Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain name pointing to home server

Options
  • 12-05-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I hope it's not beyond the fine red line what's allowed here....

I bought an .eu domain and I want to use it with my home raspberry pi server. I was hoping that all I have to do is use my (almost) static IP instead of the pre set name sever on domain provider control panel (tutorals on the net claims it's the way to go). The problem is that I can't do it and the provider claims I have to provide 2 name servers and that they should be names like ns1.whatever.com not IP addresses. I could probably set up one name server myself, but definitely I dont have to separate IPs to provide 2 servers.

Is there a solution that I could use, something like external NS provider?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Set the primary dns server to your Static IP and the secondary one to your domain registrars.At least then you have a bit of redundancy if using external mail services etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I was hoping that all I have to do is use my (almost) static IP instead of the pre set name sever on domain provider control panel (tutorals on the net claims it's the way to go).
    Why? Just use your registrar's nameservers, and create a DNS A record with your home IP address

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

All I can see in the control panel on my domain provider webpage is "Name server 1" and "Name server 2". There are no other options.

Mr. G wrote: »
    Set the primary dns server to your Static IP and the secondary one to your domain registrars.At least then you have a bit of redundancy if using external mail services etc

That's exactly what I tried to do, but the webpage didn't accept it (reverted to previous values without showing an error). When I contacted technical support they asked for 2 name servers and they suggested to use name, not an IP number.

I'll be transferring the domain somewhere else - looks like it's a problem that is caused by the registrar setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

PrzemoF wrote: »
    All I can see in the control panel on my domain provider webpage is "Name server 1" and "Name server 2". There are no other options.
    Who's your provider? You don't need to change your nameservers, you need to setup an A record to your home IP address.

Also, because your IP address will sometimes change (are you with UPC, I have the same issue), you may need to setup DynDNS or NoIP on your router to automatically map your current IP address to a domain (e.g przemof.dyndns.org). Once done, you can setup a CNAME record pointing from your www.domain.eu to your dyndns address.

• Advertisement

netshock.pl is the current provider. I'm with UPC and I have ddns set up, so I'll use your advice. Thanks!!

Look like is was an access control problem. I don't have hosting with that provider, so I couldn't see some dns related options that I should be able to modify.
    Thanks for help!

Advertisement