Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 4 Episode 6 "The Laws of Gods and Men": *HAVENT* read the books MOD NOTE POST1

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Best thing I've seen all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Don't think it needs to be said anymore in this thread but, Tyrion = Awesome. Took me ages to get around to watching it, so worth it in the end.
    Tyrion is great. But Tywin owns every scene that he is in.

The sad thing is that Tyrion could be every bit the man his father is, but for being born short. His brain is as sharp and he has steal in his soul. You could well imagine him leading the Lannister family to great success.

Its just unfortunate that people will only ever see him as "the imp".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I have to say that I found ALL actors in that episode simply brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

K_user wrote: »

The sad thing is that Tyrion could be every bit the man his father is, but for being born short. His brain is as sharp and he has steal in his soul. You could well imagine him leading the Lannister family to great success.

Ironic isn't it, the son that could have best lived up to Tywins legacy would have been Tyrion, the one child of his that he basically despises!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dinklage totally over-shadowed Dance this week. And he does it regularly.

Tyrion is too decent a person to be as ruthless as Tywin.

Syferus wrote: »
    Tyrion is too decent a person to be as ruthless as Tywin.
    Really? The drunk and whore chaser?

Tyrion is a victim of circumstance. He is as cocky and self assured as his siblings. He comes from a very rich family. Had he been born "normal", along with his quick wits and self determination, he would have grown into a completely different character. Its his view on the world, and how the world views him, that has shaped him.

He is more "decent" simply because of his empathy, which might not have been as strong if he'd been the same size as his brother.

Lets not forget that Tyrion has threatened to kill, just to prove a point. He happily played mind games with the small council while he was the hand. He burned Stannis's army while they were still in their ships. And he quickly understood why his father arranged the Red Wedding. Once he was given an out at the trial, rather than accepting it, he fought back. The malice was right there in his speech. Justified or not.

He can be just as ruthless as his father, he just knows his limitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He would have been a perfect successor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm just wondering is there any chance Jaime would represent the crown and Bronn represent Tyrion, but Jaime yields at the start of the fight, allowing Tyrion to live ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I have not read the books, so this is in no way a spoiler.
    But did they explain the Hounds disfigurement?
    I know Arya saw how he was scared of fire last season. I can't remember if i imagined this or if a scene actually exists but did they say that the Mountain burnt him for fun when they were kids? That's why they hate each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'm just wondering is there any chance Jaime would represent the crown and Bronn represent Tyrion, but Jaime yields at the start of the fight, allowing Tyrion to live ?

Can't yield in a trial by combat. Especially when the charge in murder.

edit: I have been proven wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Can't yield in a trial by combat. Especially when the charge in murder.

Yes, you can yield.

Ser Vardis attempted to yield when he lifted up his visor against Bronn but Lady Lysa encouraged him to continue.

So I repeat, you can yield. If it is the accused who yields, he is then sentence to death. If it is the champion who yields, the accused is sentenced to death.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Yes, you can yield.

Ser Vardis attempted to yield when he lifted up his visor against Bronn but Lady Lysa encouraged him to continue.

So I repeat, you can yield. If it is the accused who yields, he is then sentence to death. If it is the champion who yields, the accused is sentenced to death.

Sounds like a bad deal for the accused. :P

EyeSight wrote: »
    I know Arya saw how he was scared of fire last season. I can't remember if i imagined this or if a scene actually exists but did they say that the Mountain burnt him for fun when they were kids? That's why they hate each other?

The Mountain showed The Hound's head into a fire when they were kids, aye.

You're correct.

Sounds like a bad deal for the accused. :P

Haha. I meant if the accused actually fights himself, he can still yield but is then later executed. If his champion yields, the accused is then executed later on.

Obviously, if the prosecutor or their champion yields, the accused walks free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

EyeSight wrote: »

When Loras Tyrell and the mountain jousted in the first season, Littlefinger told the story to Sansa.

• Advertisement

Haha. I meant if the accused actually fights himself, he can still yield but is then later executed. If his champion yields, the accused is then executed later on.

Obviously, if the prosecutor or their champion yields, the accused walks free.
    If the champion yields, the accused is considered guilty. The actual punishment is decided by the judges - in this case Tywin.

So if his champion could loses, or yields, Tyrion could still be sent to the wall. But I'd imagine that there would be major trouble for Tywin if he allowed a guilty King Slayer to walk free - oh the irony! :D

GerB40 wrote: »
    When Loras Tyrell and the mountain jousted in the first season, Littlefinger told the story to Sansa.
    And in that fight the Mountain, in a fit of rage, cut his horses head off.

Not the sort to allow a champion to yield in a fight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

If anything, he's a better man than his father. He has compassion and empathy to temper the strict nature, which admittedly he has in spades as well I think (keeping Joff in line, pushing Shae away to try and keep her safe etc)

If anything, he's a better man than his father. He has compassion and empathy to temper the strict nature, which admittedly he has in spades as well I think (keeping Joff in line, pushing Shae away to try and keep her safe etc)
    His empathy comes from being different and being treated different. But he has a wild side. The drinking, the excess, he can be quite grating on others too. Remember how he kept calling Jon b**t**d? There was a lesson in it. But also a test to see how he'd react.

Tywin is completely different. We assume he is still in mourning from his wife. He shows no sign of excess. He's very straight with people. He expects others to work at his level. He puts family reputation, and success, above all else. On arriving at Harrenhal he put a stop to the senseless torture and put people to work. And he had no time for Joffery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

Been thinking about this all night :P

What if Tywin nominates the mountain, thinking that Prince Oberyn will come forward to fight him (and he get's his two birds with one stone) and Oberyn does.. But knows what's going on.. And yields? Major plot twist!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What if Tywein nominates the mountain, thinking that Prince Oberon will come forward to fight him (and he get's his two birds with one stone) and Oberon does.. But knows what's going on.. And yields? Major plot twist!

I have a feeling this is what definitely happens (Tywin nominating The Mountain). Lots have people have predicted it including myself. I think the book readers have inadvertently trickled this information down to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Or what if Tyrion chooses Jaime. That would put Tywin in right quandary considering his desire to further the Lannister lineage and that Jaime is now left handed potentially facing someone like the Mountain.

tricky D wrote: »
    Or what if Tyrion chooses Jaime. That would put Tywin in right quandary considering his desire to further the Lannister lineage and that Jaime is now left handed potentially facing someone like the Mountain.

There's probably something in the rule book about KG even taking part in trials as champions, never mind as the champion of someone accused of killing a king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There's probably something in the rule book about KG even taking part in trials as champions, never mind as the champion of someone accused of killing a king.

There is no such rule, in fact KG are normally the best warriors and ultimately loyal to the king so would probably be more likely to be picked in such a situation.

What if Tywin nominates the mountain, thinking that Prince Oberyn will come forward to fight him (and he get's his two birds with one stone) and Oberyn does.. But knows what's going on.. And yields? Major plot twist!

Someone said earlier in the season that Oberyn is one of the most feared warriors in the world so that shows a lot.

Liam O wrote: »
    There is no such rule, in fact KG are normally the best warriors and ultimately loyal to the king so would probably be more likely to be picked in such a situation.

Exactly, so it would look a bit odd for the KG commander to be defending the man acussed of killing the king, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Someone said earlier in the season that Oberyn is one of the most feared warriors in the world so that shows a lot.

Yup, he's called the Viper as he likes to add poison to his blades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The Mountain showed The Hound's head into a fire when they were kids, aye.

You're correct.
    Ya the mountain found the hound playing with one of his toys and burned his face in the fire because of it. He also killed a man for snoring. Bit of a temper on him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

What time could one expect to watch GOT tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

garv123 wrote: »
    What time could one expect to watch GOT tonight?

Check HBO's twitter

• Advertisement
Advertisement