Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Cable Station,Waterville

Options
  • 12-05-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hello,
    been looking at property in Cork/Kerry, and I've seen a few places that look interesting.
    There a load of apartments for sale in the old cable station in Waterville. I think they've been on the market for a fairly long time now so I was wondering is there something really bad wrong with them. I know property sales fell through the floor, but it strikes me as a bit odd that there's about 5 of them on the market for a few years now.
    Does anyone know anything about them ?

Thanks,

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

I looked at them too and I think that its more to do with the fact that its an old building (high ceiling - high heat costs, no open fire) and no real private land (seems to be open for public to walk about) that has curtailed the value.

Most people looking for a holiday home will want some private outdoor space.

I didn't take it any further after an initial look for this specific reason. If were were returning to the area to live and work, it would possibly have made sense, but as a holiday home, it just didn't appeal.

Aside from that, it is a beautiful building, and if it was in a city, it would be highly sought after "loft" style apartments and if you don't care about having private outdoor space and and find heating is not an issue (I didn't check that far), you could get a bargain, but it would not be great as an investment to provide monetary gain.

The other thing is that they are quite small at about 600-700sq ft. A quick check will show that for 120k (and probably open to offers) is a 1400 sq ft house at Waterville Links. - The other issue is banks will not lend for holiday homes at the moment, so the market si restricted to cash buyers. (and if you get a receiver sale, you can bag an absolute bargain!! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

Hi,
    thanks for the reply. Like you I'm looking for a holiday home. I agree about the building - it does look good.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

I was down for the past few days and asked a couple of people about it. Seems the building is fine, good job done on restoration and reason prices are low is because its apartments and a couple of investors need to cash out. At least one is also being sold by a receiver.

The downside is its an apartment, but others would see that as an upside - especially if you don't need private outdoor space.

Obviously get a surveyor to check anything out.

Plenty of options though, but more at teh 100k - 140k mark
    http://www.thepropertyshop.ie/properties.asp?catid=419

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

If you go off the Old Cable Stn, then you would be very welcome to look at my house in Ballybunion. Its up for sale ..... *blatant plug*

check out http://www.daft.ie/sales/1-the-scallops-kit-aherne-road-ballybunion-kerry/718349/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

The thing is Waterville has so many houses for let/sale around the place that it's hard to sell all of them so many just sit on the market (in other words you can bargain) If you do decide to get one then do call in neighbour :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Occasionaluser

These apartments look beautiful in the photos. It sounds like some posters are very knowledgeable about this building. For someone far away, who cannot get to Waterville before Christmas, is there a site that posts more info about them? Additional pics? An article about the restoration back when it was happening? Also, what range of offers might be seriously considered, for one of the two-bedroom apartments? (Current asking price is 59,500.) If any of them are currently used as holiday homes, is there an agency that could be hired to monitor one while it is unoccupied? Is it completely crazy to consider making an offer before seeing them? Thanks for any helpful information about these apartments.

Advertisement