Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Phone call From Eircom, wondering if its a new Scam

Options
  • 12-05-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Bad Reception, Indian person on the phone saying they are from Eircom, wanting me to run command prompts, saying that I am having problems with my internet connection. which I am but I have not contacted eircom about it and i am not with eircom, i am currently switching provider from sky to vodafone but having huge problems with delays and no communication from vodfone but thats another story. I know that eircom own the lines though and my connection seems to be going up and down like a yoyo and I'm not sure who to call about it because right now vodafone have my line and sky have my internet. They are ringing back later as I had no time to talk to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Bad Reception, Indian person on the phone saying they are from Eircom, wanting me to run command prompts, saying that I am having problems with my internet connection. which I am but I have not contacted eircom about it and i am not with eircom, i am currently switching provider from sky to vodafone but having huge problems with delays and no communication from vodfone but thats another story. I know that eircom own the lines though and my connection seems to be going up and down like a yoyo and I'm not sure who to call about it because right now vodafone have my line and sky have my internet. They are ringing back later as I had no time to talk to them.
    Complete scam, they also call up claiming to be Microsoft etc. Great source of entertainment if you have the time for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

What number appeared on your caller ID OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭therealwillie

desbrook wrote: »
    It was an unknown number.

Xennon wrote: »
    Complete scam, they also call up claiming to be Microsoft etc. Great source of entertainment if you have the time for it :D
    I was pretty sure it was but seeing as I am having problems I was thinking just maybe someone got off their asses and started helping me, I should know better! 

Thank You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

desbrook wrote: »
    It was an unknown number.

Xennon wrote: »
    I was pretty sure it was but seeing as I am having problems I was thinking just maybe someone got off their asses and started helping me, I should know better!

Thank You.
    Hi therealwillie

I can confirm that this was a fraudulent/scam call and was certainly not an agent calling from eircom. These calls have been happening a while now and the callers are claiming to be from a number of different companies. It is best not to oblige these callers and simply hang up if they call again.

Investigations in to this are ongoing however eircom do have a malicious calls bureau to discuss this further. You can contact the malicious calls bureau on free phone 1800689689.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement