Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie app?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dav wrote: »
    I just want to confirm one thing - subscribers won't see ads in the app. So I think that tackles that.
    hurrah

hʊˈrɑː/Submit
    exclamation
    used to express joy or approval.
    "Hurrah! No ads for subscribers!"
    noun
    an utterance of the word ‘hurrah’
    "the subscribers gave us a loud hurrah for the app was to show them no ads"
    verb
    shout ‘hurrah’
    "we waved our fingers and hurrahed"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Will the app only be for android? Or will there be an apple version too??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

AdBlock :)

No but to be fair usually if ads aren't too intrusive I leave them on but after that massive Vodafone ad with sound that played on the home page I have AdBlock on as a silent protest to Boards :pac:

The Vodafone ad you mentioned was months and months ago if I recall and the fact that it played sound was an error - we don't want those sorts of ads and when they're reported on the odd occasion that one slips through, they're dealt with really quickly. Ordinarily I wouldn't respond, but you seem to take some sort of sly enjoyment out of recommending AdBlock to people here on Feedback and those ads are the main reason we can pay our wages. The site isn't profitable and this sort of attitude keeps it that way. So if you're not going to support us, that's fine (well it's not actually, but there's no point in arguing it with you), but please stop recommending others do the same, especially when you're using such a piss poor excuse of an accidental ad with sound appearing once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The Vodafone ad you mentioned was months and months ago if I recall and the fact that it played sound was an error - we don't want those sorts of ads and when they're reported on the odd occasion that one slips through, they're dealt with really quickly. Ordinarily I wouldn't respond, but you seem to take some sort of sly enjoyment out of recommending AdBlock to people here on Feedback and those ads are the main reason we can pay our wages. The site isn't profitable and this sort of attitude keeps it that way. So if you're not going to support us, that's fine (well it's not actually, but there's no point in arguing it with you), but please stop recommending others do the same, especially when you're using such a piss poor excuse of an accidental ad with sound appearing once.
    Can you not make adblock a banned word like **** **** etc.

ken wrote: »
    Can you not make adblock a banned word like **** **** etc.
    Firstly, I'd imagine adblock isn't only mentioned on Boards with a view to getting around our ads. It's a common extension and shouldn't be censured as it it's some form of illegal activity. Secondly, banning words is a slippery slope best avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sorry.. did I miss or has it been confirmed that the boards app will be android only ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

_Brian wrote: »
    Sorry.. did I miss or has it been confirmed that the boards app will be android only ??

It's IOS as well, it's windows phone that's not getting the app.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

_Brian wrote: »
    We will have both, Android to be released first.

Dades wrote: »
    Firstly, I'd imagine adblock isn't only mentioned on Boards with a view to getting around our ads. It's a common extension and shouldn't be censured as it it's some form of illegal activity. Secondly, banning words is a slippery slope best avoided.
    Not to be rude but I've seen dav. bitch about adbloker before so just threw out a suggestion. I wouldn't even know if it's possible to block words at a whim so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cant touchthis

We will have both, Android to be released first.

Ye should charge for the IOS version.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't even know if it's possible to block words at a whim so to speak.

Be as simple as sticking it in with the bad words. Sh1t and that.

Pointless though.

Not to be rude but I've seen dav. bitch about adbloker before so just threw out a suggestion.
    Hey, I just offered some unofficial feedback on the suggestion. :)

AdBlock :)

No but to be fair usually if ads aren't too intrusive I leave them on but after that massive Vodafone ad with sound that played on the home page I have AdBlock on as a silent protest to Boards :pac:
    If you don't have a sh1ty Data Cap then you are aswell turn off Adblock and sites will load faster.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/182428-ironic-iframes-adblock-plus-is-probably-the-reason-firefox-and-chrome-are-such-memory-hogs
    This might seem counterintuitive at first — after all, ABP blocks all of those annoying animated Flash ads from loading, and so it should save you from unnecessary memory and CPU hits. Unfortunately, the actual situation is a lot more complex than that. Basically, ABP has grown too big for its own good, and just the very process of running ABP in your web browser consumes more memory and CPU cycles than it saves.

To begin with, according to Mozilla developer Nicholas Nethercote, there is a 60-70MB memory hit having Adblock Plus run in the background on Firefox. The main problem, though, is the process by which ABP actually blocks ads. Basically, ABP inserts a massive CSS stylesheet — occupying around 4MB of RAM — into every single webpage that you visit, stripping out the ads. This wouldn’t be a problem if we were still in the ’90s or early ’00s, but nowadays it is very common for a webpage to have lots of iframes, which are separate, individual webpages that are loaded and embedded within the page you’re currently looking at. The most common example is the ubiquitous social sharing widget (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) which is actually an iframe containing a separate webpage hosted on Facebook/Twitter’s servers.
    You can probably see where this is going.

On a modern website, there can be dozens of iframes. On the ExtremeTech homepage there are 10, which is pretty low. In Nethercote’s testing, he found that TechCrunch used around 194MB of RAM without ABP enabled — but that doubled to 417MB with ABP enabled, after triggering all of the social widgets. In an extreme example, the VIM Color Scheme Test website — which has hundreds of iframes — goes from a few hundred megabytes of memory to almost two gigabytes. Nethercote only tested ABP’s memory consumption in Firefox, but we performed the same test in Chrome and got the same results.

It’s harder to measure the CPU hit from having ABP enabled, but after some non-scientific testing it definitely feels like websites render more slowly with ABP installed.

Hows about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Well it was a massive nuisance nonetheless but I understand mistakes can happen.

And by no means am I recommending AdBlock, since when does mentioning a service translate to recommending it?

Regardless, I actually have it off now anyway so can I be in your good books again please? :D

As you can see by my post count I am very active on Boards so of course I will leave it off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,119 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I mentioned AB once

What a day of feedback drama that was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

What will this app improve? I think the touch site is more or less perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

hey lads, got the mobile app. seems to be working fine, but one or two things stand out:

- can it be possible for threads to open at first unread post, rather than the op?
    - I can't seem to edit posts
    - I can, however, thank my own posts, great for the ego, but probably slipped in as an oversight
    - I like how quoting posts works, the way you can select text from a few posts and quote all

cheers though, works nice on android

few more things:
    - in forum names, '&' displays as '&'
    - sentences don't automatically put capitals at the start of a sentence, doesn't happen on any other text input app I've used
    - can you add the pull down to update functionality that occurs in a lot of other apps, rather than having to press the refresh symbol

few more things: - in forum names, '&' displays as '&-amp-;'
    fixed, I think, just remove hyphens

There's a new forum hidinginthebush for feedback. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1635

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

when is the ios app expected lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

dubmick wrote: »

It's in the app store.Bit crap though at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

It's not in my App Store iPad or iPhone :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    It's not in my App Store iPad or iPhone :(

It's only out for android so far - IOS will follow (I hope)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

The app works great and I've been a beta tester for a bit now but I still find myself using the Touch Site.

Maybe once a notification system is built in them I might fully switch over!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

dubmick wrote: »
    kneemos wrote: »
    It's in the app store.Bit crap though at the moment.
    We haven't released an iOS app yet, kneemos.

Dubmick, no confirmed date as things tend to pop up when testing etc. that need to be fixed or tweaked so it can run longer than intended. It will be in the near future though, lots of work has been done on it already :)

Advertisement