Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 month old naps

Options
  • 12-05-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Our little guy currently takes a morning and evening nap which generally average at around 2-2.5 hours although 3.5 hours wouldnt be unheard off. He always goes to bed around 7:30 but last week it was taking around 45 minutes to get him to sleep.

This weekend, we let him take his morning nap which was about 1.5 hours and he got up around 12. He wasnt really tired enough for another nap until 5pm which is too late to nap so i kept him up and both nights he went to bed and slept 12 hours straight which was just heaven (he had taken to getting up at 6am over the last few weeks).

Im beginning to think that the one good nap every day is enough for him and have asked the creche to start trying to slowly move his morning nap to later in the day. Just curious what your 14 month old does?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

My almost 13 month old now only takes one nap from around 11ish till lunchtime. It usually lasts around 2 to 2 1/2 hours. He used to have two naps but dropped the later on a few weeks ago. He also goes to bed at 7:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Nead21 wrote: »
    My almost 13 month old now only takes one nap from around 11ish till lunchtime. It usually lasts around 2 to 2 1/2 hours. He used to have two naps but dropped the later on a few weeks ago. He also goes to bed at 7:30pm.

Thanks Nead. I just wanted some affirmation that it's ok at this age to drop to one nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

yellow hen wrote: »
    Thanks Nead. I just wanted some affirmation that it's ok at this age to drop to one nap.

At 14mths my now 18mth old transitioned from 2 naps to 1 longer nap. Initially it was 11am-1/1.30pm, but now @ 18mth it's 12-1.30/2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Most babies move to one nap at around a year old. Our crèche initiated with my son but he wasn't ready until13-14 months. My daughter did it herself at 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Most babies move to one nap at around a year old. Our crèche initiated with my son but he wasn't ready until13-14 months. My daughter did it herself at 12 months.
    Our crèche is tiny but the other two small ones take two naps too. I'm just happy to know that one nap is the norm so I can move O to one and we can have 12 hour night sleeps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Whatever you can do to get the 12 hour sleeps!! É started sleeping for 12 hours last weekend but then he got a throat infection and got 4 teeth in a week. Poor thing. We're back now to waking all the time....hopefully he'll starting stretching it again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

My fella went from two naps to one right around the year mark too.

Kind of happened by accident as we were away down the country with family and it was too awkward getting to and from the house for two naps every day so I tried him on one nap and he was grand. Slept like a log at night too!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

ariana` wrote: »
    At 14mths my now 18mth old transitioned from 2 naps to 1 longer nap. Initially it was 11am-1/1.30pm, but now @ 18mth it's 12-1.30/2pm.

Our boys are the same (17 months). Usually down for 11-11.30 depending on how tired they are, and then sleep till 1.30-2ish. That does them until they head to bed about 7.30-8ish (or until dad is finished playing with them when he gets home :))

Conor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

He is 16 months now but for the last few months he goes to bed at 7pm,gets up about 7:30/8am has breakfast does the epic school run with me then we get back at 9:45 he goes to bed and then I wake him or her wakes at 12:15 for school collection.
    That is usually his only nap.

Advertisement