Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I know it's not standard international best practise but what if it's showing issues? Is it still ok to ask for it to be taken off so you can move?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

It can be done intermittently and you don't have to be on your back. The heart rate usually changes as the baby descends. I had one strapped to me for about 15 hours on my first. It was so uncomfortable and I definitely think it slowed me down. You would love the stuff on gentle birth. Every query you can think off can be answered. There are gps on it having their own children and it was set up by a midwife Tracey Donegan so it is sound advice. There are also people with every type of medical issues so you can have good support.

fall wrote: »
    It can be done intermittently and you don't have to be on your back. The heart rate usually changes as the baby descends. I had one strapped to me for about 15 hours on my first. It was so uncomfortable and I definitely think it slowed me down. You would love the stuff on gentle birth. Every query you can think off can be answered. There are gps on it having their own children and it was set up by a midwife Tracey Donegan so it is sound advice. There are also people with every type of medical issues so you can have good support.

Cool. I guess I'm gonna have to find out exactly what his heart rate problems were (I remember the doc saying he wasn't coping with the contractions). Speed certainly wasn't an issue with me rofl

I was told the same on my first. They kept taking samples from his head. And hearing they are distressed freaks you out. I had a drip and so much crap hooked up to me. I was given antibiotics, pet hiding oxytocin and I got the epidural. I just said to myself there has to be a more natural less complicated way to do this. Fast forward eight years and I had the total other end of the spectrum labour. All fours on a mat on the ground without so much as a paracetamol.

fall wrote: »
    I was told the same on my first. They kept taking samples from his head. And hearing they are distressed freaks you out. I had a drip and so much crap hooked up to me. I was given antibiotics, pet hiding oxytocin and I got the epidural. I just said to myself there has to be a more natural less complicated way to do this. Fast forward eight years and I had the total other end of the spectrum labour. All fours on a mat on the ground without so much as a paracetamol.

Ya he had two samples from the head too. I suppose what worries me was that it essentially was a natural labour apart from the monitoring. I only had gas and air. There wasn't enough time for the epidural, he was called when I hit 4cm, he arrived within half an hour but when he was ready to give it to me I was actually ready to push. I didn't have oxytocin. And it was too late for it to have been the gels that caused the short labour according to the senior reg. I wasn't even covered by antibiotics for strep because it had only gone in when I arrived on the labour ward an hour earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

it's or on ably just as well I'm getting too old to have kids I think if I had my way I'd have loads more!I love being pregnant and now I know labour is not as bad as id imagined all these years I'd do it over and over!

bobskii wrote: »
    it's or on ably just as well I'm getting too old to have kids I think if I had my way I'd have loads more!I love being pregnant and now I know labour is not as bad as id imagined all these years I'd do it over and over!

I will go again, possibly this time next year. I'd like a bit more time to recover. Oh and this is the part of my chart that worries me, though it's also kind of hilarious!!

christ that really was fast!!I think I will go again myself so long as all is done and dusted by next summer . must get my skates on :P

bobskii wrote: »
    christ that really was fast!!I think I will go again myself so long as all is done and dusted by next summer . must get my skates on :P

Yup. I better not go faster next time around :) Ha ha, you certainly will have to!

That's impressive Mirrorwall. Good luck to all trying again. Will be weird seeing all my January buddies in a different month :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Haha I was just thinking that too fall and I'll be so envious if ye all are expecting before me!

Hmm I wonder if constant monitoring is the norm for baby that's pooped inside? That's why I was on first,but to be honest I was so young and naiive they could have told me I had to stand on my head and I would have followed! Did you need stitches fall after second? That really helped my recovery by not having them.

As for back teeth mirror. I don't think they come up first but my little one is the same, very hard back teeth
    Needles went grand she has learned a high pitched scream that frightened the life of me!

Oh no that's upsetting lashes! Had our first lesson yesterday and it was great. He got on well and only whimpered a bit in the changing room at the end (the others were screaming the place down-hot water bottle was a great trick in the towel). The added benefit is that he slept 11hrs 30 last night!!!

Great stuff on the swimming Mirrorwall. Can't wait to go. Sleep a bit crap at the moment. Waking twice but at least she goes straight back down after a feed.
    Lashes had a couple of stitches but nothing compared to my episiotomy the first time. Have the needles soon too. Not looking forward to them.

As bobskii said the thoughts are worse than actually getting them.and so far still no temperature etc.
    What did ye actually do during the class mirror? We brought her a few weeks ago and she really enjoyed it, it was fairly packed tho at the wekend,so hope to go one of the weekdays next week
    We need a new house! Landlrd is selling. Not looking forward to this,where the hack do you start?!

Lashes28 wrote: »
    As bobskii said the thoughts are worse than actually getting them.and so far still no temperature etc.
    What did ye actually do during the class mirror? We brought her a few weeks ago and she really enjoyed it, it was fairly packed tho at the wekend,so hope to go one of the weekdays next week
    We need a new house! Landlrd is selling. Not looking forward to this,where the hack do you start?!

Oh no that sucks on the house! I was terrified ours would in January but thank god he's holding off. We just need a year and we'll have the deposit for our own.

It was great actually. I'll do a run down-most of it you can easily replicate it was just great to have instruction

1. How to get into the pool.
    Lie the baby carefully on the ground, feet to the edge of the pool. Keeping your hand on them if they are a wriggler, sit yourself beside them and hop in. Then lift them from the edge into your arms

2. Safety position
    This is baby facing forward not at you, snuggled under your left arm with the right arm under their bum if needs be. Sway from side to side like you would when winding and keep their body in the water to the shoulders so they don't get cold. Careful not to splash face.

3. Baby held out in front of you with your hands under their arms facing you. There are two moves with this, sway him side to side rather than you swaying like in 2. Or bring him forward and back through the water so he gets used to the movement on his chest and back

4. Hickory dickory dock. Walk in a circle with baby in same position as 3 swaying him side while singing the rhyme. When the clock strikes stand and lift him out of the water then bring him back down on the next line. Mine loved this one!

5. Front facing 'crawl'. Put your two hands together under babies chin with him lying on his stomach. Thumbs in a v under his neck, palms and fingers spread out under his chest. Use the hands to support his head out of the water and let the rest of his body in. Walk backwards pulling him along through the water. I got water on his face doing this but he was ok with it

Oh I forgot one. Getting him used to water on his face:
    Say 'name', ready, go, then cup a handful of water and drop it on their face. Be sure to run your hand down their cheeks so they know you are still there

6. Pools edge. Sit the baby up on the edge of the pool legs dangling. Say ready, steady (start pulling them) go and drag them into the water into the front crawl position. Then give them a big cuddle.

7. Humpy dumpty: as per 6 but 'fall' into the pool

8. 'Backstroke' put baby in safety position but with his head high up beside your ear. Lie back into the water keeping his head out of it. If you have a pool noodle put it around your back. You can either walk yourself backwards or kick along (I swam. Easy enough, particularly with a noodle).

Finally getting out. Same as getting in, in reverse. A bit harder if baby is a roller so be very careful that they are feet to the edge of the pool so that even if they are rolling they'll go parallel to the water not into it!

I had the car seat by the pools edge, much easier and safer than me carrying him on corridors. Found a tip online, put a big towel in the car seat with a hot water bottle underneath so that they are warmed as soon as they get out into the cold. I brought two towels for him. So wrapped him immediately in car seat while leaving pool. Unwrap, strip and to the showers with me (leave second big towel wrapped in bottle). Back to car seat, rub down with the the damp towel then wrap in the other big dry towel right up around his head. He was snug as a bug while I got dressed at speed and I wasn't dripping on him as I dressed him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

Anyone else feel hormonal at the 3.5 month mark. I had a funny couple of days during the week, feeling back to myself again today thankfully.
    I'm guessing I'll be like this on and off until I stop breastfeeding.

HazelBee wrote: »
    Anyone else feel hormonal at the 3.5 month mark. I had a funny couple of days during the week, feeling back to myself again today thankfully.

Yes! I had a full on tears for souvenirs session on Tuesday night and I'm here bawling at the TV by myself! Though it could just be that I'm on a (horribly) heavy Time of the month

Aw Mirrorwall! I don't have mine back yet but I'm starting to wean this week. Hopefully that will put things back in order soon.

HazelBee wrote: »
    I definitely get the hormonal dip every few weeks and I am breastfeeding too. Are you weaning completely this week?

That's the plan. I've been cutting down over the last few weeks so i don't think it will be too much longer. I was combination feeding anyway so she is used to her bottle as well. 16 weeks is a lot longer then I thought I'd be able for before she was born. I learned a lot from the whole thing anyway and I'll be better prepared next time. I'm definitely investing in an electric pump. The manual one is a pain!! :)

• Advertisement

Fair play 16 weeks is great. I did the same on my first. Think I will do close to 6 months on this one. Will be 18 weeks next week so only six weeks to 24 weeks. I have an electric pump and hardly use it. she gets a formula bottle at bed time and I feed her the rest of the time. I thought I would pump more but just not bothered. Great when they take a bottle, best of both worlds.

still not taking a bottle here., still trying but she takes it when she feels like it which isn't very often.

That's what I'd love to do next time fall. She wasn't putting on enough weight at the start and I couldn't keep her fed so I supplemented after every feed, and has been every second feed recently. The problem with that is she's gotten used to her bottle now so I've been pumping her feeds this week. It was all so new though, I'll have a better idea of how things work next time!

It is such a learning curve. I learnt so much on my first too. For the first six weeks she was stuck to me. I just fed her whenever she wanted. This kept her happy and meant I had a great supply. No she goes the few hours between feeds and usually only wakes once at night.
    Bobskii maybe just go straight to a cup at this stage? At least it's not too long til she is on solids.

I think I'm gonna have to fall,we have organised to go to a concert the end of June so she better start playing ball by then!!

That tough Bobskii. Think we are going to move her to her own room in the next few weeks. Any one else doing it yet? She is just about too big for the crib.

I might have to fall, just viewed a house and the master would be tight squeeze for a crib! Most mornings she wakes up with her toes hanging out the side anyways. We have fab monitors so hopefully it will go smoothly!

Thanks for the info on swimming mirror

Rough night last night awake on and off from three,just wish we had something to show for teething!,

Same here with the teething. Crap few nights. Feel so sorry for her though, she is in so much pain.
    The monitors are a great comfort and we are just finishing painting her room. Pink fest :-)

contemplating her own room her too, I don't see the point in setting up the cot in my room cos I'd have to take it down again to set it up in her own room!will see I don't think momma bear is ready yet :P

• Advertisement

She seems to be getting very little relief from anything! Calgel from the north doesn't even seem to be helping. It's horribl to see them in pain.

Oh bobskii on my son he was in our room/ bed for years! It's only because she will actually have to go into another room that she will.

She's finally getting great craic out of her play mat now that she's found her hands. We got ages out of it today and she even napped on it!

How's anyone with dogs getting on? One of ours loves her and the other is petrified!coaxing him with her giving treats to them seems to be helping tho x

Advertisement