Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yoga for Runners

• 12-05-2014 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭

Planning to get Yoga into my routine a little more in order to aid posture, flexibility and most importantly to avoid injury. Particularly important for over 40's I think.

Got this timely link from a club email today. Here's four simple starter exercises relevant to running for those interested.

http://www.yogatherapyireland.com/ezine/yoga_on_the_run.html

Anyone have any other links to Yoga pages and/or video routines they find helpful?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

T runner wrote: »
    Planning to get Yoga into my routine a little more in order to aid posture, flexibility and most importantly to avoid injury. Particularly important for over 40's I think.

Got this timely link from a club email today. Here's four simple starter exercises relevant to running for those interested.

http://www.yogatherapyireland.com/ezine/yoga_on_the_run.html

Anyone have any other links to Yoga pages and/or video routines they find helpful?

I tend to use the p90x route but some great poses I find for running specific

Warrior Pose (For variations look at Warrior I, II, III)

Pigeon Pose

Sun Salutations

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

I looked around for a good routine a while back, I settled on this one: Yoga for runners

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

I do this one regularly and find it of great benefit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of2spyCtUkw

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I use the doyogawithme website. Has 100's of videos of various lengths, which is handy for mixing things up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    I tend to use the p90x route but some great poses I find for running specific

Warrior Pose (For variations look at Warrior I, II, III)

Pigeon Pose

Sun Salutations

The crane :D

the-karate-kid.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

I got a book a few months ago which I quite like: Orit Sen-Gupta's Vijnana Yoga Practice Manual. There's a beginner version and a second book, the one I got, that has an intermediate programme at the front and a more advanced one at the back. I've been going to an Iyengar class which varies a bit from week to week, and I eventually found that I was familar with a shedload of poses but didn't really know how to structure them into sequences I could run through at home without being tied down to videos. The book is a basic picture book with drawings showing poses organized into sequences, it comes with a health warning that it's no substitute for a teacher.

In the intermediate version, Sunday is standing poses, Monday is arm balances, Tuesday is simple backbends and leg stretches, Wednesday is forward bends and twists, Thursday is backbend variations and leg stretches, Friday is some sort of "flow" (vinyasa) practice with either lots of sun salutations or a mix of things from the other days, Saturday is a day off and every day is boat poses, headstand and shouldstand variations and sitting poses. I tend to randomly miss days, and to skip stuff, but in general the book works for me. The programme is varied enough to hold my interest, it challenges me and it hits all the spots running, cycling and my desk job tends to leave stiff (lower back, hamstrings, quads, glutes, hips). Having it lying around has given me new ideas for short "reset brain" breaks from my desk, like randomly wandering into the next room and walking my feet up the wall from downward dog into a handstand. Works at least as well (as a brain-reset) as a head-first dive into the fridge or into an A & R discussion.

Then there's Iyengar's own book Light on Yoga - handy for looking up specific poses, less useful (I find) for combining them into patterns that make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

I use the downward facing dog and pigeon along with few other ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

.......Having it lying around has given me new ideas for short "reset brain" breaks from my desk, like randomly wandering into the next room and walking my feet up the wall from downward dog into a handstand. Works at least as well (as a brain-reset) as a head-first dive into the fridge or into an A & R discussion.

Excellent! I'm at my desk a bit too and ive often wondered about using spare time and splitting things up with the odd stretching session. Brain reset sounds good too. I work in IT so if my boss catches me doing a head stand......brain reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I do an Ashtanga yoga class every friday evening and its made a big difference to my running but also to my overall fitness. Its like magic, you can go into that class feeling wiped out and tired but come out 90minutes later feeling brand new. I really think everybody who runs should do yoga.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

... new ideas for short "reset brain" breaks from my desk, like randomly wandering into the next room and walking my feet up the wall from downward dog into a handstand...
    T runner wrote: »
    Excellent! I'm at my desk a bit too and ive often wondered about using spare time and splitting things up with the odd stretching session. Brain reset sounds good too. I work in IT so if my boss catches me doing a head stand......brain reboot.

HR/ Facilities would have a field day (read heart attack) if I was discovered walking backwards up the wall into a handstand - I work in insurance :o:D:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Is there a good 10/15 minute routine that office monkeys could do?

Really keen on the idea of getting out of the office chair for a bit of stretching etc.

Advertisement