Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal-related night classes

Options
  • 11-05-2014 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone know of any night classes that are animal-related for the summer? I'm hopefully starting an animal care course in September and I want as much experience as possible before I start..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

would be interested too!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

oh yes dogging classes with plently of experence:o as well i may add woff woff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The same St John's where you're starting your course does Animal Welfare classes...

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Not night classes, but take a look at Compass Education:

http://www.compass-education.co.uk/

They do a range of animal related distance learning courses and they seem to have a good reputation amongst animal care professionals. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Not night classes, but take a look at Compass Education:

http://www.compass-education.co.uk/

They do a range of animal related distance learning courses and they seem to have a good reputation amongst animal care professionals. :)

Thanks a million, they've a good few courses that interest me. Pity it's so expensive! Cheapest course there is nearly 200 euro .. I'll have to have a better look online and if I can't find anything else then start saving!

• Advertisement

I think I've found somewhere...

www.universalclass.com

Uber cheap!

I think 200 is cheap already, I'm afraid there is nothing cheaper around if it should be a proper course

Fair enough, I just want some kind of extra advantage when I have my interview for this course, so they know I'm dedicated and interested. I'll be paying about 900 quid to do it if I get in, also I'm unemployed, so the cheaper for me the better!

might check out creedons doggy care, they have cheap enough courses every now and then (first aid etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Maybe the CSPCA have a volunteer programme?
    Or even better DAWG.

• Advertisement

celica00 wrote: »
    might check out creedons doggy care, they have cheap enough courses every now and then (first aid etc)

Do you think? I just had a look there myself, other than a dog bite prevention seminar for one day, courses that are still running are up to over two grand..

Do you think? I just had a look there myself, other than a dog bite prevention seminar for one day, courses that are still running are up to over two grand..

I know, but inbetween they often have short courses, dog grooming, first aid etc.
    I receive their newsletter, it always informs if there is something new up!

I don't think experience is very important when doing the course. I certainly didn't have any prior to doing my Animal Welfare course other than an interest in animals. And I still got a very good mark in the exam.

It's not worth spending money you don't have on course which might or might not be relevant. Volunteering is the best way to go.

Hope this helps!

I don't think experience is very important when doing the course. I certainly didn't have any prior to doing my Animal Welfare course other than an interest in animals. And I still got a very good mark in the exam.

It's not worth spending money you don't have on course which might or might not be relevant. Volunteering is the best way to go.

Hope this helps!

You wouldn't think so, but apparently they prefer people who actively show their interest in animals. Night classes are different to the day time ones. I had an interview for the course last August and they really ask a lot of questions about previous experience in the area.

celica00 wrote: »
    I know, but inbetween they often have short courses, dog grooming, first aid etc.
    I receive their newsletter, it always informs if there is something new up!

Oh okay, awesome! If you could please let me know of any cheap short courses that might be running soon, that'd be great, thanks

You wouldn't think so, but apparently they prefer people who actively show their interest in animals. Night classes are different to the day time ones. I had an interview for the course last August and they really ask a lot of questions about previous experience in the area.

They asked me the same too. All I told them was I owned a cat and a dog, have always had animals and have always taken an interest in animal issues. I told them the Animal Welfare represented a change of pace for me as I was doing a course for my own interest rather than career-orientated which is what I've done (and am doing at the moment). That seemed to go down reasonably well as I was offered a place. However - the Animal Welfare course was an evening course and then I did the Dog Grooming during the day. Again - this was for my own interest, as I didn't see a career in it.

You're currently unemployed - right? So I assume money's a bit tight at the moment. I wouldn't be wasting money on courses that might or might not be relevant for you. Volunteering is cheap, easy to do and still shows an interest in the subject. That's only IMHO though.

They asked me the same too. All I told them was I owned a cat and a dog, have always had animals and have always taken an interest in animal issues. I told them the Animal Welfare represented a change of pace for me as I was doing a course for my own interest rather than career-orientated which is what I've done (and am doing at the moment). That seemed to go down reasonably well as I was offered a place. However - the Animal Welfare course was an evening course and then I did the Dog Grooming during the day. Again - this was for my own interest, as I didn't see a career in it.

You're currently unemployed - right? So I assume money's a bit tight at the moment. I wouldn't be wasting money on courses that might or might not be relevant for you. Volunteering is cheap, easy to do and still shows an interest in the subject. That's only IMHO though.

Fair enough, just any other threads on boards that I've seen related to the course all say that work experience is pretty essential. Though they were mostly for the vet nursing courses, it still wouldn't hurt. I tried volunteering, I contacted everywhere in Cork and most never got back to me. The Irish guide dogs did, and I did one day with them, but it's too far out for me (I don't drive), and the day I did with them, I had to get a taxi home because the bus was going from a completely different area due to roadworks, and I don't know that area of Cork at all, so it was too complicated for me to get in and out of there a few times a week.

Oh okay, awesome! If you could please let me know of any cheap short courses that might be running soon, that'd be great, thanks

just sign up for the newsletter to not miss any :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I know you said you don't drive but could you persuade a nice friend to bring you to Liscarroll to do one of their donkey care courses? I did one last year and enjoyed it.

Advertisement