Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whey Protein shake alternatives

• 12-05-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi folks,

so basically I am looking for alternatives to my whey protein shakes. I was working out 5 mornings a week ( Circuit, HIIT, Body resistance and weight training ) but have had to cut back due to a shoulder injury.

Meantime I have found out I am intolerant to all Types of Milk ( Cows goat and sheep) and it's the proteins in the milk ,which subsequently means I have had to stop eating Beef and Lamb ( I already knew I was intolerant to pork )

Also cannot have wheat ( actual wheat as opposed to gluten so can have say rye,oats and barley), Corn maize in its full form ( ok with the flour as its broken down ) and a couple of other things.

So my diet is limited to Chicken and Turkey ( some fish which sadly I dislike ), veggies, grains that don't contain 'wheat'. Spuds, fruit, nuts and eggs.

I recently started doing the 5:2 diet ( I have a considerable amount of weight to lose ) and its working ... Yah

But I am missing my post workout protein shakes.
    I am aware that there is no benefit to drinking the shakes as opposed to eating the proteins but on a calorie controlled diet the proteins I can eat are very calorie high which causes problems on 'fast days' .. atm I'm limited to egg white omelettes ... and there are only so many of those one gal can stand before she goes nuts.

I would really love to find a good alternative. I have read up on hemp for example. But I'm wary of switching to an alternative shake without some input from those who may have tried them.
    If I could find a good shake that I can mix with water I could sip that in the mornings before having my main meal.

so just wondering if anyone else here has milk protein allergies and what alternatives have you found for protein shakes ?

Ta Muchly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Pineapple202

You shouldn't be concerned about switching to an alternative.

There are far more natural protein rich shake additions you can make that don't involve whey

You should really be making your own and getting real nutrients
    e.g hemp (as you mentioned) I have it in powder form and is far cheaper than a whey protein supplement
    sun warrior protein is great too, is completely natural but a bit on the expensive side

then add your unsweetened nut milk (almond works fine)
    a handful of nuts/seeds or nut butter works well too
    chia or flax for a healthy dose of essential fatty acids (these guys really have their place in fitness which people don't realise)

hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

that sounds yummy ! I have almond milk and cashew nut butter that I had previously been adding to my shakes anyway. ( as well as spinach and avocado .... looks gross but tastes damn good ! ) But as im sure you know there are a lot of 'crap' protein powders out there and I'm looking for a good quality one ( not mentioning any health food stores in particular who sell really bad cheaply made whey powders ) but you know what I mean.

My Trainer did mention Sun warrior to me actually, I had totally forgotten until I read your post !

So I will go have a look see what they have to offer .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Bandit 6

I use hemp, I would recommend it anyway, alot more healthy then whey aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Bandit 6 wrote: »
    I use hemp, I would recommend it anyway, alot more healthy then whey aswell

How?

I've heard the taste leaves a lot to be desired but don't know much beyond this and it's price tag!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

dont use Soy, texture is awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I use Pulsin Pea Protein. Taste isn't too bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Eat a can of tuna or a chicken breast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Bandit 6

Actually avoid hemp, gives me terrible bloating recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I use Pulsin Pea Protein. Taste isn't too bad :)

I use this too. Taste isnt great but you get used to it. I find it good and its cheap to boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

I've been using rice protein isolate.
    Whey tastes amazing but I just start breaking out when I have it.
    I could happily eat a bucket of it! but thats probably the forbidden fruit thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement