Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making External Garage Doors

• 12-05-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I currently have a PVC coated steel garage and the doors on it (one single and one double) are pretty terribly.

The doors are made from the same box section and sheeting as the garage and they just don't work well.

I am considering trying to make timber doors myself and am wondering if it feasible for me to do myself. I have some experience with woodwork and have some good (domestic standard) equipment, including a table saw, a mitre saw and router.

Can anyone advise on this. I want the doors to be strong (security) yet light. Also I would need advice on what is a good type of timber to use and where to source. Finally, any tips or designs?

Asking a lot I know, but I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

As long as they are hinged doors and you have upright posts to take the weight of the doors I don't see a problem.
    Design them yourself - in keeping with the industrial look of the garage.
    For security, make sure one door is anchored top and bottom and secure the second door to that. I have a double door lock - a big metal disc which locks to the inside of two brackets - it can only be opened from inside.You might want to screw some heavy duty metal grid to the inside of the doors for extra security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Any recommendations on a good weather resistant timber?

prospect wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Any recommendations on a good weather resistant timber?

Its got to be Iroko - cheapish and very durable. ( You will need a planer/thicknesser to machine it. Its horrible stuff to machine without a dust extractor ). If you want a frame and panel design use WBP ply for the panels - at least 12mm thick. I think I'd use solid timber throughout however for peace of mind. Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks for the advise.

I think I'll be going with solid as per your advise. I am not familiar with Iroko, but will investigate.

I do not have a planer/thicknesser though. D I'll have to see if I can get lengths of T&G or shiplap.

Thanks again.

prospect wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise.

I think I'll be going with solid as per your advise. I am not familiar with Iroko, but will investigate.

I do not have a planer/thicknesser though. D I'll have to see if I can get lengths of T&G or shiplap.

Thanks again.

Shiplap etc is really a cladding for sheds. Its only about 18 mm thick or so and won't provide much security. Think about investing in a planer /thicknesser - it will free you from the tyranny of having to buy pre-finished wood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement