Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Cafes

• 12-05-2014 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Are there any laws in regards to how internet cafes operate?

Also, I have a feeling the owner of an internet cafe I use is monitoring what I do on the internet.

For example the owner is Muslin and whenever I've watched videos about Muslim extremism in Europe the next day he acts with a certain attitude around me (not that I watch those videos often).

I'd also be concerned about passwords being stolen etc...

I use my own laptop in the cafe, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

His network, his rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

Kinet1c wrote: »
    His network, his rules.

So there are no laws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I wouldn't trust any internet cafe.

Only because I know how simple it is to monitor everything you do and intercept all your packets ...yes including clear text data & passwords.

You should never ever use a public network connection without routing your traffic through a VPN you have setup at home, or one you trust.

Saying that, I understand that is beyond the understanding and capability of the majority.

Basically, you should never use networks you cant trust for anything important, ie banking, email etc, its common sense

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

You'd have implicit privacy rights and statutory rights (ie Data Protection Act)that cannot be trumped by viewing material online in such a cafe. But as other poster's said, use common sense as those are not secure locales.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I think anyone concerned with information security would know better than to use any Internet cafe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement