Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England WC Squad

• 12-05-2014 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

For all the anti-England bluff on here, this will still be of interest to many of us who follow Prem teams, so let's have at it.

Cole and Carrick already confirmed as not included, and I think Walker out also, so...

GK: Hart, Forster, Ruddy
    DEF: Johnson, Jones, Smalling, Jagielka, Cahill, Stones, Shaw, Baines
    MID: Gerrard, Wilshere, Cleverley, Lampard, Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Milner
    ATT: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert

They are going to win FOOK ALL. As poor a squad as they have ever had.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd be very surprised to see Cleverley on the plane to Brazil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mars Bar wrote: »
    He's more likely to be an air steward on the ****ing thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What I reckon :
    DEF: Johnson, Flanagan, Jones, Jagielka, Cahill, Caulker, Shaw, Baines
    MID: Gerrard, Wilshere, Barkley, Lampard, Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Ox-Lade C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Smalling instead of Flanagan I'd say Gav and I don't think they'll bring Caulker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Mars Bar wrote: »

I wouldn't pick him! But I think Hodge will.
    I'd bring Barkley for sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wasn't Cleverly ruled out last night along with Carrick? Well those were the rumours anyway.

Johner wrote: »
    Smalling instead of Flanagan I'd say Gav and I don't think they'll bring Caulker.

Could be, if I was Flanagan and I missed out I'd probably be disappointed, hes played better then Glen J.

Caulker is a bit hit or miss, signs point to him not being brought alright.

I actually had Andy Carroll in at one stage, I forgot Lambert :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

I think Smalling for Caulker, Milner for Lampard and Carroll for Lambert. Starting 11 kind of picks itself.

Hart, Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Gerrard, Henderson, Ox, Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cleverley? Holy moly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think Gibbs is very unfortunate to not be in the running. I'd rate him ahead of Flanagan for sure.

• Advertisement

Cleverley isn't in it.

I think the squad will be,

GK: Hart, Forster, Foster
    DEF: Johnson, Smalling, Jones, Jagielka, Cahill, Shaw, Baines
    MID: Gerrard, Wilshere, Barkley, Lampard, Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Ox, Milner.

Maybe another centre half instead of one of the mids but not sure who.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Apparently Ruddy's been dropped to the reserves as well.

My Pick:
    Hart Forster Ruddy
    Johnson Flanagan Jagielka Cahill Jones Baines Shaw Caulker
    Gerrard Henderson Milner Ox Lallana Sterling Wilshere Barkley
    Rooney Lambert Sturridge Wellbeck

Flanagan is on the standby list anyway.

No Liverpool players Roy cheers

Flanagan is on the standby list anyway.

Apparently this is the standby list.

Andy Carroll (West Ham)
    John Stones (Everton)
    John Ruddy (Norwich)
    Jermain Defoe (Toronto)
    Michael Carrick (Man Utd)
    Tom Cleverley (Man Utd)
    John Flanagan (Liverpool)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ruddy should be going.

Hart, Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Gerrard, Henderson, Ox, Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge.

I think you have to find room for Wilshere, to be fair. Pushing Ox and Sterling onto the wings leaves you will little creativity in the middle, so Rooney will end up dropping in and doing that job. I'd play Stevie holding, Hendo narrow right and Wilshere narrow left in front of him, with Rooney and Sterling either side of Sturridge in the middle. Johnson and Baines should give enough width in attack, and Hendo & Wilshere protect them...

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ruddy should be going.

So should Flanagan. Especially after Roy's 'build for the future talk about Shaw.

So should Flanagan. Especially after Roy's 'build for the future talk about Shaw.

Not the same thing. Flanagan is not someone I think they would be looking at as a potential first choice England player for the next decade...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Two completely different talents.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Johnson and Baines should give enough width in attack, and Hendo & Wilshere protect them...

Johnson is going to be a huge weak link in the back line if he starts.

Apparently this is the standby list.

John Stones (Everton)
    John Ruddy (Norwich)
    Tom Cleverley (Man Utd)

So of my original list, bring in David Marshall, Caulker and Ox?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I think the fact that they are 'weaker' than previous squads will be a huge advantage. That weight of expectations will be gone before they ever get on the plane, I'd fancy them for quarter finals minimum.

Johnson is going to be a huge weak link in the back line if he starts.

Yes, but in the absence of Walker, he's the best option. Jones and Smalling are better defenders, but not good in attack.

I think you have to find room for Wilshere, to be fair. Pushing Ox and Sterling onto the wings leaves you will little creativity in the middle, so Rooney will end up dropping in and doing that job. I'd play Stevie holding, Hendo narrow right and Wilshere narrow left in front of him, with Rooney and Sterling either side of Sturridge in the middle. Johnson and Baines should give enough width in attack, and Hendo & Wilshere protect them...

That's what I was thinking, with Rooney playing in the hole behind Sturridge. I think that modified 4-4-2 suits England best tbh. Either way I don't think the line up will be good enough to get out of their group anyway.

I think the fact that they are 'weaker' than previous squads will be a huge advantage. That weight of expectations will be gone before they ever get on the plane, I'd fancy them for quarter finals minimum.

I think a lack of quality, no experience at the latter stages of a major tourno and the conditions will see them lose to both Italy and Uruguay and go home early...

Not the same thing. Flanagan is not someone I think they would be looking at as a potential first choice England player for the next decade...
    glued wrote: »
    Two completely different talents.

True, but at this current time, there is no standout for that position, and given Flanagans season I think he is the best option with Johnson currently. Smalling is a future CB, and I really don't rate Jones at all. Can't see Walker stepping up to a reliable starter either. Richards is the only one I could see the potential in, but given the amount of injuries he's suffered over the past 2 years, he is as far from consideration as possible at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

GK: Hart, Forster, Foster
    DEF: Johnson, Jones, Smalling, Jagielka, Cahill, Caulker , Shaw, Baines
    MID: Gerrard, Wilshere, Barkley, Oxlade Chamberlain, Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Milner

Starting XI
    Hart, Johnson, Baines, Cahill, Jagielka, Gerrard, Henderson, Barkley, Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    I think Gibbs is very unfortunate to not be in the running. I'd rate him ahead of Flanagan for sure.

I'd be inclined to play Flanagan at RB, hes a better option then Johnson, Jones or Smalling for my money.

Johnson hasnt exactly been great this year form the 8-10 games I've watched him but its not a broad enough base to drop him completly.

Hodgson will probably play it safe and not bring to many young players and Flanagan may not get a call.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

David Marshall is Scottish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How on earth should Flanagan be going? Baines and Shaw are miles ahead of him.

eagle eye wrote: »

RB option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Yes, but in the absence of Walker, he's the best option. Jones and Smalling are better defenders, but not good in attack.

You've lost me, the position is Right Back, but you'd sacrifice two better defenders over an allegedly better attacker?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

David Marshall, the SCOTTISH keeper?

Yeah, I'd say he'll be on the plane alright........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

DM-ICE wrote: »
    David Marshall is Scottish
    Maybe he's the pilot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Caulker should be going ahead of Smalling or Jones though the other 2 do can do a job at RB & CM in Jones's case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

I'd take Flanagan. Not as if Hodgson plays an expansive attacking game. He needs defensive solidity and Flanagan is a superior defender than Johnson

RB option.
    What would he be considered as a right back option? How many times has he played there?

You've lost me, the position is Right Back, but you'd sacrifice two better defenders over an allegedly better attacker?

From my picks I'd probably drop Caulker for Smalling as back up and Flanagan as back up to Johnson.

Starting XI will probably be

Hart
    Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines
    Gerrard Henderson
    Sterling Rooney Llana
    Sturridge

Maybe Wilshire for Henderson, Barkley I think wont be dropped that far back and Llana ont he left is up for debate with the Ox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

GavRedKing wrote: »
    From my picks I'd probably drop Caulker for Smalling as back up and Flanagan as back up to Johnson.

Hart
    Gerrard Henderson
    Sterling Rooney Llana
    Sturridge

Maybe Wilshire for Henderson, Barkley I think wont be dropped that far back and Llana ont he left is up for debate with the Ox.

Henderson has to be a certainty after his form this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

For all the anti-England bluff on here, this will still be of interest to many of us who follow Prem teams, so let's have at it.

Cole and Carrick already confirmed as not included, and I think Walker out also, so...

DEF: Johnson, Jones, Smalling, Jagielka, Cahill, Stones, Shaw, Baines
    MID: Gerrard, Wilshere, Cleverley, Lampard, Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Milner

They are going to win FOOK ALL. As poor a squad as they have ever had.

Unless we win it (which we won't, of course) we'll win "FOOK ALL". You're not exactly sticking your neck out there.

Worst World Cup squad ever? Maybe. Four years ago we took Steven Warnock, Emile Heskey, Rob Green, Aaron Lennon, Peter Crouch, SWP, Michael Dawson and a one legged Ledley King. I don't think many of them would go today.

Hart
    Gerrard Henderson
    Sterling Rooney Llana
    Sturridge

Completely agree with this. Add in the option when they are down and making no headway against Uruguay & Italy to bring on Caroll and play West Ham style hoping for a knock down to Sturridge. Great Plan B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

That would be my team too.

slingerz wrote: »
    Henderson has to be a certainty after his form this season

True, I think a Liverpool pivot of Gerrard and Henderson would be the best combination but they both need to be very disciplined, bombing on from Henderson will leave Gerrard exposed agaisnt the better teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Think he'll line up with Gerrard, Henderson, and Wilshire in midfield, with Rooney up top, Sturridge and Sterling out wide. 4-3-3.

Only one I'd see changing, is perhaps Lallana for Wilshire, but Hodgson seems to really value him.

I'd be surprised to see something markedly different from the above, tbh.

eagle eye wrote: »

He's a RB by trade. He's playing out of position really at LB because Enrique has been injured all season.

True, I think a Liverpool pivot of Gerrard and Henderson would be the best combination but they both need to be very disciplined, bombing on from Henderson will leave Gerrard exposed agaisnt the better teams.

It will be tough for Gerrard regardless as that is not his position. But there is absolutley no one else to play that position for England. I'd expect Henderson to play tight with Gerrard otherwise they will be in alot of trouble.

He's a RB by trade. He's playing out of position really at LB because Enrique has been injured all season.
    So basically you are picking a player for right back that you have never seen play there?

I'd pick Jenkinson or Clyne before somebody I have never seen play a position in the Premier League.

I'd have Clyne over Flanagan anyway for the standby list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement