Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

So between baby looking for breast less and less (he was always combination fed) and him biting me every time I did offer it, our breastfeeding journey is at an end! I'm not sad about it, he loves his bottle anyway and it felt like it was time.

Anyone have experience of how long it usually takes for the milk to dry up? I feel like Dolly Parton at the moment... I hand expressed a bit in the shower this morning to relieve the pressure but I haven't fed or pumped in two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Dolbert wrote: »
    So between baby looking for breast less and less (he was always combination fed) and him biting me every time I did offer it, our breastfeeding journey is at an end! I'm not sad about it, he loves his bottle anyway and it felt like it was time.

Anyone have experience of how long it usually takes for the milk to dry up? I feel like Dolly Parton at the moment... I hand expressed a bit in the shower this morning to relieve the pressure but I haven't fed or pumped in two days.

Congratulations on breastfeeding this long! My guy gave up long ago. Sounds random but buy a cabbage and put the outside leaves in your bra. Wear them constantly and even sleep with them in the bra! Change the leaves every so often. My milk dried up after 2 days of this. No pain at all! I thought it was an old wives tale but it worked a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Cabbage leaves! I forgot about this, thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Dolbert wrote: »
    Cabbage leaves! I forgot about this, thanks a million

No worries! Hope it works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

good to know this!not that I'll b need in it for a while . The boob monster still refuses milk from a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My mum raved about cabbage leaves but tbh I'm pretty sure my milk never came in (I bottle fed), no pain, no leakage! Felt a little heavy that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

My lads were rock hard and I went through loads of booby pads,they leaked tho when I was pregnant too .Over excited or what?!?

We r down to one nap a day .Exhausted is not the word she does a lot of moaning at night but it could be a leap. And I now cannot eat in front of her without her loosing the plot for some. Proper tears too,she's a feisty one lol

I hear ya lashes . If it's not the dogs watch in me it's her!!she freaks out when she sees her dinner coming!I was having a sneaky bar of chocolate earlier with a cuppa and she was flat out shouting at me for some,I won't be long losing weight if she gets her way :D

Still no luck with the bottle bobskii?? We have such stubborn girls,who would have guessed lol

She's very food orientated. I try to feed her when we eat and give her a spoon to keep her happy when she's finished .We wer in the fridge the other day and she pulled a jar of her food out. Clever girl.
    I've dropped one of her bottles too so we are down to 4 a day. I had to, because feeding every three hours and then spoon for breakfast dinner and tea was too much, doing it the last few days and she seems good! Fingers crossed we don't have a michelin baby just yet lol

nope think she actually laughed at me today when she seen me produce it again . think she gets her stubbornness and her boldness from her dad :P She has started to get am interest on food now and will shove anything into her mouth that I give her.

• Advertisement

My lad doesn't yell for it yet unless I'm eating and hasn't yelled when the foods ran out yet so we're doing ok. I'm on 4 8oz bottles a day too lashes, BLW breakfast/tea and purée lunch for the reflux

little miss bossy will shout if her food runs out before shes full!

bobskii wrote: »
    little miss bossy will shout if her food runs out before shes full!

Love it! T is only getting more vocal now, he is becoming more inclined to yell rather than coo

she had a whole q of people entertained today while I was doing my shopping. They are starting to notice everything now . She had can good aul natter with my mum earlier maw for great listening!

she had a whole q of people entertained today while I was doing my shopping. They are starting to notice everything now . She had can good aul natter with my mum earlier maw for great listening!

Oh he definitely knows to smile so peopl will pay attention, it's hilarious. He just woke up screaming the place down-hasn't done that in months. Myself and the OH didn't know what to do lol. Seems to have been a combination of a bit of wind and teeth. Normally the wind goes down at night so I assume the teeth twinged and woke him. He was so upset :(

funny my doll done the same tonight . except I was watching TV and didn't hear her while oh was up in bed trying to figure out what the problem was . her problem was booby lady was missing In action.

funny my doll done the same tonight . except I was watching TV and didn't hear her while oh was up in bed trying to figure out what the problem was . her problem was booby lady was missing In action.

Rofl. I didn't hear him initially coz I was downstairs but man he yelled!! Dead to the world again after a cuddle, calm and some dentinox

This is a really random question girls but do you change their sleep suit/PJ's every night? Normally my lad has two changes, at night into his sleep suit with new vest and after breakfast out of his sleep suit into his outfit (the odd time he'll stay in the sleep suit eg if travelling).

We're going on holidays for a week and I just realised he only has 6 sleep suits so I'm gonna run out of clean ones. Now id obviously change them if they were dirty but I'm starting to question if I'm nuts changing them daily when they aren't? I mean I don't change my own PJ's daily!

I usually got through a few checks,if it's been really warm during the night or if in the morning she's in her walker,we change every night, if not every second night.

I would worry about it should be fine a bit of dirt on a baby fro never harmed anyone

depends if she ends up wearing her breakfast to be honest . I had been doing that changing every day . But then like you I said what's the point if they aren't dirty . so usually every second day now .sone days she'll have her breakfast all over her so needs must!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Hi all. Back from hols. My god how **** is the weather. Baba had a ball. Loved the pool. If you are going somewhere hot they won't even need a sleep suit/ baby gro Mirrorwall. She was in her vest even with air con. Second tooth almost through. Solids coming along and nearly weaned off the boob. Down to two feeds, one night and one day. Can someone post their bottle and food routine so I can get an idea of the bottle timing. Feel like I am starting all over again.

Ah fall that's great that she had a ball, I'm so jealous of ye.

For me I definitely feel like I'm starting again with feeding, I'm taking it day by day tbh today went

7am 7 ounces bottle
    10am porridge
    1 pm 7 ounce bottle
    2.30 pasta bake mums own half jar
    4pm 7ounce
    6 ish tried to give her fruit but she wasn't interested we were out for dinner so had bits of carrot instead
    8 7 ounce bottle and bed

I'm trying to cut out the bottles Tbh as she's not finishing them but I'm nervous to throw her out of sync too much. Even tho that's probably a stupid worry,we Will get there eventually

What way do you do it?

You are a star Lashes. That's exactly what I was looking for. Because I was breast feeding it felt like every day was different and she wakes at two and five/ six at night for a feed so I am hoping to have a clearer picture once she is fully on bottles.

Well that's coming from a feeding monster who would feed every three hours on hungrier food, she's generally enjoying her solids so I think dropping a bottle in the next week of two should be ok so it will be three solids and three bottles .

We have had a few unsettled nights but I'm putting it down to leaps. I turn her on her other side and she snores again, its just getting back to sleep then is hard.

it would be depressing coming back to that weather fall!!can't help you on the bottle routine cos boob monster refuses it still . her dad got her to sleep today so boob so we're getting somewhere.

She is doing great. Maybe reduce the bottles in the middle of the day by an ounce to see how it effects her. The reduction in milk might see her waking at night. They say milk is the most important thing before the age of one.

We're in Wexford so not that sunny rofl!

My routine Fall is

8am 8oz bottle followed be BLW eg toast fingers, porridge fingers, fruit etc

(He has a long usually 1.5-2hr nap between here)

12 noon 8oz bottle

2pm Purée dinner so usually some veg either with fruit in it or after it as a separate purée

4pm 8oz bottle

5-6pm BLW tea time. Finger veg from our dinner/tea. So far he's had sweet potato wedges, slices of steamed apple, steamed broccoli (oh man the mess), carrot batons, steamed potato wedges, chicken chunk

730/8pm 8oz bottle

Initially he started dropping ounces but I think he's growing again (eeeeek-we're already in some 9-12 clothes!) so he's back draining them-no hope of dropping any of those yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Our routine for almost 6 month old

8am 8oz bottle
    9am porridge which she may or may not eat
    12pm 8oz bottle
    1pm puree veg (usually 2 ice cube sizes of my own purees)
    4pm 8oz bottle
    8pm 8oz bottle and bed.

She takes about 30oz a day. Think she prefers her bottles to solids. We give finger food about 7pm with our dinner but she wouldn't eat too much.

Eta bottles are religiously every 4 hours during the day. Not ready to drop to 3 yet. I expect that to be around 7 months. If I were you fall I would offer every 4 hours and you will get into a rhythm and see how much she takes. Always offer solids after bottle so main nutrition coming from milk. Keep offering for next few days until she finds her groove. I would prefer to offer too much for next wee while rather than let her go hungry.

Thanks everyone. I am slowly starting to remember what I did with number one. She is having a bottle around half seven/ eight. Porridge around ten. Breast fed at around half eleven. Lunch around two ( veg of some sort). Bottle at half three and then 745 bottle down for eight. She wakes around three for a breast feed. Hoping to introduce something for tea. Mirrorwall any tips on the blw veg and toast? Would love to introduce those. She has been in six to nine months since she was five months old so thriving.
    Forgot to ask Lashes how are you keeping?

• Advertisement

fall wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I am slowly starting to remember what I did with number one. She is having a bottle around half seven/ eight. Porridge around ten. Breast fed at around half eleven. Lunch around two ( veg of some sort). Bottle at half three and then 745 bottle down for eight. She wakes around three for a breast feed. Hoping to introduce something for tea. Mirrorwall any tips on the blw veg and toast? Would love to introduce those. She has been in six to nine months since she was five months old so thriving.
    Forgot to ask Lashes how are you keeping?

Watch some child first aid and don't be afraid if they gag. It's important to know the difference between gagging and choking. We've had two incidents of gagging which he cleared himself (while mammy watched white knuckles ready to jump in lol) and one where I needed to bang him on the back. These were all in the first 10 days.

Apart from that it's just being prepared for mess :) The first few days I would put stuff on the tray and let him mess with it. Then if needed I'd put it into his hand (not his mouth-they have to learn that) and let him get it towards his mouth. He'll take huge mouthful initially but it all falls back out! I'm doing it in combo because it's important for the reflux that he gets something into him whereas with the BLW it's playing and chewing and learning with the food but he doesn't swallow lots except juice from gnawing on it!

Advertisement