Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5s V iPhone 5c

• 12-05-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

Quick question! I'm due a baby in a couple of months and for various reasons, mainly camera and FaceTime I want to get an iPhone. I've looked at the specs for both of these phones and they look almost identical from the specs. Is there something I am missing here? Why the disparity in price? Is it mainly down to the manky cover on the 5c? (Which surely can be covered up with a decent replacement anyway?) Seeing as I only really want the phone for browsing and to take lots of baby pics will the 5c be fine or should I pay the bit extra and if so, why? What is the main difference? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

From the Apple site: iPhone comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks a mill, have looked through that already and can't seem to notice any big difference between the two. Am I missing something? It seems to be the same phone bar a couple of little details :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Merkin wrote: »
    Thanks a mill, have looked through that already and can't seem to notice any big difference between the two. Am I missing something? It seems to be the same phone bar a couple of little details :confused:

5c is essentially an iPhone 5 in a new case. So it's internals are a generation back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

As whiterebel said the 5c is an iPhone 5 in a plastic housing (main difference between 5 and 5c is 5c supports all 4G freq instead of limited on 5).
    It looks like there not much difference between 5c and 5s but I would not buy the 5c (and looking at apple sales figures most people don't buy 5c). There's enough difference to choose the 5s; faster processor helped by an additional motion processor, touchID (fingerprint reader) slightly better camera aperture are the main ones and not having a plastic phone...

Edit. After reading your question a bit better, the iPhone 5c is nearly as good for what you want from it (photos and browsing) as the 5s.
    The resale value if you want to upgrade in the future would be better for the 5s but if that's not a consideration...
    If you intend to take videos as well as photos with the phone you might want choose a 32GB model as the HD videos on the iPhone tend to fill up the memory quickly. You can always transfer them to a pc but with 32GB you won't have to do that as often...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

if you're buying new go for the 5S.
    I changed mine from the 5 recently and treated myself to the 5S.
    Camera is definitely better on it than the 5/5c so you're definitely better off going for that.

• Advertisement

Oooh thanks for that, the quality of the camera on it is pretty important so if it's significantly better then it's worth going for I guess. I suppose too that if Apple fans have steered away from the 5c it is usually with pretty good reason isn't it? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'd say it's more wanting the latest and greatest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The camera being better in the 5s does not mean that the camera on the 5 is bad.

Surely it's the performance and processor that's the important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I always buy electronic assuming Ill be using it in 3 years( I have had phones for 3 years.). With the iphone5s it will be working grand in 3 years, where as the 5c will probably be sluggish since it will be a year older than the 5S.

The price difference isnt huge, but I imagine there will be a better resale value in the 5S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

murpho999 wrote: »
    The camera being better in the 5s does not mean that the camera on the 5 is bad.

Surely it's the performance and processor that's the important thing

And that wonderful slo-mo camera is the dogs:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dodzy wrote: »
    And that wonderful slo-mo camera is the dogs:cool:

That is software though and doesn't make the camera better and I really can't imagine anybody upgrading from the 5 just for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Build quality on the 5c isnt great, feels a bit cheaper and at least on mine, the screen 'pops' a little on harder presses, so the 5S is likely to outlast the 5C, especially when the baby become a toddler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Danbo! wrote: »
    Build quality on the 5c isnt great, feels a bit cheaper and at least on mine, the screen 'pops' a little on harder presses, so the 5S is likely to outlast the 5C, especially when the baby become a toddler

I think the screen issue could be something you can get replaced under warranty. I had an issue where pressing on my screen made it click (iPhone 5) and got it replaced twice before I was satisfied. If it annoys you, get it replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

That is software though and doesn't make the camera better and I really can't imagine anybody upgrading from the 5 just for that.

This is a actually hardware feature of the 5s as has 120fps capture

Ah I know it's not a reason to upgrade from a 5, but the OP is starting fresh and not looking for reasons to upgrade. In her position, I'd bite the bullet for the flagship as there are reasons enough to do so. The camera slomo is a bit gimmicky, but it's great craic:D

Or just wait for the 6. It's all about available funds as usual.

Thanks Dodzy. Due in July so not sure when the 6 is out? In any event, it's not about having the latest model, it's about having a decent i device that I can use for FaceTime and a good camera when bubs arrives! If the 5s is perfectly good for that then I think I'll bite the bullet as the consensus on the 5c isn't that positive really!

Thanks Dodzy. Due in July so not sure when the 6 is out?
    I'd wager on a sept 2014 release. So you'll most likely purchase well before that. Best of luck with the new arrival ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Give me an android phone anyday before an iOS. I have a 5 c for 3 months now and massively underwhelmed.

Samsung s4/5 anyday. Would love to go back but it's a work phone.

Give me an android phone anyday before an iOS. I have a 5 c for 3 months now and massively underwhelmed.

Samsung s4/5 anyday. Would love to go back but it's a work phone.

Seems you took a wrong turn somewhere

Thanks Dodzy :)

I love the Samsung Galaxy too and had one before dropping it down the toilet :( I want to go with an iPhone because of Facetime, most friends and family back in Ireland have Apple devices so it's for convenience really. And because we got an iPad last year which I think is the best device ever, totally sealed my move to the dark side!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Thanks Dodzy :)

I love the Samsung Galaxy too and had one before dropping it down the toilet :( I want to go with an iPhone because of Facetime, most friends and family back in Ireland have Apple devices so it's for convenience really. And because we got an iPad last year which I think is the best device ever, totally sealed my move to the dark side!! :)

Make sure you purchase Apple Care+ for €99 to cover accidental damage for 2 years in case you drop your phone down the toilet again.

Advertisement