Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC 1 today @ 3 o clock...Chelsea flower show

• 12-05-2014 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

today @ 3 o clock BBC 1 Alan Titchmarch looks at
    preparations 4 chelsea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

We got a nice,tantalising glimpse of how Alan's garden is getting on so far.Can't wait to see the finished article.I love the moss-laden drystone wall already,the inspiration for which coming from his native Yorkshire no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I have my ticket ready...heading over for the 21st June :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Andip wrote: »
    I have my ticket ready...heading over for the 21st June :D

Mad jealous. Hope you have good weather. I went to the one at Hampton Ct Palace last year & had to leave early coz of the heat. :(

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Mad jealous. Hope you have good weather. I went to the one at Hampton Ct Palace last year & had to leave early coz of the heat. :(

I'm fortunate in that I do either Hampton or Chelsea every year.....the river trip down to Hampton is particularly nice, but the show gardens at Chelsea are very special.

The other benefit of Chelsea is lunch at Gordon Ramsays beforehand :P.....

Hampton tickets are very available & its fairly easy to get to - I'd advise anyone with an interest to book early cheap flights and give it a look

Andip wrote: »
    I'm fortunate in that I do either Hampton or Chelsea every year.....the river trip down to Hampton is particularly nice, but the show gardens at Chelsea are very special.

The other benefit of Chelsea is lunch at Gordon Ramsays beforehand :P.....

Hampton tickets are very available & its fairly easy to get to - I'd advise anyone with an interest to book early cheap flights and give it a look

You lucky so and so.

I did plan on taking the boat trip back down the Thames to London, but they were not operating that evening, due to the tides or something like that. Was mega disappointed. Had to queue for over an hour, for the train back to London instead. :mad:

What are the show gardens at Chelsea like, when it comes to actually getting to see them? I get mega irritated at gardens shows, when there is a crowd of people 10 deep at each show garden and you have to barge your way in, to get even the tiniest glimpse of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The trick with chelsea is to go off peak. A weekday, early morning if possible. I try to get there just before the gates open. It fills up like crazy otherwise.

Haven't been in a few years now, i try to go someplace every year, saw keukenhof last year, which was great. Small baby this year, so will give it a miss, maybe back to chelsea next year. :)

I remember my very first trip to chelsea. Must be a decade ago now, we didn't realise Pimms was alcoholic until after my third one. That was a fun day.

Ha ha...last year at Hampton Ct, copious amounts of Pimms was the only thing between me making back to the hotel ok & being hospitalized for dehydration/heat stroke. :P

I try to make these events at off peak too. I was just wondering if a mega event such as Chelsea, even has an off peak time, or if the hordes of the world are there from dawn to dusk, as it is so famous and well attended.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You lucky so and so.

I did plan on taking the boat trip back down the Thames to London, but they were not operating that evening, due to the tides or something like that. Was mega disappointed. Had to queue for over an hour, for the train back to London instead. :mad:

What are the show gardens at Chelsea like, when it comes to actually getting to see them? I get mega irritated at gardens shows, when there is a crowd of people 10 deep at each show garden and you have to barge your way in, to get even the tiniest glimpse of anything.

There are so many show gardens at Chelsea that even with the biggest of crowds, I've been able to get right to them. Its such a massive (sometimes too big) show that there's plenty of room for everyone.

Wednesdays are always a good day......

Advertisement