Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England WC Squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

eagle eye wrote: »
    So basically you are picking a player for right back that you have never seen play there?

I'd pick Jenkinson or Clyne before somebody I have never seen play a position in the Premier League.

This isn't his first season playing in the PL, though. He has plenty of games as a RB.

I don't think he should go to the WC though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Knex. wrote: »
    Think he'll line up with Gerrard, Henderson, and Wilshire in midfield, with Rooney up top, Sturridge and Sterling out wide. 4-3-3.

Only one I'd see changing, is perhaps Lallana for Wilshire, but Hodgson seems to really value him.

I'd be surprised to see something markedly different from the above, tbh.

That 4-3-3 wouldnt be a bad call, plenty of mobility and pace in the front 5 if Gerrard can sit a little deeper and collect from the CB's & FB's.
    It will be tough for Gerrard regardless as that is not his position. But there is absolutley no one else to play that position for England. I'd expect Henderson to play tight with Gerrard otherwise they will be in alot of trouble.

Ya, worse case scenario is for England to have Lamps and Gerrard on the pitch together, theyed be crucified by a team that moves the ball quickly around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ross Barkely is in! :)

So is Lampard :(

Flanno on standy with John Stones, Carrick on standby as well. Cleverly and Carroll and DeFoe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

We have Azpilicueta at LB for a large part of this season and hes very likely to start at RB for Spain in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Forster
    Foster
    Hart

Baines
    Cahill
    Jagielka
    Johnson
    Jones
    Shaw
    Smalling

Barkley
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Lallana
    Lampard
    Milner
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Sterling
    Wilshere

Lambert
    Rooney
    Sturridge
    Welbeck.

Hope we get no defensive injuries....

Only 7 defenders, could be risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Full Squad:

GK: Joe Hart (Manchester City)
    Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion)
    Fraser Forster (Celtic)

DF: Leighton Baines (Everton)
    Gary Cahill (Chelsea)
    Phil Jagielka (Everton)
    Glen Johnson (Liverpool)
    Phil Jones (Man Utd)
    Luke Shaw (Southampton)
    Chris Smalling (Man Utd)

MF: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) - captain
    Ross Barkley (Everton)
    Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)
    Adam Lallana (Southampton)
    Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
    James Milner (Manchester City)
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
    Raheem Sterling (Liverpool)
    Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

FW: Rickie Lambert (Southampton)
    Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
    Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool)
    Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

STANDBY: Michael Carrick (Manchester United)
    Andy Carroll (West Ham United)
    Tom Cleverley (Manchester United)
    Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC)
    Jon Flanagan (Liverpool)
    John Ruddy (Norwich City)
    John Stones (Everton)

They better hope they don't have many injuries..

Only four strikers but I guess you could push Sterling into that role in an emergency (9 goals this season)

My starting 11 and yes NO Rooney (who'll be cooked in 10 mins).

Hart
    Johsnson Cahill Jagielka Baines
    Gerrard
    Hendo--Lallana
    Sterling----Sturridge---Welbeck

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »

Technically Jones & Smalling offer RB & CB cover. Think it's enough cover for 3 games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Drop Lampard and get another defender onto that squad, would be my reckoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Happy for Barkley, Sterling and Shaw, three young players getting their rewards for a great season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Johner wrote: »
    I'd have Clyne over Flanagan anyway for the standby list.

I'd have them both over Johnson

Absolute worst-case Milner can go right back which frees up Smalling/Jones to play centre-half.

I think any hopes England have of making any impact at all depend on having four defenders who don't pick up any injuries or suspensions between them.

Knex. wrote: »
    Drop Lampard and get another defender onto that squad, would be my reckoning.

That's what I thought would have happened. Don't see how Lampard will aid the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

mike65 wrote: »
    So is Lampard :(

You need some experience in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

4 Liverpool players none of which are defenders sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Happy Lambert is going. Deserves it. But Lampard? hmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So basically you are picking a player for right back that you have never seen play there?

I'd pick Jenkinson or Clyne before somebody I have never seen play a position in the Premier League.

He's played at RB for Liverpool before. Not that often as he's still young but he's played there. He's just filling in at LB as there is a need there but he's a better RB as that where he's played all his football through the age grades.

Hart
    --Johnson--Jagielka--Cahill--Baines
    ----Gerrard--Henderson--Wilshire--
    ----Sturridge--Rooney----Welbeck--

Starting X1? Defense is very weak

• Advertisement

Johnson????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Gareth Barry should be on standby list ahead of Cleverly

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Happy Lambert is going. Deserves it. But Lampard? hmmmm.

I've always been a big Lampard fan but think this is one tournament too many for him. That said, England had a big problem in 2012 with Parker and Gerrard having played almost every minute of every match because there were no other options. Lampard gives Hodgson the chance to take Gerrard off in matches if England are doing ok.

Johnson?

Unless you're implying he cant defend, in which case, you're right. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Really stones on standby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the squad is pretty spot-on. i'd only argue Barry should be in the squad to cover Gerrard.

it's a pity Hodgson will probably try to shoe-horn them into a system that won't work.

a team of:

Hart
    Johnson
    Jagielka
    Cahill
    Baines
    Gerrard

Henderson
    Lallana/Barkley
    Sterling
    Rooney
    Sturridge

should be all kinds of exciting. pace, power, goals.

but it won't be.

Hart
    --Johnson--Jagielka--Cahill--Baines
    ----Gerrard--Henderson--Wilshire--
    ----Sturridge--Rooney----Welbeck--

Starting X1? Defense is very weak

Welbeck won't start. Would expect to see Lallana, Sterling or even Milner in that spot. Definitely think Milner starts against Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

where is barry

If one of Jagielka or Cahill gets suspended/injured they're f*cked.
    Smalling or Jones as cover?!!! Yikes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Not a single ball winning midfielder in the squad, madness.
    The closest thing to defensice midfielders in the team are Jordan Henderson and Phil Jones.

• Advertisement

Bnb9wUYIIAAcWgR.jpg

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Gareth Barry should be on standby list ahead of Cleverly

He should be in the squad!

SlickRic wrote: »
    the squad is spot-on. i'd only argue Barry should be in the squad to cover Gerrard.

it's a pity Hodgson will probably try to shoe-horn them into a system that won't work.

a team of:

Hart
    Johnson
    Jagielka
    Cahill
    Baines
    Gerrard

Henderson
    Lallana/Barkley
    Sterling
    Rooney
    Sturridge

should be all kinds of exciting. pace, power, goals.

but it won't be.

That's way too attacking imo, Italy's midfield will sh!t all over that. Wilshire is a must-start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Johnson is very lucky to be going and I say that as a Liverpool fan. Has played with his head in the clouds for the past few months. That said Kyle Walker isn't any better and has played very little football recently.

Johnson?

Unless you're implying he cant defend, in which case, you're right. :pac:
    Forgot about Johnson but yeah.:D

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've always been a big Lampard fan but think this is one tournament too many for him. That said, England had a big problem in 2012 with Parker and Gerrard having played almost every minute of every match because there were no other options. Lampard gives Hodgson the chance to take Gerrard off in matches if England are doing ok.

If you're chasing a game you can bring on the likes of ox or barkley , if ya want to protect a lead then Carrick is probably better off going instead of Lampard. Lampard's time has been and gone for England. Cant see him having much impact on the pitch at all. Waste of a spot in my opinion.

manutd wrote: »
    where is barry

Away with ann to the shops

manutd wrote: »
    where is barry

Still tracking back for Germany's fourth in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Away with ann to the shops

Getting in the úla and milseán!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Lampard in that squad is a complete joke, especially when Barry doesn't even make the standby list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Johnson (as a Liverpool fan) has no business being on the plane, a daydreamer in defence.

Lampard has no business being on that plane other than for sentimental reasons. If he starts Roy will choke the team and give the press all the ammunition they need.

If Lallana played for a top 4 team he'd be straight into the side, much better player than Ox, on par with Wilshere who has been eclipsed by Ramsay at Arsenal. I'd start (back 4 picks itself, although more fool them for going with calamity johnson)

Gerrard
    Henderson
    Lallana

Sterling
    Rooney
    Sturridge

I'd have Rooney and Sturridge swapping positions, keep the defense guessing, Henderson tighter to Gerrard and Lallana further forward.

Wonder who the player is who's going to get injured before it even starts? There's always one!

Looking at that squad and working out possible starting 11's in my head and I actually think England might struggle to get out of the group stages, could be a very early ride home for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That defense is shaky. It's funny England's best central defense partnership in years and only one of them is going. I reckon Hodgson will regret not giving Terry a call up. I doubt Jagielka will stay fit for the entire tournament.

Lampard in that squad is a complete joke, especially when Barry doesn't even make the standby list.
    Lampard is clearly a back up for Gerard, fills that role perfectly as he is a similar type player and also a leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Seaneh wrote: »
    Looking at that squad and working out possible starting 11's in my head and I actually think England might struggle to get out of the group stages, could be a very early ride home for them.

I think Italy are guaranteed top. Other spot is between Uruguay and England, Uruguay aren't all that great except for striking options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That's way too attacking imo, Italy's midfield will sh!t all over that. Wilshire is a must-start.

Wilshere will make little difference in terms of ball-winning to Henderson, Lallana or Barkley.

also, it's the system Liverpool used for much of the season, with Sterling able to alternate from the wing to the tip of the diamond. it's attacking, but at least it sets out to impose yourself onto the other team.

IMO, England don't have the players to play in the style of a Manchester City or Bayern. But they do have the ability to play in the style of a Real Madrid, Liverpool or Everton. they have enough pace and power available to them that they can press, or sit and explode on the counter.

if Hodgson goes down the sterile possession route, the team is going to look very meh.

Lukker- wrote: »
    That defense is shaky. It's funny England's best central defense partnership in years and only one of them is going. I reckon Hodgson will regret not giving Terry a call up. I doubt Jagielka will stay fit for the entire tournament.
    This is an issue for sure. Terry is without doubt England's best defender. Its like a bad owner of a club sticking his nose in, the FA are behind Terry not being in the England squad not Hodgson I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Glen Johnson is absolutely blessed with the lack of English RB candidates. Blessed. It amazes me how he has been a first choice defender for so long, but then again you can only play what you have. Even still I'd probably have someone more solid defensively in else in there. I can see him costing England at some point, especially seeing as the defence isn't the strongest to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

People who are putting Lallana CM clearly haven't watched too much of him or Southampton this season. He's an attacking midfielder, not a centre-mid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement