Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need anti virus software on W8.1?

• 12-05-2014 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Might seem like a silly question but can i get away with windows defender alone? Really dont like using Avast, AVG etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For a time Microsoft Security Essentials (which forms the backbone of Defender in Win8 and 8:1) was being reviewed very well, but in the last 12-18 months it has been getting steadily worse reviews. These are reviews based on detection rates and directly related to its suitability as a sole AV solution.

Microsoft themselves don't seem keen to continue offering MSE in the long-term, so I'd recommend using an additional AV product on top of Defender. I've mostly used F-secure as I have a free licence through my workplace, but there are numerous free offerings available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I wouldnt just use Defender to be honest. If you use Avast and switch on Silent Gaming Mode, you never get any popups. That'd be my suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Avira is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭prq

I've used AVG Free for a long time, but am turning to Avast as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Like eset myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I still have an active Webroot subscription and I am a fan. But thats also not free so dont mind me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Make sure windows update is working.
    Set up a local limited account. Use that account for general use.
    Set a strong password on the admin account and only use when needed.
    Use gmail for your email.
    Point your DNS to OpenDNS servers. Maybe use some of the advanced opendns stuff.
    https://support.opendns.com/entries/26514730-Web-Content-Filtering-and-Security
    Look for reviews of any lesser known software you intend to install.
    General bits and pieces that should ensure all you need is defender or nothing at all in a lot of cases.

Advertisement