Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

!!! Warning to TV Licence Inspectors !!!

• 12-05-2014 3:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭

Says on the Radio that they will now come to visit us on the Weekends ...
    So ... disturb my Weekend - and, get a Fist in the Face.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

"Hi, TV license inspector"

"HADOUKEN!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

BBJBIG wrote: »

Whereas, during the week, you'd politely show them your tv license?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

They only "disturb you" if you haven't paid your licence... so pay your bill like the rest of us and you will never see them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Hmm which will I go with

"Pay up gouger" or "You tell him good sir"

Nah I'll just ignore the thread and go back to trolling The Journal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

If you were to believe the Internet then there are plenty of homes in Ireland where 'ardmen are only waiting for a politician, inspector, bank official to call to the door so they can deck them in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I was thinking about paying this. I really gave this a lot of thought. I decided I'm happier with the TV and money rather than TV and license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

On the one hand, you have to laugh that it's taken how ever many decades for them to realise that a huge proportion of the country aren't home Monday-Friday 9-5.

On the other hand, I still won't be opening my door to strangers, weekend or not. So good luck to them. The game continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'll just put him in the cellar with all the other license inspectors.

I think I have enough of them to power the house somehow, maybe build a few hamster-like wheels or something..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

They only "disturb you" if you haven't paid your licence... so pay your bill like the rest of us and you will never see them again.

What about those with no actual tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

They won't believe you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

as opposed to what? a virtual tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭BearBanjer

They don't bother if you don't answer the door.

I had suspected the last caller was one so I didn't bother answering. Everybody wins...except RTE.

as opposed to what? a virtual tv?

As opposed to having a tv license, but not possessing a tv. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'll just put him in the cellar with all the other license inspectors.

I think I have enough of them to power the house somehow, maybe build a few hamster-like wheels or something..........

Excercise bikes connected to dynamos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

kiffer wrote: »
    They won't believe you.

They certainly wont, my brother had to bring the inspector into his house and show him around before he'd believe that there was no telly in the house

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

are you by any chance related to Facekicker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

uch wrote: »
    They certainly wont, my brother had to bring the inspector into his house and show him around before he'd believe that there was no telly in the house

They have no right to enter your house and in Ireland you are innocent until proven guilty. I refuse to pay for a tv licence and my tv set will be gone very soon. They can f*ck right off if they think they're coming into my house to poke around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

just switch up the volume on your tv, pretend you cant hear them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Some time ago, I got a letter saying I missed the license inspector. Didn't bother me, have no television. A while later, I got a letter telling me that if I didn't get a license, I'd be fined. Still, had no television. Then I got a letter telling me I was due in court for not buying a license. Didn't show up, have no television.

Fuck 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

KTRIC wrote: »
    They have no right to enter your house and in Ireland you are innocent until proven guilty. I refuse to pay for a tv licence and my tv set will be gone very soon. They can f*ck right off if they think they're coming into my house to poke around.

You like to pick and choose which laws to obey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Lock the front gate, I just cannot fathom seeing an ageing inspector jumping over a 6ft wall to gawk into your window :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I pay my TV licence because I'm not a hard man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭BearBanjer

kneemos wrote: »
    You like to pick and choose which laws to obey.

Some laws make sense and are there for the well being of society, ya know, murder and stuff.

And some are there to squeeze money out of people to fund a below par, partisan 'service' many people don't want or even use - RTE in this case.

Just because it's a law doesn't mean it's just in anyway shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Why the feck have a tv licence ?

Its not a car, im not gonna crash it

Its not a pet, im not gonna mistreat it.

Its not an airplane, im not gonna make it fly

Its a load of muck if ya ask me

Im gonna make it in my house when I own one to be a 60" pc monitor thats not a device able to pick up tv channels or sole purpose to watch tv.

Tv licence me arse... wheres me fecking cooker licence ? Or microwave licence like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Its not a pet, im not gonna mistreat it.

Except when Anne Doyle is on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

and remember, if you've a colour television, you need a colour television license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

All pointless now. No tv=no excuse. they broadcast so you pay even if you have no tv or even no electricity.
    On the plus side, they dont need to enter the house anymore as you pay anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Every letter from them comes in the old tenants name. I look forward to seeing a motorway chase with her an Gardai on the news some night because she hasn't paid her tv licence or shown up in court.

Skatedude wrote: »
    All pointless now. No tv=no excuse. they broadcast so you pay even if you have no tv or even no electricity.

Load of baloney.

You have to buy a tv license for a television set.

They are talking about bringing in a broadcast charge (RTE tax). But as it stands, no tv = no need for a tv license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

yeah the new tv license will include laptops and pc. Sheesh, talk about wanting to milk you. But I bet by 2018 or something smart phones will be included in in the license.

- Do you have a tv, sir?
    - No.
    - Do you have a laptop or pc?
    - No.
    - What time is it?
    - *whips out phone* It's 2 o' clock.
    - *touches self with the thought a fine will be handed out any second*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

KTRIC wrote: »

They are allowed enter if the person doesn't object. That is what happened here.
    You are a parasite and no amount of explaining exempts you form your responsibility to pay for your licence. You are precisely the reason the system is changing at a cost to the state. Don't forget that. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

yeah the new tv license will include laptops and pc. Sheesh, talk about wanting to milk you. But I bet by 2018 or something smart phones will be included in in the license.

- Do you have a tv, sir?
    - No.
    - Do you have a laptop or pc?
    - No.
    - What time is it?
    - *whips out phone* It's 2 o' clock.
    - *touches self with the thought a fine will be handed out any second*

It's not a new tv licence it's a "broadcasting" licence and it will cover anything that is able to receive a broadcast. I believe (am open to correction on this) that it will cover smart phones too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

OP in "Licence to Punch".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Skatedude wrote: »

Love Pointless, best quiz show on TV...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

They're gona sweeten the deal this year. Anyone who pays on time will be told what really happened to Amber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

RobertKK wrote: »
    Love Pointless, best quiz show on TV...

There's a massive thread over in the TV forum celebrating the Pointless tv show.
    Armstrong and Richard are the best double act since Laurel and Hardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

kiffer wrote: »
    They won't believe you.
    I don't have a tv at my weekday residence, and they believed me :-)

helps there's a license at the weekend gaf, I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Bogger77 wrote: »
    I don't have a tv at my weekday residence, and they believed me :-)

helps there's a license at the weekend gaf, I suppose

License follows the person afaik.You only need one.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    They are allowed enter if the person doesn't object . That is what happened here.
    You are a parasite and no amount of explaining exempts you form your responsibility to pay for your licence. You are precisely the reason the system is changing at a cost to the state. Don't forget that. :P

Anyone telling porkies about not owning a tv would have to be a right dope to not object.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

bumper234 wrote: »
    It's not a new tv licence it's a "broadcasting" licence and it will cover anything that is able to receive a broadcast. I believe (am open to correction on this) that it will cover smart phones too.

Im sorry but thats pushing it... I have a smart phone and im sure as hell am not going to be paying a broadcasting licence to make and receive phonecalls and do the odd bit of internetting.... not happening and anyone coming to my door for this reason wont be welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

They don't need to see the tv. An aerial or dish is enough to form the opinion that you have a tv. Had a licence years ago but it wasn't renewed until an inspector called while I was out. Decided to get one but had to change details due to spelling errors on the renewal. Haven't got a single reminder in 5 years. Is the black and white licence defunct now. Parents used to pay for a b&w even though we had 2 colour tvs. Fearless fxxxers I tell ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

Do they have any power? I just don't answer the door, and/or refuse to let them in. I actually don't have a TV, but I'm not letting some random person into my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I hope for their sake that they don't visit me on Fava Beans and Chianti night! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Because if you need one (they reckon 99% of households need one) then by not paying you are effectively robbing from others, forcing them to pay your share, there's a reason its so high. No real difference between not paying this and normal tax evasion.

I would like to see be a subscription service, or if not then just included in normal taxation. Its crazy that a large house with 5 high earning young professionals pay the same as a single person just scraping by.

If they had licences for walking on footpaths similarly 99% of households would be liable. But footpath costs are included in normal taxation, if you don't like the footpath in your area you might similarly consider tax evasion and try and justify it to yourself, making out like your some sort of moral protestor, but everyone and yourself really know you're just a miserable & stingy cunt.

Normal tax evasion is thankfully a little harder than not answering the door.
    kneemos wrote: »
    License follows the person afaik.You only need one.
    You need a separate one for a holiday home.
    They don't need to see the tv. An aerial or dish is enough to form the opinion that you have a tv.
    That just makes them think you might have one, having an aerial will not result in a fine if it went to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What's on RTE tonight?
    15:10 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

Fair City

Jane confronts Tommy about his obsession with Judith, Pete considers ending his relationship with Damien, and Zoe's concern for Jo leads to a shocking discovery for Ben

15:40 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

Fresh from the Sea

Clodagh McKenna heads for Cork, where she learns to pilot a dinghy at a local sailing school, and is given a lesson in preparing sushi at the city's English Market

16:10 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

From Here to Maternity

A woman diagnosed with a potentially dangerous condition has her son delivered by Caesarean section and a baby born 12 weeks early is taken off oxygen for the first time

16:40 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

Animal Clinic

Following the work of Ireland's largest animal charity, the DSPCA clinic in the foothills of the Dublin mountains

17:10 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

At Your Service

John and Francis Brennan head to the Olde Glenbeigh Hotel, an old coaching inn on the Ring of Kerry, where Mary Keary hopes to modernise her business

17:40 listing_icon_subtitles.png

Nuacht

The latest news headlines, followed by News for the Deaf and European Weather

18:00

The Angelus

18:01 listing_icon_subtitles.png

RTÉ News: Six One and Weather

The latest national and international headlines, followed by Party Political Broadcast

19:00 listing_icon_subtitles.png

Nationwide

News stories from around the country

19:30 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

Reabhlóid

Tracing the final days of the Easter Rising in 1916, and examining whether the role of women in events at the time was deliberately downplayed. Last in the series

20:00 listing_icon_subtitles.png

EastEnders

Lola comes under fire when the local paper prints her scathing interview about Lucy. Dot sets out to find the truth about Charlie and David gets into a dodgy situation with Nikki

20:30 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

Ireland's Search and Rescue

Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh explores real-life rescues and the bravery of volunteers and professionals in challenging conditions

21:00 listing_icon_subtitles.png

RTÉ News: Nine O'Clock and Weather

The latest national and international news

21:35 listing_icon_subtitles.png

Dolores Keane: A Storm in the Heart

The folk singer and actress discusses her battles with alcoholism, depression and breast cancer as she shares the story of her life

22:35 listing_icon_subtitles.png

Prime Time

Current affairs review, plus reports on breaking news stories at home and abroad

23:15 listing_icon_subtitles.png

Ripper Street

New series. Thriller following a Victorian police team investigating murders on the blood-stained streets of London's Whitechapel. Matthew Macfadyen and Jerome Flynn star, followed by Weather and iWitness

00:20 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

The Late Late Show

As usual, a load of shíte that I won't watch. They can fúck right off if they think I'm going to pay €170 for that shíte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Cienciano wrote: »
    What's on RTE tonight?

As usual, a load of shíte that I won't watch. They can fúck right off if they think I'm going to pay €170 for that shíte

You do know the licence doesn't just pay for RTE television services. You are able to watch TV because it is controlled. Having lived near a pirate radio station that blocked out other stations I was grateful there was somebody to stop it.
    You might find it is useful to have an ambulance service that can use it's radio if they are coming to your assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Good idea OP, attack people for doing their jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Just go onto youtube theres some good videos related to Tv licence inspectors knocking at the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Cienciano wrote: »
    What's on RTE tonight?
    15:10 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

Fair City

Jane confronts Tommy about his obsession with Judith, Pete considers ending his relationship with Damien, and Zoe's concern for Jo leads to a shocking discovery for Ben

15:40 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

Fresh from the Sea

Clodagh McKenna heads for Cork, where she learns to pilot a dinghy at a local sailing school, and is given a lesson in preparing sushi at the city's English Market

16:10 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

From Here to Maternity

A woman diagnosed with a potentially dangerous condition has her son delivered by Caesarean section and a baby born 12 weeks early is taken off oxygen for the first time

16:40 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

Animal Clinic

Following the work of Ireland's largest animal charity, the DSPCA clinic in the foothills of the Dublin mountains

17:10 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

At Your Service

John and Francis Brennan head to the Olde Glenbeigh Hotel, an old coaching inn on the Ring of Kerry, where Mary Keary hopes to modernise her business

17:40 listing_icon_subtitles.png

Nuacht

The latest news headlines, followed by News for the Deaf and European Weather

18:00

The Angelus

18:01 listing_icon_subtitles.png

RTÉ News: Six One and Weather

The latest national and international headlines, followed by Party Political Broadcast

19:00 listing_icon_subtitles.png

Nationwide

News stories from around the country

19:30 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

Reabhlóid

Tracing the final days of the Easter Rising in 1916, and examining whether the role of women in events at the time was deliberately downplayed. Last in the series

20:00 listing_icon_subtitles.png

EastEnders

Lola comes under fire when the local paper prints her scathing interview about Lucy. Dot sets out to find the truth about Charlie and David gets into a dodgy situation with Nikki

20:30 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

Ireland's Search and Rescue

Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh explores real-life rescues and the bravery of volunteers and professionals in challenging conditions

21:00 listing_icon_subtitles.png

RTÉ News: Nine O'Clock and Weather

The latest national and international news

21:35 listing_icon_subtitles.png

Dolores Keane: A Storm in the Heart

The folk singer and actress discusses her battles with alcoholism, depression and breast cancer as she shares the story of her life

22:35 listing_icon_subtitles.png

Prime Time

Current affairs review, plus reports on breaking news stories at home and abroad

23:15 listing_icon_subtitles.png

Ripper Street

New series. Thriller following a Victorian police team investigating murders on the blood-stained streets of London's Whitechapel. Matthew Macfadyen and Jerome Flynn star, followed by Weather and iWitness

00:20 listing_icon_subtitles.pnglisting_icon_repeat.png

The Late Late Show

8 programmes are repeats 9 if you count the angelus. Almost as bad as tv3. I must have a licence to watch that cac too even though they get nothing from the licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You do know the licence doesn't just pay for RTE television services. You are able to watch TV because it is controlled. Having lived near a pirate radio station that blocked out other stations I was grateful there was somebody to stop it.
    You might find it is useful to have an ambulance service that can use it's radio if they are coming to your assistance.
    Pretty sure comreg isn't funded by the TV license.

• Advertisement
Advertisement