Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking boots repair

Options
  • 12-05-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I've had my walking boots about 6 years and I walk the dogs twice a day on rugged ground, I also go hill walking quite a lot.

So anyway my one boot sole has come away from the boot at the back, it's still connected at front. Well Does anyone have any advice on a glue that will stick it back . I'd like to keep boots as if for nothing els I could use for walking dogs.

Another thought that went through my head was if I took them into a local cobblers.

The boots other than this are in ok condition, I will probably buy new ones soon but I'd hate to throw them out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I don't know what brand of boots you have, but many outdoor shops offer a facility to get boots resoled. I think that they send them back to the manufacturers. You could look into this.

I don't think that a cobbler would be set up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Bring them to a cobblers before they get any worse ,

Avoid walking in wet grass , though or the glue won't last .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If they have plastic soles the cobbler won't be able to repair them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Local cobbler.
    Have had it done to my boots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I bought a glue today from tesco , it's a contact adhesive, rubber,leather, And I bought some nikwax wax, I gave them both a birthday , well see how it goes ,

The glu was quite thick and it said to leave glu around 5 mins once applied before sticking together, I followed instructions to the word. If it doesn't work I'll look into taking to cobblers . So far it's only cost me 3.50 .

My boots are asolo walking boots, cost me 170 euro 6 od years ago, I think the reason the one sole tore was because I've been using them for last few months digging in garden and to be quite honest they've spent most of their life outside back door in all elements .

I must say since I put nikwax wax on them they look a thousand times better, that with glu and new laces I'm pretty chuffed with myself. ......so far :0)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ok so that was May and they broke again today , in fairness they are still 100% waterproof . I might have another stab at them , I don't think the glue was that great .

Am I being really tight here folks, should I just let them go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

if they are vibram soles they can be just resoled there was a guy in dublin that did it but I've forgotten his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Ok so that was May and they broke again today , in fairness they are still 100% waterproof . I might have another stab at them , I don't think the glue was that great .

Am I being really tight here folks, should I just let them go ?

did you bring them to a cobbler?

Bring them to a cobbler.

It's not that pricey. Just had trail runners repaired recently for a fiver. Had Meindl boots repaired before for a tenner - not soles mind you, but where stitches had torn in the upper part and they were leaking. Far better than messing around with glue. Brought other walking boots to them before and they took one look and said they were gone. So they should give you a quick idea if they are beyond repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

sheesh wrote: »
    if they are vibram soles they can be just resoled there was a guy in dublin that did it but I've forgotten his name.

Anyone able to point me in the direction of a Vibram sole repairer around Dublin ?

• Advertisement

http://www.cdshoes.ie/services_hikingbootrepairs

have you not heard of google? :pac:

Thanks for your reply. ( 'suppose I was looking for personal reccos rather than whatever a search pulls up )

Have you used C + D ? If so, how did you find their work ?

I know the great outdoors on chatham street used to recommend a guy that did it try giving them a ring.

Follow up : C + D did a grand job :)

Advertisement