Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crows Nest @ Victoria Cross

Options
  • 12-05-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what is the story on the former Crows Nest pub at Victoria Cross? It lay derelict (following a fire) protected by a skeleton of scaffolding for around a decade until earlier this year when the roof was replaced and the scaffolding was removed. In my own mind the work appeared to coincide with the sale of the nearby Kingsley hotel but that may be coincidental.

Anyone hear anything about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

It's a strange one alright. I always thought it was a decent pub, always had a good reputation for grub. The catchment is good (although possibly too many students now?) - you would think someone could make a job of it.

With Dennehys and The Western Star gone also there is no pub between The Wilton and town now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

thejuggler wrote: »
    Anyone know what is the story on the former Crows Nest pub at Victoria Cross? It lay derelict (following a fire) protected by a skeleton of scaffolding for around a decade until earlier this year when the roof was replaced and the scaffolding was removed. In my own mind the work appeared to coincide with the sale of the nearby Kingsley hotel but that may be coincidental.

It's up for sale as 'development' land via George Maloney, a receiver with Baker Tilly Ryan Glennon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Theres a sign outside mai fitzs bar in lissarda mentioning the crows nest,not sure what the connection is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

ofcork wrote: »
    Theres a sign outside mai fitzs bar in lissarda mentioning the crows nest,not sure what the connection is.

It was the 'sister' pub of the Crows at Victoria Cross, but not sure in what way they were actually linked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Andip wrote: »
    It was the 'sister' pub of the Crows at Victoria Cross, but not sure in what way they were actually linked

Barry o connor who had a controlling stake in the crows nest and was head chef in crows nest i think took it on.

"MOD EDIT]

The houses along the straight road also come with the area, from what i know, they were fixing it up a little in order to make it look better for a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

thejuggler wrote: »

Everyone in the catering trade in Cork knows about it but no one wants to talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Everyone in the catering trade in Cork knows about it but no one wants to talk about it.

Well go on then..

Mokuba wrote: »
    Well go on then..

Be like Beyonce and work it out or make a chef a buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

You dug up a 5 year old thread for that reply? Seriously why bother!

Ludo wrote: »
    You dug up a 5 year old thread for that reply? Seriously why bother!

Came up in conversation with an old college buddy over lunch in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Good to hear it was an awful eyesore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

True. Long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

They seem to be replacing one eyesore with another.

I pine for beautiful stone cut buildings of a different age too but poured concrete is cheaper and faster to erect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

16 years next February since a fire closed the previous establishment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Completely disagree. They've done a great job on the designs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jesus Christ, 16 years, thought it was 7 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, 16 years, thought it was 7 or 8.

I used to go for pints in there all the time in my college years. Can’t believe it’s been 16 years. ****ing hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

I was standing on the roof of the county hall looking at the fire brigade fighting the fire at the crows nest.....didn't think back then that it would still be closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

A "fire"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I pine for beautiful stone cut buildings of a different age too but poured concrete is cheaper and faster to erect.

Quantity over quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

snotboogie wrote: »
    Completely disagree. They've done a great job on the designs

Awful. Like a big game of Jenga.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

It did very much remind me of Jenga :) But have to say I quite like it comared to the incredibily bland stuff that was build where the old timber yard used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Didn’t it reopen after the fire and something else happened afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I don't ever recall it reopening, there were remedial works that began and later stalled alright.

No, nothing happened. What did happen was they moved the name to somewhere else. Been an eyesore for the last 16 odd years. There were talks of rebuilding but those were quickly muted after there were problems with the insurance, so I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

The design doesn't appeal to me at all. You'd wonder how the residents of Orchard Road/Victoria Cross feel about all the high rise around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Not sure what it is but I personally like the design. It's weird and different.

Advertisement