Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help out a first time car buyer

• 12-05-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

So, I'm 18 and I'm learning to drive. My objective is to have a car for september whe I will be starting college. But I need a car for the commute. I'm not looking for anything that boasts speed or looks, just something comfortable to drive and very reliable. My overall budget is around 7'000. This includes tax and insurance. I've heard the Fiesta Ghia 1.2 is a good starter. Opinions, advice and recomendation's are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 g.a.b.e.

Bear in mind the insurance alone could take up a large chunk of your budget. Have you gotten any quotes so far? I would recommend a small engine size, 1.0 - 1.3. How much of your budget are you setting aside for the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TaiHusky

Well its not so much how much ive put aside for the car, more so the insurance and tax. I'm hoping it won't exceed 2'500 to 3'000. The price of the car is not much of a concern really. Im just looking for something thats a good, easy, comfortable ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Do you plan to get a policy in your own name, or go as a named driver under one of your parents? There will be a price difference between both of these; being a named driver generally working out cheaper. This will be a major factor in determining cash available for the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

As someone who's mate insured his car lately, don't believe all this insurance will cost 3k bull, it won't.

By all means, pick something that's sensible but it's not going to cost 3k. My friends insurance is 1760e in a 1.25 fiesta on a provisional in there own name.

I insured my car for 1100e two years ago when I was 17. 03 Citroen C3. Nothing spectacular but it gets me about to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Good tip.

Just keep getting quotes with Reg plates off DoneDeal with Liberty.

Wait till you get a really good deal and then buy the same type of car and edit details.

Youll be shocked at the difference in quotes when your 18. literally 1000s.

Dont just assume a fiesta will be cheaper than an A4 as in my case many years ago it wasnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just be aware that most insurance companies are aware of the trend of fronting where young drivers get a parent to get the policy in their name and then get added as a named driver while in reality being the main driver of the car to get cheaper insurance. To counter act this most insurance companies just load whoever is the higher risk person on the policy irrespective of whether they are the policy holder or a named driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Are you currently named on your parents car if you're learning how to drive?

My tips:
    - Get your full licence
    - try to build up 1 years no-claims as a named driver on your parents car (you'll get a discount for this with many insurers)
    - Take out the policy in your own name - 1 years pain will mean cheaper premiums in the future
    - Add one or both your parents as named drivers, this should reduce your quote considerably.
    - Try various cars - don't assume that smaller engine = lower quote.
    - Comprehensive is rarely worth it for a first time driver on a low value car

With the above and some assumptions, on Liberty, I managed to get a quote of €1500 TPFT on a 2001 1.25 Ghia Fiesta for an 18 year old, 1 years named NCB.

Do you plan to get a policy in your own name, or go as a named driver under one of your parents? There will be a price difference between both of these; being a named driver generally working out cheaper. This will be a major factor in determining cash available for the car.

I hate to sound naive, but I'm not entirely sure what this mean. From what I knew, it means driving her car if im insured on her policy.

commited wrote: »
    Are you currently named on your parents car if you're learning how to drive?

My tips:
    - Get your full licence
    - try to build up 1 years no-claims as a named driver on your parents car (you'll get a discount for this with many insurers)
    - Take out the policy in your own name - 1 years pain will mean cheaper premiums in the future
    - Add one or both your parents as named drivers, this should reduce your quote considerably.
    - Try various cars - don't assume that smaller engine = lower quote.
    - Comprehensive is rarely worth it for a first time driver on a low value car

With the above and some assumptions, on Liberty, I managed to get a quote of €1500 TPFT on a 2001 1.25 Ghia Fiesta for an 18 year old, 1 years named NCB.

Thanks for the tips! I unfortunately won't be able to drive my moms car as she will be using it for work while I need to get to college :( I love the idea of having her under my policy. Should keep me driving cautiosly too haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

TaiHusky wrote: »
    I hate to sound naive, but I'm not entirely sure what this mean. From what I knew, it means driving her car if im insured on her policy.

Think your missing the point here. The idea was to buy your new car get your mum to insure it and add you as a named driver. That way you can (although technically shouldn't) drive it wherever you want and build up your named driver experience so when you get your own policy in a year or two can demonstrate you've two years experience with no accidents and are less of a risk.

Your full policy premium should be greatly reduced by doing this. Where as if you want your own policy now with no experience you'll be paying a pretty penny for it!

• Advertisement

Think your missing the point here. The idea was to buy your new car get your mum to insure it and add you as a named driver. That way you can (although technically shouldn't) drive it wherever you want and build up your named driver experience so when you get your own policy in a year or two can demonstrate you've two years experience with no accidents and are less of a risk.

Your full policy premium should be greatly reduced by doing this. Where as if you want your own policy now with no experience you'll be paying a pretty penny for it!

Ohh, thats pretty smart. Thanks for the awesome advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just so you are aware. If you do this and you have a claim against you then it will be your mam's or whoever is the policy holder's No Claims Bonus that could be reduced or lost and her insurance goes up.

Also as I mentioned in my earlier post, insurance companies are not dumb, they have a fair idea of who the primary driver of the car maybe irrespective of who the main policy holder is. This is known as fronting and more and more insurance companies are countering acting this by just bumping up the premium on whoever is the higher risk. Not all of them are doing it but it starting to become a trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

It's called fronting and is technically illegal so it's not the best advice in the world. I'm not saying it never happens, but you're running the risk of increasing both your own insurance and your parents insurance if you have an accident as a named driver.

Advertisement