Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greatest Individual Premier League season ever?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    IMO this is a very biased poll.
    While i'd say there's very little to separate Shearer(only seen his season through premier league years), Henry and Suarez, there's no way Ronaldo's season should be rivaling the others in a poll, let alone leading it (bias, what!?)
    Hahahaha Jesus Christ, talks about bias and says that Ronaldo was nowhere near Suarez? Get out of that garden. I'm sure Ronaldo would console himself with the Premier League, Champions League and Balon d'Or he got that year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Cristiano Ronaldo (Man United) 07-08
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

20 goals in 15 matches is not a season-long performance. If this was a poll on best goal-scoring streaks, it would be up there.

Similarly, in best season ever, you can't put Pires in 01/02 on the list despite the wonder goals and the most assists because he missed two months of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Other

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Luis Suarez (Liverpool) 13-14
    While i'd say there's very little to separate Shearer(only seen his season through premier league years), Henry and Suarez, there's no way Ronaldo's season should be rivaling the others in a poll, let alone leading it (bias, what!?)

What the hell is this crap? He scored 42 goals that year winning everything and he doesn't deserve to be on the list?

Back this rubbish up please and explain in detail why he doesn't deserve to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RasTa wrote: »
    explain in detail why he doesn't deserve to be there.

He did it with United.
    That's the single most relevant reason for Sheepy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

"Shouldn't even be rivaling others in a poll"

Are you off your head?

Genuine question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Roy Keane 98/99

It was the season after he came back from the bad injury.
    There was so many games he was excellent in. And then there is the champs league and the cup. But he was brilliant in the league that year.

I remember watching some games and he looked like he was going mad to make up for the season before, with the injury and of course Arsenal winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ronaldo - won the 2 biggest trophies, recognised as best in the world for that year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

pot-kettle-black.jpg

Obviously club bias will play a part in polls like this but your comment here is just plain nonsense, no other word to describe it.

It's Ronaldo for me, although Henry isn't far off, both brilliant seasons.
    Ronaldo was just incredible that season though, doing it in both the league and in Europe right up to the end in both, never letting his level of performance down, there's alot to be said for that. Some of the goals he scored were exceptional and some very important aswell. And mostly from the wing aswell, although as others say he was equally comfortable moving to the middle to change things if needed. Became the only player to win World Player of the Year while playing in England. Also swept the board with the domestic individual honours, winning the PFA Players, Fans, Writers and Young Player of the year(I know a few others won 3 in a season but Ronaldo winning the Young Player award aswell makes this unique).

But no, he shouldn't even be in the conversation for best PL season. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

bullvine wrote: »
    Eric Cantona 1996, almost single handed won the league for United, scored the winner in around 6 matches in a row for one nil wins.

Also scored the winner in the FA Cup Final against Liverpool. Remember this was the season he started late due to the kung fu fan kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Other
    Liam O wrote: »
    Hahahaha Jesus Christ, talks about bias and says that Ronaldo was nowhere near Suarez? Get out of that garden. I'm sure Ronaldo would console himself with the Premier League, Champions League and Balon d'Or he got that year though.

You write that as if you think i'm a Liverpool fan ?

Bringing the Champions League and Ballon* d'Or into I see, well if it makes you feel better about some random person not agreeing with your opinion then belt ahead :pac:

Other
    RasTa wrote: »
    What the hell is this crap? He scored 42 goals that year winning everything and he doesn't deserve to be on the list?

Back this rubbish up please and explain in detail why he doesn't deserve to be there.

Feelings hurt? Get over yourself.
    Title says PL season so why are you bringing 42 goals into it?

Other
    He did it with United.
    That's the single most relevant reason for Sheepy :rolleyes:

Are we jumping on the non-United fan stereotype bandwagon here?
    You know nothing of my footballing opinions. Even at United I was a fan of his, granted I was happy when he left but who wasn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Henry 04 and Ronaldo 08 are on complete different levels to anything else we have seen in the premier league era. Suarez wasnt even the best player this year imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Are we jumping on the non-United fan stereotype bandwagon here?
    You know nothing of my footballing opinions. Even at United I was a fan of his, granted I was happy when he left but who wasn't?

I've seen enough of your posts to know your angle. If it was with another team you wouldn't have mentioned it at all, I'm pretty confident of that.

You write that as if you think i'm a Liverpool fan ?

Bringing the Champions League and Ballon* d'Or into I see, well if it makes you feel better about some random person not agreeing with your opinion then belt ahead :pac:

Thanks for correcting my spelling, I was really worried there for a second.

It doesn't matter who you support, the opinion was pure bollocks of the highest order, we won't use the 42 overall goal tally then, Suarez did a great job to score 31 in the league this season didn't he? I'm sure Ronaldo's league tally was miles below that, wouldn't even rival it. He was voted the world player of the year for basically the season you are saying is miles behind the 3rd best in Europe this season. It's not that you disagreed with it, it's that your opinion is silly and I will feel better by ridiculing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't remember the other seasons well enough so I won't vote.

The stuff Suarez was doing around November/December was amazing.

But from about the end of January he started getting very jaded. The nut megs stopped, he struggled to beat people as often, there were fewer silly goals from all over the place. In the 2nd half of the season he was a very good striker but he wasn't doing anything you haven't seen from top class strikers before.

I think that's partly down to a work ethic that can be so extreme it becomes counter-productive and leads to fatigue, as well as an incredibly weak Liverpool squad.

Staying the pace is very much a part of the puzzle and the likes of Ronaldo and Messi have had seasons where they've just refused to let their performances drop, despite incredible numbers of games.

I don't think his season was the best individual season ever but I don't think that that's down to a lack of effort or quality. He wasn't too far off and he has a great chance of having that season next season if we can get more out of him by having a better squad.

The big change in Suarez is how direct he is now, he won't try to beat a player 3 or 4 times before he gets his head up and shoots or passes. I think when it's not going well for him such as in some big games this season he'd be maybe falling into old habits again and overplaying it a bit so the shot isn't always there at the end if the good play. All players will see a stat drop off in bigger games though so it's not something I'd overly focus on, he's obviously not going to be as good against better players, very few would be.

Advertisement