Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC Bar Work

Options
  • 11-05-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I'm going over to NY for a J1 in two weeks and (having exhausted all contacts) have not yet found bar work to tide me over there.

Any tips on how to find some once I'm there - should I call or go into each in person (this could take ages in NY)?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

stainluss wrote: »
    I'm going over to NY for a J1 in two weeks and (having exhausted all contacts) have not yet found bar work to tide me over there.

Any tips on how to find some once I'm there - should I call or go into each in person (this could take ages in NY)?

I thought a j1 was to work in the area you studied in college. Can you even work two jobs on a j1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭joeguevara

cena wrote: »
    I thought a j1 was to work in the area you studied in college. Can you even work two jobs on a j1

J1 is nothing to do with what you study in university. You can work in anything. When I was on a j1 worked in a restaurant. Great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

No not the case and you can have more than one job.

OP might be worth calling into irish bars as a start. Point you in the right direction. I'd imagine there are lots of people doing the same but no harm.

Have a great time, I'd love to be doing that all over again. Feck the two jobs, enjoy yourself and come back broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

It depends on the type of J1 I think. Work on the year long J1 has to be related to what you studied in college. The summer J1 is a bit looser on the type of work you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

It depends on the type of J1 I think. Work on the year long J1 has to be related to what you studied in college. The summer J1 is a bit looser on the type of work you can do.

Do you not have to have a summer job before going on the j1 for the summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Do you not have to have a summer job before going on the j1 for the summer

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Nope; there is a big difference between the summer J1, where you can just go over and look for any work, and the one year J1 internship, where things are arranged beforehand (usually), and you can only do certain types of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 w1000

Check out the Emereld isle immigration centre Facebook page. Realistically though without a strong connection (like a sibling who works in a bar already), it may be difficult to find something before they can meet you in person.

Advertisement