Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

hope all goes well mirror wall,Yeh the Lucozade is rank!If it's the 3 hour test your arm should be good and sore coming put . The joys of pregnancy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Wahoo all tests clear! I do have to keep an eye on the itching and come back for another blood test at any time if there's any substantial change. And despite resigning myself to GD because of my BMI I passed with flying colours, all draws perfect. Sweet!!!

And baby's heartbeats spot on :)

It's been a better day. Oh and for the teachers who might understand I got word yesterday that the appeal for my CID came through so I am officially a (permanent) 22hr teacher!! I can celebrate it now!

great news!you'll have to celebrate the weekend now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Awe mirror wall that's great news, all is well for you !!

I'm in bed with tissues hanging out of my nose, how glamorous, my son's birthday party tomoz how will I survive a gang of 9 year olds and feeling this awful. Supposed to be heading to a 21st tonight but I would rather die than get out of my Pjs,long gone are my partying days,
    Am such a moany bítch.

moan all ya like it's allowed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Mirrorwall what an epic day for you! I am delighted you got your CID. That is such a lovely way to head towards your maternity leave knowing you have a permanent job. Put the champagne on ice for January!

Sleep is so over rated, I'd much rather ly awake struggling to breathe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cosycottager

Hi girls, i havent been on this in a while, hope everyone is doing great! Mirrorwall congrats on the contract, I too am a teacher but one who as of yet am unsure as to whether I will get my wages whilst on maternity- I dont get paid for hols or sick days at present!

The reason I have 'time' to go on this is that I spent two nights in hospital this week with a bleed. I was calm about the whole situation until yday when I was discharged, now I am a nervous wreck and have pain below my bump, I suppose in the pelvic area. I was always one of those ones "I am only pregnant not sick" and so continued on as normal! However, I think now I have a real fright got! Being a teacher then the guilt takes over, missing a double 6th yr yday was stressing me out since Thurs and now the hospital have signed me off for 2 weeks- just so happens one is mid term. I am still unconvinced as to whether I will take this week or not. I pride myself if you like on not missing time- I missed 1 day all of last year and the previous yr none, I had to ring inn scik 2 weeks ago for 2 days and missed 2 this week too. I an already loosing sleep as to what to do for the week plus I wont get paid for the 2 weeks. There are another 2 girls pregnant in the sch and none of them have had to take ay time off yet- they are not as far as me but still in all I feel like I am creating a mountain out of a mole hill!! I am only covering for another teacher in the sch and so have not the joy of 'permanent' teacher status! Sorry for the moan girls but I feel better already, albeit still unsure as to what to do!

On another note, anybody else been told they're due before they thought? I was sure of my dates, my gp and consultant the same, yet any nurse, doc or locum gp I have met in last 2 months have said I am due sooner, by about 2/3 weeks. The mid wives were sure and certain I am due before 17th Jan!

hi cosycottager,sorry ta hear your having a tough time of it . I know what you mean about missing work(and the pay) but here's my new take on it since last week .nobody at work cares more for you or your baby than you do yourself . You can run yourself into the ground and they will think as much of you whether your there or not.

3 of us are pregnant at work too,one has been out sick since she found out(previous miss so she was takin no chances) me and the other girl are still there,I'm further on than her and she's only covering for the girl that's out.
    It's tough when your used to giving it your all to have to take a step back but if you are pushing yourself just slow down,and if that doesn't work then Consider your options again,and no try not to stress. Teenagers are good at adapting if they have to!

Hi girls, i havent been on this in a while, hope everyone is doing great! Mirrorwall congrats on the contract, I too am a teacher but one who as of yet am unsure as to whether I will get my wages whilst on maternity- I dont get paid for hols or sick days at present!

The reason I have 'time' to go on this is that I spent two nights in hospital this week with a bleed. I was calm about the whole situation until yday when I was discharged, now I am a nervous wreck and have pain below my bump, I suppose in the pelvic area. I was always one of those ones "I am only pregnant not sick" and so continued on as normal! However, I think now I have a real fright got! Being a teacher then the guilt takes over, missing a double 6th yr yday was stressing me out since Thurs and now the hospital have signed me off for 2 weeks- just so happens one is mid term. I am still unconvinced as to whether I will take this week or not. I pride myself if you like on not missing time- I missed 1 day all of last year and the previous yr none, I had to ring inn scik 2 weeks ago for 2 days and missed 2 this week too. I an already loosing sleep as to what to do for the week plus I wont get paid for the 2 weeks. There are another 2 girls pregnant in the sch and none of them have had to take ay time off yet- they are not as far as me but still in all I feel like I am creating a mountain out of a mole hill!! I am only covering for another teacher in the sch and so have not the joy of 'permanent' teacher status! Sorry for the moan girls but I feel better already, albeit still unsure as to what to do!

On another note, anybody else been told they're due before they thought? I was sure of my dates, my gp and consultant the same, yet any nurse, doc or locum gp I have met in last 2 months have said I am due sooner, by about 2/3 weeks. The mid wives were sure and certain I am due before 17th Jan!

Deep breaths hun.

First: The LC's and all the students will be ok. I know exactly what you mean and i'm usually the one stressed to the 9's about missing time with classes, particularly doubles but the reality is they WILL manage without you. The school will get a sub and the work will get done, even if it isn't you. This is a very hard thing to disassociate yourself from, but for your own sanity keep repeating "They will be fine".

Second: Missing time is normal for illness. It is not a sign of weakness, in 20 years time no one will remember if you were in or out that week in October. Don't go back before you are able (actually I know if I'm certified I'm not allowed back unless the doc amends the cert). This is about you, your health and nothing else. The docs have multiple years training, we should listen to them in the same way we expect our students to listen to us.

Third: Finances are a worry and unfortunately not an easy one to overcome. Are there any expenses you can minimise or eliminate immediately to start helping towards the time off? Become a bargain hunter, buy everything second hand. Check out the bargain alerts forum here and the living frugally, there are some great tips.
    Read this. If you qualify you will get sick pay from the 6th day of the sick leave. You may need to apply urgently if you haven't as you need to apply within 7 days of getting sick.

Finally there can be changes in dates, I don't know anyone personally but seems to be a lot of it online! I wouldn't worry too much one way or the other the baby will come out :)

Look after yourself, make a list of things you need to do and pop on here for reassurance/moan when you need to x

• Advertisement

Plus one to what everyone said here. I had a bleed a few weeks ago and I got the fright of my life. I also got a taste of how I would feel if anything happened to my baby and it was the wake up call I needed. I am also a teacher, teaching everything up to sixth year higher level and I am a year head. I love my job and give it my all but at the end of the day I would be heartbroken if anything happened to my baby. don't feel guilty for putting your health and mental well being ahead of everything else. You need plenty of rest after that bleed
    On another note, do you mind me asking what your contracts status is? Are you casual? It is very tough that you are not being paid sick or maternity leave. They have destroyed the teaching profession for new teachers. ( sorry rant over!)
    Take care.

Hi girls, thanks so much for all yer support and advice! I am really feeling over whelmed since I was discharged yesterday! I was so calm when I got the bleed and for the hospital stay, I think I was so in auto pilot that it only hit me once out of the hospital! There has been alot of tears since I can tell ye!!!! Mirrorwall, you struck a cord with me, I expect my students to listen to me all the time and my expertise, maybe its about time I just believed doctors that I need the time off!

I feel half silly for feeling like this, I know the students will be fine, and I know they cudnt care less whether I am in or not!!

Fall my status is that I covered for a teacher last yr in the sch who was on carers leave. For that yr I had a fixed term contract from Sept to May. I was entitled to maternity etc (although seemingly the dept make it diff to get it, it can be a fight). This yr, the same job came up at the v end of the summer. I told the principal and vp I was expecting and got the job. Was thrilled! Then the principal gave me a 'specific purpose contract' which is a fixed term contract but is a bit wishy washy. When I was out 2 weeks ago, the principal rostered me so that I wud get paid. Then I rang ASTI so basically if I can get the contract changed to say Fixed term I will be entitled to sick leave and maternity leave, although it will be a battle seemingly with the dept but the ASTI have said they'll help. The principal had said the contract cud be changed if needed. However, I never got bk to her to say I need it changed so its all in limbo now!

The joys of being a teacher in Ireland eh!!!

Hi girls, thanks so much for all yer support and advice! I am really feeling over whelmed since I was discharged yesterday! I was so calm when I got the bleed and for the hospital stay, I think I was so in auto pilot that it only hit me once out of the hospital! There has been alot of tears since I can tell ye!!!! Mirrorwall, you struck a cord with me, I expect my students to listen to me all the time and my expertise, maybe its about time I just believed doctors that I need the time off!

I feel half silly for feeling like this, I know the students will be fine, and I know they cudnt care less whether I am in or not!!

Fall my status is that I covered for a teacher last yr in the sch who was on carers leave. For that yr I had a fixed term contract from Sept to May. I was entitled to maternity etc (although seemingly the dept make it diff to get it, it can be a fight). This yr, the same job came up at the v end of the summer. I told the principal and vp I was expecting and got the job. Was thrilled! Then the principal gave me a 'specific purpose contract' which is a fixed term contract but is a bit wishy washy. When I was out 2 weeks ago, the principal rostered me so that I wud get paid. Then I rang ASTI so basically if I can get the contract changed to say Fixed term I will be entitled to sick leave and maternity leave, although it will be a battle seemingly with the dept but the ASTI have said they'll help. The principal had said the contract cud be changed if needed. However, I never got bk to her to say I need it changed so its all in limbo now!

The joys of being a teacher in Ireland eh!!!

My mother is a retired secondary school teacher and that was what she told me when I was out for two weeks in September. She pointed out that even the midwives have multiple years experience and the consultant who gave me the two week cert had at least 12 years odd training before they were a consultant and I was being childish not believing them :) I was freaking out! Now I will take the day off if I need to and I'm working on not feeling guilty. I've picked up a cold and my asthmas set off again today so I'm psyching myself up in case I end up off next week again.

Use me as the motivation hun, I had to get the TUI involved in my CID and they've just come through with the full 22hr CID. You don't need to be in school for this. Ring the ASTI on Monday, get a contact for someone to look at your case and send them all the information you have. It sounds like because you had a fixed term contract last year that you'll have good grounds to fight the specific purpose and God knows it is worth it for you! My attitude now is that if you don't fight for it, principals-no matter how nice they are-will do what is best for them and not necessarily for you!

It was my principal who said that she wud change the contract to get onto the ASTI and find out. Its the exact same job I have this year as I had last yr so I dunno why she didnt just give me same as last yr!!! It makes no difference to her really, exccept for making it easier if I needed a sub as opposed to putting me on roster!!

I had said I wud stay till Xmas, as I was full sure I wud be well able but it seems now like a million yrs away!!! One of the other teachers not due till end of Feb and they're going at end of Nov, but then again she is permanent so will come back and then get paid for summer, I wont. So I was trying to stay till bitter end. If I had that contract sorted and ended up having to take sick leave it wud ease my mind too I think!

Congrats on the CID, that is such fantastic news!! It is great that you have the security!

Definitely fight your case. The union are winning cases like these every week.( I know a teacher who got back paid because she should have been on a 22 hour contract since September) If there is any precedent it won't even need to go to the labour relations court. Be persistent and email everything, even after a phone call email just to confirm the details of the phone call.
    I felt very fragile the week after I had my bleed. I felt vunerable and frustrated because I was fighting accepting that I was going to have to slow down. It was also only when I got home that it hit me. Your Mam is so right. Listen to the advice of the doctors.

I think thats what is wrong with me too I am not used to slowing down or feeling ill. Plus a little guilt if I am to be honest, I hadnt planned on getting pregnant, I was only engaged 4 months when I found out, I have been extremely sick with morning sickness and nausea and at times I went down the path of self pity, why me right now. I have always wanted kids but the next 12 months in my head was me getting married and getting a permanent job. Dont get me wrong, now I am so thrilled and have never been as happy or content but part of me is like oh mayb its pay back for all the tears I cried when I found out I was pregnant. TOTALLY madness, I know its not, but my emotions are just running with themselves since yday!!!

Everything is too much for the last 2 days. Hormones!!!! Fragile is exactly the word Fall!

Ah you poor thing. My first child was a surprise and I also took a while to reconcile myself with my new reality! I presumed I would be able to have a second no problem. Seven years later and it only happened now so the one thing I have learned is to that we can make all the plans we like but life will often just do its own thing. Sometimes you just have to go with it. Don't be so worn out that you are exhausted by the time the baby arrives. Take the last few days as your body telling you something. You are working 24/7 growing your little bundle so you are going to have to compromise somewhere else and if that means time off work so be it. You sound like a dedicated teacher and you will have already impacted greatly on your students life. It's time to be good to yourself.

Ah shor I think all teachers care dont we, it goes with the territory!! Thanks Fall for the ear, none of my family or friends are teachers so they dont get what the concerns are!!!

I think too I need to take stock that this little person is now boss and not me!!! It has always been very active but for last 2 days its going hell for leather, which causes me to laugh I am patting my bump saying ok point proven mr or missus I get it I have to slow down!!!

How many weeks are you Fall, when are you due? That is great, your 7 yr old must be so excited as well!!

i am just over 29 weeks so due on the 2nd of January. My little boy is delighted. It's great to have somewhere like this to rant/ chat and share. I didnt have this the first time round. The baby moving is the best feeling in the world. My little lad loves feeling the kicks. Enjoy every minute of it!

Ah lads, this thread is just amazing, the support Ye all give is just incredible!!

It's super hard to take a step down, I was the same arguing that I wasn't doing all the hours I used to at work even tho I'd be doing huge deliveries by myself, now I'm not in for them and I've realised how crazy it was!

As for the planning of children, as I've heard before,if people waited for the perfect time to have babies ,there would be none at all.

Still absolutely smoothered but lying here in bed surrounded by tissues, stinking of Vicks, watching my little lady roll around in my tummy and I wouldn't change a thing. I'm as happy as a pig in shíte !!

Ps survived the party!

• Advertisement

Ya it is great!! I have been reading it all the time but never said much but today I found it great help!! Thanks for all the advice I think I best hit the hay here and rest again! Take care!

I hear ya Lashes. We are very lucky. Night all x

I love having the board to chat on. My husband actually knows half your usernames coz I'll be like "lashes" said this etc!

Cosycottager dont leave it to the principal, definitely get onto the ASTI yourself. Apart from anything else if your principal is anything like mine, they are just too busy for that kind of thing!

wide awake listening to the wind!!can't complain had a great lie in th I should m I run abd c was back in bed by 10 however I'm working tomorrow :(

bobskii wrote:
    wide awake listening to the wind!!can't complain had a great lie in this mornin and was back in bed by 10 however I'm working tomorrow :(

I'm awake trying to breathe again!! My chest is KILLING me..No work for me tomoz tho!!

I'm awake trying to breathe again!! My chest is KILLING me..No work for me tomoz tho!!

did ya try them lemon honey mix?its good for soothing your throat . I've woken up with a whopper cold sores just hope these kids are over the vomiting bug!

My throat (touch wood ) is surprisingly fine, it's just on my chest now, I have a beautiful manly cough, and it's so so tight. I put getting my swab done on the long finger so I think I'll take a trip to the docs in the morning and kill two birds withh one stone

Isn't cold sores a sign of being run down or something? I suffer from them from time to time and it feels the size of an extra head on your lip and everyone is staring at it. Also my chemist sells the generic version of zovaric and it's a third of the price with same ingredients, to save you a few Bob bobskii ;)

• Advertisement

lol thanks lashes ill get some tomorrow!!Yeh think it's a sign of being run down but after toda u I've only 2 full working days till mid toll so hope I'll be grand.

that cough sounds rough best off get it checked in case it starts off a chest infection!

Advertisement