Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary nursing courses

Options
  • 12-05-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys :)

I want to go back to college in September and I was hoping to do veterinary nursing. I've applied for AIT but have to repeat my biology leaving cert in order to matriculate.

But the more I do research into it the more appealing the course in St. John's sounds. At the end if the day they are both accredited courses and when I talked to my local vet he said that once your on the vet. nursing register it doesn't make any difference where you come from.

What are your opinions, anyone who has done or is doing either course? Obviously it's much more appealing to do a 2 year course instead of a 3, not to mention the cheaper cost.

Please help 😥

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

The disadvantage of doing the St John's course is that all you will have is a level 6 qualification in vet nursing. If you go to an IT you will come out with an ordinary degree in science on top of that. Level 6 is fine for a lot of people but you should be aware that a considerable number of students who study veterinary nursing later decide against working as nurses and look for something else. Also many who would like to work as nurses can't find work in a practice so at least they have the science qualification to fall back on. The extra year in Athlone is only one semester of class and the rest is placement finishing at end of April by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Saoirse77

Hi there,

I am also thinking of going back and have applied for St. John's. I already have a degree in Equine Science but none of the college will allow me to be exempt from modules I have already completed. Is anyone else in the same position as myself?
    It also makes it financially very difficult as I won't be eligible for any assistance.

I have also looked at Green Mount in Antrim but an entry requirement is that our have to already be employed by a veterinary practice on their list of TP approve practices. So that brings a whole other aspect to the situation - Yes you can work and attend college 2 days a week but what if I relocate and secure work but don't get accepted to the course. It also costs roughly£2,000.

I would love if anyone could share some info or if they have been in a similar situation or even attended St. John's?

Are you eligible for the back to education allowance?

Are you eligible for the back to education allowance?

No I doubt it as I have degree and also have been working since. I think you have to be siging on for a minimum of 3 months to be eligible.

Tried looking at spring board too but its the same thing not unemployed for long enough.

Yeah I think you have to be unemployed for at least 6 if not 9 months to get BTEA unfortunately. I'm an AIT grad myself so I can't tell you anything about St John's sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kate2293

Yeah I think you have to be unemployed for at least 6 if not 9 months to get BTEA unfortunately. I'm an AIT grad myself so I can't tell you anything about St John's sorry.

What did you think if the AIT course? I've heard it's very science-y

How are you finding it to get work since you graduated??

There is a lot of science, I know I was a bit shocked in first year when I started and found out I'd have to do chemistry and that kind of thing. I got to like science though which I didn't expect! They've made a lot of changes to the course over the last few years and apparently at the last VCI inspection which I think was over a year ago it came out as the top place do vet nursing in Ireland based on course content and practical requirements etc.
    I stayed on to do the optional 4th year in veterinary practice management so I'm just finishing up with that at the moment

Advertisement