Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAIO will not start puppy or systemrescuecd

Options
  • 12-05-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I press F11 on the boot logo and I get the initial select version screen for linux.

I have no ability to select anything because the keyboard isn't working, so I wait for the automatic boot. It starts to load the kernel and then just sits there.

Feckin' linux. I just want to recover files from a broken windows install...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you have a access to the internet on another machine create a bootable usb with Puppy on it. Using windows see pendrivelinux.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Download ubuntu ,burn the iso and boot from that. Should be able to boot the live CD and browse your HDD / recover files.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Download mint version 6 32bit, fits on 1 cdr disk.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=35,
    it should boot into memory,
    Without needing keyboard prompt.
    Might take 5 -10 minutes to load depending on cpu speed.

I Used it on 5 laptops ,with no problem.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Linux-Mint

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

hmm, can you borrow a usb keyboard, i have had the same problem on my old laptop, it allowed me to at least use the arrow keys. use a bootable ubuntu cd or usb key.

another options is to use a usb harddrive caddy on another pc(take out the harddrive and put it in the usb ca) pc world and so on sell them. you can then mount the drive and copy the files you want off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Got this sorted. It booted puppy dog no problem. Thanks for the replies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You could have use dsl, damn small linux to do the same thing.
    50meg iso file.
    ie copy the files over to a usb drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

riclad wrote: »
    You could have use dsl, damn small linux to do the same thing.
    50meg iso file.
    ie copy the files over to a usb drive.

hmmmm, I did actually try that one also.

Advertisement