Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie app?

Options
  • 12-05-2014 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Come on tell me there's one in the making? The touch site is grand for the phone but an iOS and android app would be legendary :3
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

There is one in development stages at the minute, not too far from release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

I'm using a third party one for Android. Love it I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    There is one in development stages at the minute, not too far from release.

OH YEAAAAH :D there's no third party ones for iOS v.v

Third party apps are frowned upon by the devs. Loss of ad revenue. Can't blame them either.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Karsini wrote: »
    Third party apps are frowned upon by the devs. Loss of ad revenue. Can't blame them either.
    It's not just that, it's the fact that they tend to be very buggy and often cause multiple duplicate posts to appear in threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

It's not just that, it's the fact that they tend to be very buggy and often cause multiple duplicate posts to appear in threads.

And of course the "genuine" apps never have those problems :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We've had the unofficial ones pulled from the Play store, the advertising issues aside, they were causing multiple posts as mentioned and it was driving people demented (and even more so when the people using it didn't have the ability to figure out why). Besides, they weren't actually "apps." They were just simple wrappers built to show you touch.boards.ie so they provided zero additional functionality to what we already offer.

I've got the latest Android app release candidate on my phone atm and it's *nearly* there as far as I'm concerned - I spotted one or two very small and non-showstopping bugs, but I wouldn't be a "normal" user anyway, so I tend to break things more :D

Dav wrote: »
    We've had the unofficial ones pulled from the Play store, the advertising issues aside, they were causing multiple posts as mentioned and it was driving people demented (and even more so when the people using it didn't have the ability to figure out why). Besides, they weren't actually "apps." They were just simple wrappers built to show you touch.boards.ie so they provided zero additional functionality to what we already offer.

I've got the latest Android app release candidate on my phone atm and it's *nearly* there as far as I'm concerned - I spotted one or two very small and non-showstopping bugs, but I wouldn't be a "normal" user anyway, so I tend to break things more :D

Dammit Dav we told you not to play with the new app D:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

And then we get blamed for the apps mistakes and spend time trying to work out why the user has problems.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

First he breaks the servers, now the app. Stop breaking things, Dav.

*shakes first*

• Advertisement

First he breaks the servers, now the app. Stop breaking things, Dav.

*shakes first*

*shakes second*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Can't wait to get this app...
    Would love to have notifications tell me when someone replies to something I've said as I'm kind of sick of all the Boards email spam.
    Hurry up and release it!

Better get this one pulled too.

Think of all the ad monies you're losing(!) :pac:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/boards-ie-unofficial/5062c1b2-4260-4ce8-83a5-851ed3bd7b09

Better get this one pulled too.

Think of all the ad monies you're losing(!) :pac:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/boards-ie-unofficial/5062c1b2-4260-4ce8-83a5-851ed3bd7b09

Using the touch.boards.ie interface with a fake app... Idiots v.v

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Using the touch.boards.ie interface with a fake app... Idiots v.v

Given that it's only 1MB in size it is literally just a bookmark to the touch site.

Given that it's only 1MB in size it is literally just a bookmark to the touch site.

Literally

If anyone was actually daft enough to use Windows Phone then I might have grounds for concern... :p

This morning something went sideways with the old m.boards and so we've got a plan to patch it and hopefully have it back up and running later today, but it's time is now done. In 2 weeks it'll be permanently switched off. Sorry folks, we know there are a few of you using it, but when these old skins are a problem, it's more trouble than it's worth to fix them and so as we've been saying for years (at least 4 at this stage) we're going to remove them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

As long as the new app doesn't have ads on it... nothing spoils a good app more than stupid banners that take up valuable screen space and get opened by accident. The horror.

It will have ads - how else could it pay for itself?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If anyone was actually daft enough to use Windows Phone then I might have grounds for concern... :p

Why do you have to be so cruel? :(

• Advertisement

Subscribers shouldn't have ads c:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

This morning something went sideways with the old m.boards and so we've got a plan to patch it and hopefully have it back up and running later today, but it's time is now done. In 2 weeks it'll be permanently switched off. Sorry folks, we know there are a few of you using it, but when these old skins are a problem, it's more trouble than it's worth to fix them and so as we've been saying for years (at least 4 at this stage) we're going to remove them.

:(:mad::(:mad::(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

desbrook wrote: »
    I'm using a third party one for Android. Love it I have to say.

I don't

I don't

I don't

I'd rather pay for the app, tbh. Will there be an ad-free option?

Dades wrote: »
    I'd rather pay for the app, tbh. Will there be an ad-free option?

I still think subscribers should be ad-free

Dades: I don't have a definitive answer but I'll find out.

The idea of charging for the app never even occurred to me, it just seems like a bad idea and a barrier to entry.

It's fairly commonplace for apps to have a free version and a paid version sans ads. That could be an option vs disabling ads for subscribers (which might not be possible - or even planned.)

Dades wrote: »
    It's fairly commonplace for apps to have a free version and a paid version sans ads. That could be an option vs disabling ads for subscribers (which might not be possible - or even planned.)

I just want to confirm one thing - subscribers won't see ads in the app. So I think that tackles that.

I just want to confirm one thing - subscribers won't see ads in the app. So I think that tackles that.

EXCELSIOR

• Advertisement

AdBlock :)

No but to be fair usually if ads aren't too intrusive I leave them on but after that massive Vodafone ad with sound that played on the home page I have AdBlock on as a silent protest to Boards :pac:

Advertisement