Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco best area to stay

Options
  • 12-05-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi,
    Going to California on honeymoon & spending a few days in san fran first. I was there years ago but can't remember hotels or names of streets/ areas to stay. All I remember is that Union Square was a hectic spot that I didn't spend much time around and wasn't bothered with as I'm not much of a shopper but all the advice online as to where to stay seems to be Union Square...I could be wrong my memory is hazy so any advice out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

alot of the travel agents will direct you to market street area, i wouldn't advise staying there unless you where staying closer to the pier area. it is a handy street for public transport and to cut across the city to visit other tourist attraction. i stayed in the hotel whitcomb on market st and while it was cheap and cheerful, i honestly didnt feel safe walking outside the door at night due to the homeless people wandering around and the crazy's going to the xxx movie theather just across and down the street a bit.

the area around fishermans warf and the pier's is a real nice area, always something to do and it less busy then further up into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Nicman

Thanks for that GoProGaming - I was actually looking at the Market Street area so this is great advice, definitely don't want to be in a seedy area and want to be able to stroll around at night for sure. Thanks :-)

Nicman wrote: »
    Thanks for that GoProGaming - I was actually looking at the Market Street area so this is great advice, definitely don't want to be in a seedy area and want to be able to stroll around at night for sure. Thanks :-)

don't get me wrong, I still walked around, in the day time it's grand and busy, from 5-6pm onwards it just felt seedy and dodgy for the most part. the first night I was there I ran across the road to grab a burger king for myself and the girlfriend and got followed and hassle from what seemed like every homeless guy in the city.

if i go back to san fran i would look at staying in and around this area:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/PIER+39/@37.8055826,-122.4112504,1424m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x808580fc8bb3211d:0xbaf631600de6b39e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Was there a few weeks back. Found fishermans warf during the day was fine and was close to all the tours i.e Alcatraz, bike tours etc. But once the sun went down the homeless people came out. There are'nt that many bars down that area either and everything closed at round 10ish.

Would stay up by Union Square if I were to go back.

yeah all the same i'd like to avoid it completely while we ahve the choice. What's Union Square like to stay in? I loved Pier 39 when i was there before but it's a little on the edge of everything I think...will see! Thanks so much

• Advertisement

Was there a few weeks back. Found fishermans warf during the day was fine and was close to all the tours i.e Alcatraz, bike tours etc. But once the sun went down the homeless people came out. There are'nt that many bars down that area either and everything closed at round 10ish.

Thanks Thomas - thats what Im thinking, I do remember that area being a little far from restaurants/ nightlife so maybe we're good where we are! thanks :-)

It must be like that all over, whenever I talk to anyone about san fran, the homeless always comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

It must be like that all over, whenever I talk to anyone about san fran, the homeless always comes up.

Was crossing the street one night with the missus when this guy came up to me and "faked punched" me in the head. Came very close to my nose, got some fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Stayed in the Market Street area for a few nights last year. Have to say after dark it's not the nicest spot. The homeless people didn't really bother me too much but the other half definitely felt uneasy walking back in the evening. More than likely you're in no danger but who wants to be looking over their shoulder while on holiday. Stick to Union square I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

for tourists union square is probably best place to stay. i have stayed in chinatown area before as well but would recommend union square over that.

the problem with union square is that its close to the Tenderloin district which is not the most desirable of neighbourhoods. market street is fine (actually its one of the busiest street in town filled with brand stores etc) as long as you don't go west of mason..just 20 feet west and its not entering a new city completely :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

The north side of Union Square is best, away from the tenderloin.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Like many Cities Worldwide, SF does have a homeless problem, however I always found a polite "No thank you" worked 99% of the time.
    I've stayed in both Downtown and over in the Wharf (twice) and given choice the Wharf would be my option. Get a Muni passport and travel free on the streetcars/muni busses/cable cars. Market Street is fine once you don't stray past 5th/Turk Street.
    Great value in clothes and shoes [especially ROSS stores]. Avail of the instore discount cards. We signed up for Safeways and Walgreens and saved everytime (Safeways use cards and the discount is given at the tills, sign up for the Walgreens instore using the SF area code [415] and your 7 digit mobile number - only took a minute to register)
    Happy Holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

agree - anywhere within 1 block of Union Square is OK. Any further and it could...interesting. My wife works in a free clinic down there 1 evening a week. 4 blocks from union square and it is like a different world.

Use Union Square as a "border". Anywhere North and East is pretty much OK. There are some nice enough hotels just in SOMA (south of Market) between 1st and 4th Streets - very businessy but safe area.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Soft inda Head

Try the lombard motor Inn at the end of lombard Street. It's cheap, free car parking, comfortable and quite. Easy walk into the warf and good bus routes around the corner that cover most parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Last year I stayed in a boutique hotel called Boheme on Columbus Avenue in North Beach. Lovely Italian cafes and resturants and a few bars. Columbus Ave is also a fairly flat street and you could walk in either direction to Fishermans Wharf or Union Sq.

Stayed on Union Square and also one block off in a hotel on Ellis - and despite the homeless milling around never felt in the least unsafe at any hour. Can't vouch for any of the other areas as we tended to be back around Union Square from 10pm onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I stayed over near Fisherman's Wharf last time and it was a great area. Not far to walk to most places (and I hate walking!) and great public transport too.

Booked flights today to go back and am thinking of using airbnb and staying in Haight Ashbury this time. Anyone do this and can give me some advice?

Witchie wrote: »
    I stayed over near Fisherman's Wharf last time and it was a great area. Not far to walk to most places (and I hate walking!) and great public transport too.

Booked flights today to go back and am thinking of using airbnb and staying in Haight Ashbury this time. Anyone do this and can give me some advice?

I live not far from there - it's an OK area, as long as you stay closer to the Ashbury side, rather than closer to the park/whole foods. That area can get a bit dodgy with bums hanging out.

Carl/Cole street has some nice restaurants, and on haight my personal favourite restaurant is Magnolia Brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Cool....we should do drinks so! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Cha Cha Cha is a good restaurant: http://www.cha3.com/cha-cha-cha---haight---dinner-menu.html One block from the west end of Haight St #1801.

There's also food trucks on Thursday evenings on the Waller Street Bicycle Area (37°46'5.20"N, 122°27'14.39"W) which is one block south of the west end of Haight. While it sounds a bit dodgy it's quite a pleasant surprise and the food was really good quality and value and it's a good al fresco buzz.

There's also a cheap Indian place at #1793 whose food I loved.

A visit to Amoeba Records at#1855 is an absolute must for music, especially vinyl heads. It's between the 2 places above.

Zam Zam at#1633 is a great little cocktail bar on the 2nd block west of Haight Ashbury junction.

The Golden Cane at #1569 is also good, same area.

+1 for more good little eateries around Carl/Cole.

Carl/Cole is also pretty handy for the Muni tram to get into the city centre. N-Judah route: http://sfmta.com/ja/getting-around/transit/routes-stops/n-judah

@iusedtoknow I wouldn't be surprised if you know a friend of mine who has lived there for the guts of 20 years - a real diamond bloke;).

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Cha Cha Cha is a good restaurant: http://www.cha3.com/cha-cha-cha---haight---dinner-menu.html One block from the west end of Haight St #1801.

There's also food trucks on Thursday evenings on the Waller Street Bicycle Area (37°46'5.20"N, 122°27'14.39"W) which is one block south of the west end of Haight. While it sounds a bit dodgy it's quite a pleasant surprise and the food was really good quality and value and it's a good al fresco buzz.

There's also a cheap Indian place at #1793 whose food I loved.

A visit to Amoeba Records at#1855 is an absolute must for music, especially vinyl heads. It's between the 2 places above.

Zam Zam at#1633 is a great little cocktail bar on the 2nd block west of Haight Ashbury junction.

The Golden Cane at #1569 is also good, same area.

+1 for more good little eateries around Carl/Cole.

Carl/Cole is also pretty handy for the Muni tram to get into the city centre. N-Judah route: http://sfmta.com/ja/getting-around/transit/routes-stops/n-judah

@iusedtoknow I wouldn't be surprised if you know a friend of mine who has lived there for the guts of 20 years - a real diamond bloke;).

+1 for the food trucks- it's call "off the grid" and they're in different places around the city every day - aside from the one just off Haight, they have on on Friday nights at the Presidio...with cocktails for those that drink.

Murios is a nice spot for a beer/game of pool - there is an Irish guy behind the bar at the moment. Same with Martin Macks.

Between CHA CHA CHA (love their food) is a Cuban sandwich shop called Parada 22 - they do great sandwiches and a bit cheaper than next door.

The alembic apparently does good cocktails

I really love that area

Advertisement