Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

!!! Warning to TV Licence Inspectors !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish so you believe if every one paid the licence fee would go down???
    :rolleyes: sweet fucking jesus
    rubadub wrote: »
    . I am not saying the licence will go down
    apologize for your post.
    Right back at you... christ, cringeworthy shite...

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

I had an inspector call to my door a couple of weeks back. I didn't answer the door and he left a card addressed to "The occupier". They don't have my name and without it they can go and jump in a river!

To the people berating others for not paying. Get a grip, you're just pissed off because you had no choice but to pay.
    If it was voluntary would you have coughed up that insane amount they ask for? I think not.

I've been living in France for almost 6 years. Now whatever you can say about Irish TV being bad French TV is beyond belief. Anyway that's not the point.

Here you have to tick a box on your yearly tax declaration to say you DON'T own a TV if not it's included in your yearly council tax bill.

I pay it despite having a TV I found on the side of a street and mainly using it to watch stuff from home anyway.

My point is I pay it because I just want a quiet life. No hassle, no messing and no stress. I'm sure a lot of people pay the tv license for the same reason - don't get me wrong I don't like it/necessarily agree with it but if it gives people one less reason to knock on my door then I am all for paying a few euro a day for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

but the current situation IS a compulsory subscription, its just easy to avoid and has stupid costs associated with it. And it certainly is unpopular.

Imagine the introduced a footpath licence, and if you owned shoes you had to pay it, and you could just hide inside and not pay. You would similarly have thieves saying "I never use the footpath, it benefits me in absolutely no way, either directly or indirectly, sure the paths in my area are rubbish, I'm not paying". Its ridiculous to give people the way to easily not pay, if 99% are getting usage then just charge everyone, I expect there are loads of things that the public pay for that far fewer than 99% use, like subsidised or free museums or parks etc. I have more respect for traditional straight up thieves who at least are not down the pud with their other thieving mates all patting themselves on the back as though they are standing up for their rights and that their crime is benign with no repercussions on anybody elses finances.

I got an idea how about we scrap RTE 1,2 JNR and host of other repulsively bad radio stations such as pulse and just have one channel thats is dedicated to current affairs i enjoyed love/hate but i just dont feel i should pay for ryan tubridy's millionaire lifestyle when i can get freesat for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Hi,

With the new Broadcasting charge, can just just say they have
    No Internet
    No mobile phone
    No TV
    No radio
    No laptop

And live the life of a recluse

Can they search your house or could you get away without paying this?

I have more respect for traditional straight up thieves who at least are not down the pud with their other thieving mates all patting themselves on the back as though they are standing up for their rights and that their crime is benign with no repercussions on anybody elses finances.

So you have more respect for a burglar than you do for some one who didnt pay for a tv licence thats messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

They should make Tubridy and Co. collect it. Let them try and earn it for once.

Hi,

No Internet
    No mobile phone
    No TV
    No radio
    No laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Always fascinated by this. I had a call recently to my door by one.

"TV Licence Inspector"

"I don't have one"

"A TV or a licence"

"Both"

"May I come inside and check"

"No"

"May I have your name?"

"No"

"Your obliged to let me in"

"No I'm not. Bye"

Never heard from him again. I presume he needs your name to get a warrant ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Hi,

No Internet
    No mobile phone
    No TV
    No radio
    No laptop

Yes a S.W.A.T team would be at your house in seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The licence isn't just for the couple of outrageously paid people in rte.

in 2012 the funding went:
    80.46 RTE television
    26.80 RTE radio
    5.70 RTE support for tg4
    0.07 BAI levy
    6.79 TG4 deduction
    10.52 BCI Sound & vision fund
    9.79 Collection costs - an post/dcenr/dsp

What's really mad is that almost the same amount of money is spent chasing people and collecting the money, as goes to the sound and vision fund which is what keeps the whole thing ticking, it's a fund that independent or otherwise producers can get funding to make programs which will be aired on irish television or used to make films, shorts, radio programs etc, in ireland for the irish public. There could be twice as much funding for that if they didn't have all those license inspectors running after people who will clearly never pay them.

I'm not going to stand up for the tv licence because it's a very unpopular opinion, but we need it. It funds our national broadcaster for news and *some* entertainment, allows there to be a functioning irish film community/whatever you want to call it, and just does what is already in other countries.

Of course not everything on rte is going to appeal to you, but between the news, and the odd program that you watch on it, that's your share of it. They have an obligation to entertain, inform, and educate the public and cater to all audiences. If you feel like you're not being fairly represented by the content rte are making, you can file an official complaint to rte, and if they don't give you a satisfactory response then you can complain to the BAI.

Obviously there's loads of crap, but the crap is cheap to make, your 35 cent or whatever it is a day is being used up if you listen to the radio for 20 minutes in the morning 20 minutes in the afternoon, watch the news and the weather, and then maybe 1 'program'.

If everyone paid it, they would have a ****load of money to spend on actual programs, they wouldn't just keep giving radio presenters raises. The government doesn't control what's on rte, and what's on rte depends on the demographic watching at certain times.

Maybe there's nothing on rte suitable for 18-40 year olds because no 18-40 year olds pay their fcuking tv license

(now I look like an rte apologiser and I'll be burned at the stake :( )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

BBJBIG wrote: »
    Says on the Radio that they will now come to visit us on the Weekends ...
    So ... disturb my Weekend - and, get a Fist in the Face.

Just so they know to avoid your house, care to put up your address? Purely so they can avoid it of course, not at all to know which one to put the court summons through. :pac:

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Yes a S.W.A.T team would be at your house in seconds

Oh Lord!

Never even knew the S.W.A.T team were in Ireland, is it only for T.V licence inspections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

You can blare the Eastenders theme as loud as you like, Tell them your watching it on the RTE Player - No licence needed!

You can tell them that yes - but if its on at its scheduled time the inspector has prima facie evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Could you live with the shame? :eek:

Can the T.V licence inspectors speak Polish/Lithuanian/Pourtugeese or Gaeilge?

What happens if there is a language barrier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Could you live with the shame? :eek:

Years and years ago my grandmother (God bless her) had a visit.

Whatever he asked she just kept repeating:

"We haven't got a dog"

"We used to have one but he kept barking, had to get rid of it."

Over and over again. In the end the guy just left.

Nothing heard of again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Can the T.V licence inspectors speak Polish/Lithuanian/Pourtugeese or Gaeilge?

What happens if there is a language barrier?

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/FAQs/TV+Licence+FAQsPolski29022008.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

80.46 RTE television
    26.80 RTE radio
    5.70 RTE support for tg4
    0.07 BAI levy
    6.79 TG4 deduction

What's really mad is that almost the same amount of money is spent chasing people and collecting the money, as goes to the sound and vision fund which is what keeps the whole thing ticking, it's a fund that independent or otherwise producers can get funding to make programs which will be aired on irish television or used to make films, shorts, radio programs etc, in ireland for the irish public. There could be twice as much funding for that if they didn't have all those license inspectors running after people who will clearly never pay them.

I'm not going to stand up for the tv licence because it's a very unpopular opinion, but we need it. It funds our national broadcaster for news and *some* entertainment, allows there to be a functioning irish film community/whatever you want to call it, and just does what is already in other countries.

Of course not everything on rte is going to appeal to you, but between the news, and the odd program that you watch on it, that's your share of it. They have an obligation to entertain, inform, and educate the public and cater to all audiences. If you feel like you're not being fairly represented by the content rte are making, you can file an official complaint to rte, and if they don't give you a satisfactory response then you can complain to the BAI.

Obviously there's loads of crap, but the crap is cheap to make, your 35 cent or whatever it is a day is being used up if you listen to the radio for 20 minutes in the morning 20 minutes in the afternoon, watch the news and the weather, and then maybe 1 'program'.

If everyone paid it, they would have a ****load of money to spend on actual programs, they wouldn't just keep giving radio presenters raises. The government doesn't control what's on rte, and what's on rte depends on the demographic watching at certain times.

Maybe there's nothing on rte suitable for 18-40 year olds because no 18-40 year olds pay their fcuking tv license

That's all grand but what about the money they make from advertising?

Because if you need one (they reckon 99% of households need one) then by not paying you are effectively robbing from others, forcing them to pay your share, there's a reason its so high. No real difference between not paying this and normal tax evasion.

I don't consume RTE at all. I watch sky and pay my sub because I actually watch it. I get my radio news from Newstalk. I find the notion that I need to subsidise a state broadcaster that I don't use to be preposterous. It's very simple - RTE should be an opt in service. Simple to do - Sky and UPC can show them how. If you want it you subscribe, if not you are denied access - blue screen.

I pay €160/yr for a service I don't want, and have done for 15 years. That's robbery too. Owning a TV does not equate to being an RTE customer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I don't blame anyone who doesn't pay, absolute rubbish on TV and as for repeats how many years can RTE continue to repeat reeling in the years it was good the first time around, maybe even the second time around but it's now probably 10 years in a row row they are still showing it.

Not to mention paying the obscene salaries of people on RTE who aren't even worth a fraction of their salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

I'm from the north and can pick up RTE, so how do i go about buying a licence as i can't live with the shame! : (

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭JRant

80.46 RTE television
    26.80 RTE radio
    5.70 RTE support for tg4
    0.07 BAI levy
    6.79 TG4 deduction

Would ya give over.

Risteard O'Domhnaill, who made the lovely little movie "The Pipe" couldn't get a cent from RTE for his latest project.
    Why?
    Well i'd hazard a guess that he wasn't part of the clique.
    Not like Gerry "who's line is it anyway" Ryan's daughter. Not an ounce of talent in her whole body and she gets a RTE gig.

If they got more money from the public they would do what they do best and squander it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

onlyme! wrote: »
    I'm from the north and can pick up RTE, so how do i go about buying a licence as i can't live with the shame! : (

It's ok we have been stealing BBC for years :D

Maphisto wrote: »
    You can tell them that yes - but if its on at its scheduled time the inspector has prima facie evidence.

Google RTE LIVE ... click RTE 1, click play, You are now watching RTE live on the internet - No TV licence needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Make sure TV isn't visible from outside, ever. License inspector comes to the door, asks you if you have a TV license you say you don't have a TV, he asks if he can come in, you politely decline and thats that.

• Advertisement

Google RTE LIVE ... click RTE 1, click play, You are now watching RTE live on the internet - No TV licence needed!

Until the broadcast licence replaces the tv licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

someone mentioned earlier the video's on youtube

There is a video titled DONT LET THEM IN which is the best on this matter, but you could be entertained for hours with video's on youtube, most very funny!

power to the people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

What if you dont live in a house. or an apartment. or mobile home ?

what if you live in a motorhome (like jack from meet the fockers) and you dont really have an address and nobody comes knocking ... do you have to pay then ? since they cant actually pin ya ?

what if you live in a motorhome (like jack from meet the fockers) and you dont really have an address and nobody comes knocking ... do you have to pay then ? since they cant actually pin ya ?

They'll clamp you until you pay the licence fee!

S.W.A.T teams monitor all of these 24/7

:pac:

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    Until the broadcast licence replaces the tv licence.

When is the broadcast licence replacing it?

JRant wrote: »
    Would ya give over.

Risteard O'Domhnaill, who made the lovely little movie "The Pipe" couldn't get a cent from RTE for his latest project.
    Why?
    Well i'd hazard a guess that he wasn't part of the clique.
    Not like Gerry "who's line is it anyway" Ryan's daughter. Not an ounce of talent in her whole body and she gets a RTE gig.

If they got more money from the public they would do what they do best and squander it.

You don't get funding from rte, you get it from sound and vision fund and rte will put up the balance on it, unless they're making the thing themselves. Not rte's fault they didn't agree to the terms/amount wanted/plan/vision

You're comparing somebody looking to get commissioned to somebody getting a job at rte?

Olive8585 wrote: »
    That's all grand but what about the money they make from advertising?

The costs involved in running rte aren't fully covered by the tv license, the ads pay for the rest... they're not pocketing it as far as i'm aware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

mikeym wrote: »
    Just go onto youtube theres some good videos related to Tv licence inspectors knocking at the door.

I watched a few of those. Why in the HELL do you people put up with that **** in that country? That would never go over well in Canada or the USA.

When is the broadcast licence replacing it?

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/every-single-home-to-be-hit-with-new-broadcasting-charge-29428338.html
    Nobody will be able to refuse to pay the charge because it will apply regardless of whether you have a television, computer or any other device that can pick up public information.

The new universal charge will be collected in a way that tackles the current very high evasion rates of the TV licence fee - suggesting the payment mechanism could be modelled on the new property tax.

This is the killer, they are going to.assume every home has a device capable of picking up"public information" and will be hitting everyone with the charge without proof. Now i can't see anyone in this day and age who can honestly say they don't own a tv/pc/tablet/smart phone and convincing a judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

They'll clamp you until you pay the licence fee!
    No way boss ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/every-single-home-to-be-hit-with-new-broadcasting-charge-29428338.html

This is the killer, they are going to.assume every home has a device capable of picking up"public information" and will be hitting everyone with the charge without proof. Now i can't see anyone in this day and age who can honestly say they don't own a tv/pc/tablet/smart phone and convincing a judge.

bollox to that, i dont have a tv or laptop or tablet. and i own a nokia 3310. go and ask me arse .
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    No way boss ;)

wont fit the wheels on the one i have in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

If everyone in the country paid the license fee probably all that would happen would be rte doubling their staff numbers and pay rises all round. Fookers. The only time I ever paid was when I got nabbed by an inspector. Moved house, stopped paying. The only time ill pay again is if the same happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

MugMugs wrote: »
    Always fascinated by this. I had a call recently to my door by one.

"TV Licence Inspector"

"I don't have one"

"A TV or a licence"

"Both"

"May I come inside and check"

"No"

"May I have your name?"

"No"

"Your obliged to let me in"

"No I'm not. Bye"

Never heard from him again. I presume he needs your name to get a warrant ?

I got a letter about it, was a section you could sign to say you had no TV. I signed that and sent it off. Haven't had a peep out of them since. That was about 3 years ago so almost €500 saved so far.
    When I flick past the late late show and see Tubridy, or hear people talking about what's on Joe Duffy I'm glad I don't pay. Couple of years ago Marian Finucane did 1 two hour radio show a week and got paid over half a million a year.

They only "disturb you" if you haven't paid your licence... so pay your bill like the rest of us and you will never see them again.

Ill finish this...And enjoy all of the top entertainment that RTE has to offer.... :pac:

• Advertisement

bollox to that, i dont have a tv or laptop or tablet. and i own a nokia 3310. go and ask me arse .

wont fit the wheels on the one i have in mind.

You could download ringtones to the 3310 therefore it was/is capable of receiving date and eligible for the charge. ****ers have thought this one through :mad:

Some time ago, I got a letter saying I missed the license inspector. Didn't bother me, have no television. A while later, I got a letter telling me that if I didn't get a license, I'd be fined. Still, had no television. Then I got a letter telling me I was due in court for not buying a license. Didn't show up, have no television.

Fuck 'em.

Probably cost them more than the licence is worth if they were to haul you through the courts.

You could download ringtones to the 3310 therefore it was/is capable of receiving date and eligible for the charge. ****ers have thought this one through :mad:

If you want to be even more technical sure you can send and receive data via a pigeons leg. Transmission probably more faster then a Nokia 3310

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60320263&postcount=4

Heres a post from 5 years ago talking about this new broadcast licence.....yet people are still talking about it.

If you want to be even more technical sure you can send and receive data via a pigeons leg. Transmission probably more faster then a Nokia 3310

Yup it this is how the ****ers are going about it, got a radio in your house or on your phone? Bang.....subject to the licence. Fwiw i have never had a tv licence and i never will. I work hard i pay my taxes but ask my bollix if i will pay for a licence to substitute ****e that i don't watch or listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Cienciano wrote: »
    I got a letter about it, was a section you could sign to say you had no TV. I signed that and sent it off. Haven't had a peep out of them since. That was about 3 years ago so almost €500 saved so far.
    When I flick past the late late show and see Tubridy, or hear people talking about what's on Joe Duffy I'm glad I don't pay. Couple of years ago Marian Finucane did 1 two hour radio show a week and got paid over half a million a year.

I've no real issue telling them I don't have a TV but putting it in writing makes me wonder a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

MugMugs wrote: »
    I've no real issue telling them I don't have a TV but putting it in writing makes me wonder a bit.

I should have invented a signature :D . But haven't heard a thing from them, used to get letters which have stopped since I sent that back, so everyones happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Heres a post from 5 years ago talking about this new broadcast licence.....yet people are still talking about it.

They're probably still scratching their heads on how to implement it, or leaving a cooling off period in the slim hope that we might have forgotten about the last tax hike.

As far as I'm concerned, they can bite the back of my beachball....

...cos I don't have a telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Hi,

No Internet
    No mobile phone
    No TV
    No radio
    No laptop

Live streaming of audio & video would use up a mobile / internet monthly data allowance very quickly.

Some people who couldn't pay for large amounts of downloaded data would end up paying for a broadcasting charge which they couldn't afford to use at all.

Seems to be nothing more than a government propaganda charge IMO! :mad:

• Advertisement

Exactly, Even the first link is 1 year old.

Advertisement