Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

view on r1 big bang vs bmw s1000rr ?

• 12-05-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Am on the lookout for a big bang r1 for a while now- will be using it for pleasure and commuting, no track days.

Excluding the few 125cc bikes I had as a kid, I'm only biking a year and a half and have had a z750 and a gsxr 750.

While looking for the big bang I've seen a few nice bmw s1000rr sports come up for sale. Which would be a better road bike- I know I prefer the looks and sound of the big bang but is the BMW a better all rounder for the road?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

IMHO S1000rr would be a better ROAD bike, easier to ride then the R1 as it has more buttons on it then Cadburys. Give Batman Oh a shout on here, he has had rides on both machines. Best thing to do is take a blip on both machines.

I would prefer the BMW for looks and exclusivity as I have not ridden either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

I've ridden both and had a mate who moved from a Big Bang to an S1000RR.

Go for the BMW.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd prob go BMW also, but there is prob a big price difference to think about - the beemers are not cheap

Zascar wrote: »
    I'd prob go BMW also, but there is prob a big price difference to think about - the beemers are not cheap

If you are able to look at them and buy one, you should be able to afford the run them IMHO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

You can get R1's pretty cheap as they have been around for donkeys, some still pretty decent older ones around for small-ish money. However most of the S1000RR's I've seen are close to the 10k mark. Big difference in money for not a huge difference in bike. It just depends on budget. If money is no object, I'd go with the BMW, however you can probably get a still very decent R1 for close to half the price of the BMW - so value wise that would win for me if I was on a budget.

• Advertisement

Budget and BMW are very rearly in the same sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

If you are commuting you should look at the options of extras such as heated grips, abs and traction control and overall comfort.

I haven't ridden an R1 but being elderly, short and tubby I found the BMW to be far more comfortable than a Fireblade!

Have you considered something like the BMW K1300S? It will pretty much match a sports bike but hugely more comfortable, decent weather protection and luggage options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

able to do some pretty mega upgrades with the price you'll save on the r1 over the beemer

find out the servicing costs too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I'm looking at the big bang model R1, ideally with traction control so 2012 model. Id expect to pay about 12k for one of them, and the s1000rr sport seems to be going for about 11k for a 2011 looking at done deal so not much price difference at all.

I love the sound of the crossplane crank and think the r1 looks better too but the bmw could swing it if it's a nicer ride and easier to live with. Would an indie charge much more for a full service on a bmw vs the r1?

Getting impatient waiting for the rite R1 to come along, thats why I'm thinking of the BMW...so many nice current model r1s in the UK but they all have way less than the required 6k km on the clock to avoid paying VAT twice...there must be a way around this as I see ccs unlimited in Kells just imported a 2014 r1 from charles hurst with only 500km on the clock...nice bike but at 14.5k with no extras it's outta my budget..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Budget and BMW are very rearly in the same sentence.

Surprising enough it's not too bad!
    A lad I know is selling an s1000rr and he's just got it serviced at Bmw.
    The cost of service including checking the valve clearance is €340 which I think is ok'ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

blade1 wrote: »
    Surprising enough it's not too bad!
    A lad I know is selling an s1000rr and he's just got it serviced at Bmw.
    The cost of service including checking the valve clearance is €340 which I think is ok'ish.
    Ditto, I think the service intervals are longer on the BMW as well?

€340 for a service including valve clearences is not too bad IMO, most Jap bikes I've had came in around the €300 mark for same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

pretty good alright..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

KT10 wrote: »
    Ditto, I think the service intervals are longer on the BMW as well?

€340 for a service including valve clearences is not too bad IMO, most Jap bikes I've had came in around the €300 mark for same.

When I was half considering buying an s1000rr hp4 a few weeks back I asked about service costs. They are very reasonable for a main dealer. 340 was for valve check and about 250 for annual I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

batman_oh wrote: »
    When I was half considering buying an s1000rr hp4 a few weeks back I asked about service costs. They are very reasonable for a main dealer. 340 was for valve check and about 250 for annual I think.

The service cost from the BMW main dealers have become a lot more competitive in the last few years. There are also a couple of very good BMW trained independents around also.

One minor, but extremely gratifying benefit of dealing with the main dealers is the availability of a free loaner bike while yours is being serviced. They usually have a choice and it's a great way to try something different or the latest model. I make sure to have a day off when I leave the bike in :)

Advertisement