at the end of training so be prepared for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Feeney23

grevdawn wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for my email :/

Me too! Hopefully it's cause were not getting Donegal, were getting The Curragh 🙌 we haven't heard we've failed anyway, so keep the faith haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ja1994

I applied through curragh starting monday in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Got an email in relation to starting in Donegal on Monday the 17th. Don't think ill accept though as I am still in the Cadet competition and my local barracks is the Curragh, where I applied. Best of luck to anybody starting up in Donegal

Why can't you accept anyways? You might not be successful in the cadet competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trouble in P

A career in the Cadets is what I really want, and if I don't get that I can keep working in my current job until next years competition. Donegal is 4.5 hours away from me, even though I applied for the Curragh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

A career in the Cadets is what I really want, and if I don't get that I can keep working in my current job until next years competition. Donegal is 4.5 hours away from me, even though I applied for the Curragh

You dont apply for anywhere anymore. Rather you apply through them and they send you where they want you. You cold apply through cork and still be sent to donegal. You could still be sent there if you make it through cadet training.

The Cadetship is more structured I've been told where you have a little more choice if you do well in your intake.
    It just came at a bad time for the recruits unfortunately

It's extremely unlikely that you'll get where you want unless there's a position for you and you do extremely well in your cadet class. Given you haven't even started and it's a fifteen month programme, it's a little premature to be thinking you're more likely to be facilitated. There's also the fact that as an officer, you're going to move around constantly. This will mean moving around the country on a regular basis, so the barracks you're posted to on commissioning is largely irrelevant anyway. And I wouldn't be refusing any offers of enlisted service either. You'd have to defend that decision at your next interview in any case.

It's extremely unlikely that you'll get where you want unless there's a position for you and you do extremely well in your cadet class. Given you haven't even started and it's a fifteen month programme, it's a little premature to be thinking you're more likely to be facilitated. There's also the fact that as an officer, you're going to move around constantly. This will mean moving around the country on a regular basis, so the barracks you're posted to on commissioning is largely irrelevant anyway. And I wouldn't be refusing any offers of enlisted service either. You'd have to defend that decision at your next interview in any case.

What would you do in my case so?

What would you do in my case so?

Take the position, keep in the cadets competition and see what happens. Depends what you want. If you want to join the army, but only as a cadet, you need to ask yourself what you're really looking to get out of it if you're not willing to soldier in an enlisted capacity. Frankly, I think you need to ask yourself why you want to join the army altogether if that's the case. But above all, do not expect to get sent somewhere convenient. It's very unlikely, and wouldn't last long anyway. You'll probably have a better chance of getting somewhere you want as an enlisted soldier, and wouldn't be moving around constantly. Food for thought, but in either case, don't expect the army's placement of you to be convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭M763

Delusional ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Ire1995

Take the position, keep in the cadets competition and see what happens. Depends what you want. If you want to join the army, but only as a cadet, you need to ask yourself what you're really looking to get out of it if you're not willing to soldier in an enlisted capacity. Frankly, I think you need to ask yourself why you want to join the army altogether if that's the case. But above all, do not expect to get sent somewhere convenient. It's very unlikely, and wouldn't last long anyway. You'll probably have a better chance of getting somewhere you want as an enlisted soldier, and wouldn't be moving around constantly. Food for thought, but in either case, don't expect the army's placement of you to be convenient.

It will look far worse taking the position and then quiting to take the cadet position. In my opinion if you want to do cadets then do it.

Advertisement